2022 Virgin Active Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

3 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Looks like the timing results are a bit screwed.

A number of finish times that way inside of the Elites finish time.

Some with avg speed > 200KMH eish.

On a more serious note, see that so far there are only 8900 odd finishers. That seems way down on the supposed 15000 odd entrants?

Flippen Ebikers 😇

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Jared got away at Kyalami.  Super stong!
I got a gap 8km to go.  Held the bunch off.  Just.  
Photo looks 5 seconds?  Think at the speeds we were going it was like 1 second.

2022-11-20 (8).JPG

Well done! You also attacked before one of the climbs. I was with you after the guy was shouting at the bike to get out of the way 🤣. I was in the proconics kit with Giant. 

yip, gap in the sprint bunch was not more than 5 seconds at that speed. 

9 minutes ago, agilwolf said:

I see there's now a query page for the results.  Many riders not listed in the results due to "technical" issues with the road side scanners ...

Results query

Having been out of the loop for a while a perhaps dumb question, will these results be pulled through to the Recetec platform? It is kind of cool to have (almost) all results on record in one place.

Why the move away from Racetec?

7 minutes ago, agilwolf said:

Just for the giggles, look at the finish times listed on the results page for the Open Seeded 97km groups

image.png

Yes I have that Tks: but being 76 why must I compete with the last category of 60+: there is no logic 

If I can believe my "source", the Racetec system is being regarded as old technology and the time needed to process the results took to long; up to 5 days.  Whereas the "new" systems, IF / WHEN they work, give instant results.

7 minutes ago, agilwolf said:

If I can believe my "source", the Racetec system is being regarded as old technology and the time needed to process the results took to long; up to 5 days.  Whereas the "new" systems, IF / WHEN they work, give instant results.

doubt it, always had my racetec result within hours (sometimes even less) after I finished.

This new crowd best get their act together. I gave them the benefit of the doubt last year as they were new, but a year down the line and they still cant (wont) do batch groupings.

Plus as had been mention (today and previously), with 20+ years of races under the belt I really liked having the results all in one place (aka racetec site).

1 hour ago, DanMan said:

I don't think CSA can force organizers to use one number. Lots of money are being made by timing companies selling their boards and seeding data.  I think organizers would prefer to work with professional timing companies than using a CSA system permanently. Just my opinion. 

54 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Quick boring analysis between this year and last year on the same route.

2021 Vets racing (VC) 2:38 - Top 10 finish
2022 Open seeded A 2:29 - Top 10 finish

On the power graph, 2022 (purple) the accelerations in A were harder (more watts).  Mainly I think it's because you race against young guys.
As for the time.  You can see that the first half, the speed in the A group this year were MUCH faster than last year's Vets.  So the time was made up there.  Second half the speeds correlate plus minus with the Vets climbing the hills a little faster.

The once BIG difference I saw was that last year's avg temp was 14 degrees and this years 20

Matches TSS Kj NP Avg Watts Avg HR Avg Cadence
2021 43 287 2334 299 245 153 86
2022 44 250 2161 299 238 153 84

Untitled.jpg

This is great.

I think one also has to look at the total quantum of riders in the various CATS ie A / VA / VB / VC etc Would be nice to do a comparison between that as well.

I raced in the VB CAT and we had not more than i'd say 55 people, there were around 5 teams and the rest were individuals, i felt the first half was super slow as there were no attacks and the guys were rolling and talking until Woodmead where things started to happen and the teams started to jostle around and positioning became important. I led the pace up into the kyalami track until we entered where the first major attack happened from Bekker Steel, we all as a group managed to group up again by the end of kyalami and everyone sat up and hugged and hi fived each other and spoke about the rest of the plans for the day was.

The exit of kyalami saw the 2nd big attack and this split the group into two, i unfortunately was part of the latter however we managed to bridge this gap on the way to Witkoppen. I personally held on until the climb up until Dunkeld where that was the end of the day for me. I solod from Dunkeld all the way until Nasrec alone where the VC leaders caught me, I moved over and let them thru, the rest of the VC peloton guys caught me just before the finish.

This race illustrated to me that numbers are so important, and also if you get dropped and you are dropped with 10-15 guys, your pace is not entirely lost and you can work well together to get to the finish. Riding alone from Dunkeld into that headwind after trying to close down attacks were just super hard and I was spent by the time i got home. Nevertheless the A batch guys were flying yesterday, my mate was so stoked as he wanted to break a sub 3 and landed up doing a 2.29.

25 minutes ago, agilwolf said:

Just for the giggles, look at the finish times listed on the results page for the Open Seeded 97km groups

image.png

I looked last night, and it looks like the first 41 were suspect, and the list has grown since. I'd imagine some e-bikes could be in the mix, but 2:28 is a legit time for open seeded.

9 minutes ago, agilwolf said:

The technology might be a bit old, not arguing there. But results are always up on the same day as the event including for the CTCT which have 20K+ entrants. And for all its imperfections I have never seen another seeding system in SA come close to the Racetec seeding system.

Yes what they don't have (or don't do quite well) is the instant tracking thing - which is usually a bit messy anyway.

The timing companies surely works with CSA. All our info is available to them via our CSA license. Advertising do not need to be a problem. The old Nissan Trailseeker had a system you pay on line, fit your board and rocks up. No need to travel twice just to get a water bottle for frre. Us "plattelanders" wiil save alot and can use the savings on other races. 

It was a different timing company that did the timing this year compared to last.
Both use the same equipment, so it's a matter of how they present the data.

Peak Timing are mostly (99.99%) running, so it's developed around the runners' data.

2 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

The technology might be a bit old, not arguing there. But results are always up on the same day as the event including for the CTCT which have 20K+ entrants. And for all its imperfections I have never seen another seeding system in SA come close to the Racetec seeding system.

Yes what they don't have (or don't do quite well) is the instant tracking thing - which is usually a bit messy anyway.

With lots of data, across a lot of events, they have critical mass.

In the old days of WinningTime and ChampionChip, it was a schlep to get race data from both to be able to seed riders.

I still believe CyclingSA should have a central database, where results are sent, by race organisers, so that seeding can be pulled from that one single database. All sanctioned events use that database, and then send it to the timing company to import into their system. It can be done, but the timing companies usually get the blame when seeding is wrong.

What the PPA do well, is keep you in a group for a period of time. You keep your race number for that period, and can only upgrade when they run the new "seeding". 

5 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Peak Timing are mostly (99.99%) running, so it's developed around the runners' data.

well the wheel was invented, so there is no reason for anyone to run. And us folks with wheels do things differently. they need to adapt.