2022 Virgin Active Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

5 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Same spot last year was sponsored by EuropCar. 

My guess is that company pays organiser to be at a prime spot, part of the package they pay for is photos with their branding plastered everywhere and to ensure maximum exposure all photos from this prime position are available FOC.

The same guys that put on the Trailseeker events put on the 947 mtb ride (AP photographed all of those events and included in the race entry fee was the entire photo pack) there is obviously a fee paid to AP from the organisers for being there and capturing etc.

The stupid branded RAF activation was going to be in the photos anyway so why are only those photos paid for at the expense of the sponsor. Especially considering the amount of entrants in a typical mtb race (600 - 700 at the 50km 947 race) vs the estimated 18000 entrants of the 947 race. That is a huge difference - I received 16 photos in my photo pack for free and now I get 4. 

To get the digital photos from AP is going to cost R80 a pop on top of the R700 spent for the entry.

Apologies for the rant. It was my 1st road race so really wanted to keep them for the memory bank.

Edited by BrettS
Incorrect total of photos received 16 not 14

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, BrettS said:

The same guys that put on the Trailseeker events put on the 947 mtb ride (AP photographed all of those events and included in the race entry fee was the entire photo pack) there is obviously a fee paid to AP from the organisers for being there and capturing etc.

The stupid branded RAF activation was going to be in the photos anyway so why are only those photos paid for at the expense of the sponsor. Especially considering the amount of entrants in a typical mtb race (600 - 700 at the 50km 947 race) vs the estimated 18000 entrants of the 947 race. That is a huge difference - I received 14 photos in my photo pack for free and now I get 4. 

To get the digital photos from AP is going to cost R80 a pop on top of the R700 spent for the entry.

Apologies for the rant. It was my 1st road race so really wanted to keep them for the memory bank.

Never done any MTB events, but with road events there has always been a cost involved in getting your pics, dating way back to the late 90's (the costs and quality of photos over the years is a debate for an entirely different thread)

1 minute ago, The Ouzo said:

Never done any MTB events, but with road events there has always been a cost involved in getting your pics, dating way back to the late 90's (the costs and quality of photos over the years is a debate for an entirely different thread)

So I should stick to MTB :D

8 minutes ago, BrettS said:

The stupid branded RAF activation was going to be in the photos anyway so why are only those photos paid for at the expense of the sponsor. Especially considering the amount of entrants in a typical mtb race (600 - 700 at the 50km 947 race) vs the estimated 18000 entrants of the 947 race. That is a huge difference - I received 14 photos in my photo pack for free and now I get 4. 

https://ridejoburg.co.za/road-raf-smile-zone-2022-photos/

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

My first CTCT (2022) I wanted to buy photos.  I was pleasantly surprised at the quality, the number of pics available ... and the many different packages available.

Trans Augrabies have a team of photographers and videographers they employ for the race.  Photos, including high print quality, is available free of charge.  My best ever MTB pic 👍  should add, I saw the photographers, and created some space so they could get a good pic.

Vines&Views MTB had a similar setup.  Unfortunately each time I saw the cameras too late, and was behind other riders .... did not bother to find out if I could get print quality.  They certainly did post some very good photos of many other riders.

So, @The Ouzo  for the sake of a good pic we will see you at Trans Augrabies 2023

Did anyone else also noticed the spelling mistake on the elevation profile/water points sticker for your top tube? Killometer (double L) instead of Kilometer?😄

A bit of a bad form for such a prominent / prestigious event on the race calendar.

The longer those stickers have been on the bike or your helmet the tougher they are to remove ... if they're still on best to get to them!

3 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

The longer those stickers have been on the bike or your helmet the tougher they are to remove ... if they're still on best to get to them!

Meths

And if that doesn't work, strain it through some brown bread, drink the liquid that drains through and all the 947 worries will go away. In fact, the photo's might actually look top class too

Yes, its cycling related - brown bread is healthy