2022 Virgin Active Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

Had a lekker ride today. Everything was perfect, apart from the seemingly never ending headwind. Well done to everyone involved in organising and to all the finishers šŸ’ŖšŸ»

The only wrinkle seems to be the website is down, so no way to check the official results at the moment

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thebob said:

Had a lekker ride today. Everything was perfect, apart from the seemingly never ending headwind. Well done to everyone involved in organising and to all the finishers šŸ’ŖšŸ»

The only wrinkle seems to be the website is down, so no way to check the official results at the moment

Iā€™m not a smart guy but that wind was from the front the entire race.Ā 

Edited by swingTOpeddle

42 minutes ago, swingTOpeddle said:

Iā€™m not a smart guy but that wind was from the front the entire race.Ā 

Tail wind plus fast bunch and we were cruising at 60km/h down the M1.Ā 
when I took woodmead off-ramp my avg speed was 42km/h

Just now, The Ouzo said:

Tail wind plus fast bunch and we were cruising at 60km/h down the M1.Ā 
when I took woodmead off-ramp my avg speed was 42km/h

I did mention Iā€™m not a smart guy šŸ˜¬

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Today was not the day.Ā 
Started with Frosty, the plan was to stick with him to a sub3.Ā 
it lasted 7km and I was done.Ā 
I have not suffered in a race like this for a long time, zero power in the legs, nose running the entire time resulting in me having coughing fits every now and then. Iā€™m still coughing.Ā 
I guess the last few days HRV being lower than normal was an indication of the body fighting something.Ā 
Ā 

Somehow I managed to continue, stopped for short breaks a few times, but could not put the effort in to stick to groups as they passed me.Ā 
Ā 

2 minutes slower than last year is more an indication of the training I put in rather than the race being good.Ā 
Ā 

sub 3 Iā€™m coming for you next year.Ā 

1B627F3A-CE34-41BC-80B3-C94EBDBE87BD.jpeg.feb13b1da8d55bf211253bdfd4492cb6.jpeg

We're in a bit of COVID spike at the moment, I've been off the bike a bit since flying to CT and back the end of last week. Ears blocked, a sense of tiredness, PC tends to be a bit in the minus zone (-4/-5). Even if I had entered I doubt I would have ridden today. Maybe you have the same thing.

This was my first 947 and it could not have been any more miserable.
It all started with a puncture in the first 10km. Changed tubes but not even 5km down the road I got a another puncture. After using my spare tube I had no more tubes left. Thankfully another rider also stopped to fix a slow puncture and he offered his slow punctured tube (Top man). So I just used the tube with a slow puncture to just keep going.

By the time I hit Grayston, that tube also gave out. I made my way to the waterpoint close by and after some kind advice from another rider (what a champ), I got a bottle of foam from Liqui Molly that managed to plug the puncture. That is until after the waterpoint in Fourways. I stopped on the side of the road ready to give up but then a kind family sitting on the side waiting for the friends to come by, offered to ask their friends for a spare tube and without prompt, they sorted me out and sent me on my way (A big thank you to Rikus and Daan and their family and friends, legends!).

After getting to Bryanston and those never ending hills my legs started to cramp up, but after all the help from the best of people I was not going to be stopped. I soldiered on and made my way to the line, not before stopping and helping as many as I could along the way, to pay it forward.

It may have been a miserable race but in terms of the cycling community this was an amazing race. If it weren't for the kindness of strangers I would have given up long before even getting close to finishing.

Will gladly do it again. But I'll be packing at least 4 spare tubes, next time.

8 minutes ago, SundayCycler said:

It all started with a puncture in the first 10km. Changed tubes but not even 5km down the road I got a another puncture. After using my spare tube I had no more tubes left. Thankfully another rider also stopped to fix a slow puncture and he offered his slow punctured tube (Top man). So I just used the tube with a slow puncture to just keep going.

By the time I hit Grayston, that tube also gave out. I made my way to the waterpoint close by and after some kind advice from another rider (what a champ), I got a bottle of foam from Liqui Molly that managed to plug the puncture. That is until after the waterpoint in Fourways. I stopped on the side of the road ready to give up but then a kind family sitting on the side waiting for the friends to come by, offered to ask their friends for a spare tube and without prompt, they sorted me out and sent me on my way (A big thank you to Rikus and Daan and their family and friends, legends!).

After getting to Bryanston and those never ending hills my legs started to cramp up, but after all the help from the best of people I was not going to be stopped. I soldiered on and made my way to the line, not before stopping and helping as many as I could along the way, to pay it forward.

It may have been a miserable race but in terms of the cycling community this was an amazing race. If it weren't for the kindness of strangers I would have given up long before even getting close to finishing.

Well done!

Go tubeless. Since I done it, (touch wood) not a single one.Ā 

9 minutes ago, swingTOpeddle said:

Well done!

Go tubeless. Since I done it, (touch wood) not a single one.Ā 

Never even considered tubeless but today was a great argument for tubeless. Will definitely be looking at going tubeless.

8 minutes ago, SundayCycler said:

Never even considered tubeless but today was a great argument for tubeless. Will definitely be looking at going tubeless.

After beeing recently sat up in a sprint by someone with a puncture, I beg you, if you don't do it for you, do it for me.

30 minutes ago, SundayCycler said:

Please may you provide more details on the foam you are referring to.

Ā 

54 minutes ago, SundayCycler said:

It's very unusual to get that many punctures in such quick succession. You could try some hardshell tyres. See the link below. And always carry a Park Tool punture repair kit (small but works well) and a small pump anyway. Ā Tubeless is an option but has its downsides too. Maintenance is one. A different option is use a tube with sealant designed for tubes. See the Ryder product.

https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tires/race-tires/gator-hardshell

Edited by MudLark