Second water bottle

WaynejG

My cycling buddy is looking for options to fit a second water bottle. His bikes frame rules out the Lezyne Holy Rail. He has a dropper post so that cancels a seatpost bottle mount. Camelbak has been tried and not liked. What other bike mounted options are there that we might have missed?

Well if he's not fussed ( I'm hardcore function over form ) then wrap some electric insulation tape properly around two spots on the top tube and some Meneer cable ties

Sideload will be better cause there's less force involved (placing and removing bottle )  to help it not move 

You get attachments that you can fix to saddle rails that can fit one or two bottles behind the saddle (think tri bike type setup but works on mtb as well)

I actually have one of them lying around if he is interested you welcome to contact me

Bit dirty in the photos sorry 🙈 last time I used it was Around the snotpot

5463C0B5-8E75-4BA3-9387-9A13498DABF9.jpeg

25063BA3-A1D6-48C7-82D1-3A62E19098C7.jpeg

8 hours ago, Groot_Trek said:

You get attachments that you can fix to saddle rails that can fit one or two bottles behind the saddle (think tri bike type setup but works on mtb as well)

I actually have one of them lying around if he is interested you welcome to contact me

Bit dirty in the photos sorry 🙈 last time I used it was Around the snotpot

5463C0B5-8E75-4BA3-9387-9A13498DABF9.jpeg

25063BA3-A1D6-48C7-82D1-3A62E19098C7.jpeg

Thank you but will the dropper seatpost not be a issue?

Edited by WaynejG
Punctuation

17 minutes ago, WaynejG said:

Thank you but will the dropper seatpost not be a issue?

Dont know..Could be tight. I dont ride with dropper so not sure, the cage I used is very stiff so sure bottle will stick in cage but not sure if bottle cage will touch the back wheel

This is the only photo I could find now to show how it looks installed

I also saw some guys with bottle cages mounted to their forks when we did ATP.. maybe I missed this phenomena but it was a first for me!

04946396-9C07-4C0E-9B24-DC9E6F677B2C.jpeg

My bike only had space for one cage and I rode with one of these: https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-bags-panniers/bontrager-rapid-pack/p/14798/?colorCode=greendark

You barely notice it’s there and I ended up riding with it for all my rides. Plus there is space for tools, phone etc. If the ride was particularly long, I would pack a full size bottle. The pack is very stretchy, so it hugs your body and doesn’t bounce around. 

46 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Something like this that mount the 2 bottles next to each other. 

Screenshot_20221122_065338.jpg

I got this on my bike, work 100%.

I tried most of the above, seat mounted, bar mounted, stuffed in feed bag. If you are riding terrain 'gnarly' enough or fast enough to warrant a dropper it will not hold a bottle properly.

My final resolution was to sell the bike and buy a dual suspension with 2 bottle cage mounts in the front triangle.  For XC a single bottle cage is perfect, but marathon and stage racing it is a deal breaker in my opinion.
Regarding camelbak options. A trail running pack with 2 soft flasks. is usually very comfortable and practical.

Has he actually measured the gap on his dropper post when its down, or is he just assuming it won't fit.

I had a dropper post with about 2.5" stick out above the seat clamp - used 2 Ryder clamps with a C02 T bracket redrilled the holes to mount on the ryder clamps and then mounted the bottle cage on the T clamp - can only take a short bottle, but i have about 5mm gap at the tire at full suspension compression and the same at the top when the post is fully dropped. the trick is to play around with the spacing when the post is down and suspension is compressed before drilling the T bracket. 

My issue was then all the mud and dust on the bottle - So now i use it for a tool bag and use one of the short clamshell tool bags - Pulled the trigger on a USWE hydration pack with 1.5L bladder, only fill it with 1L of water and nothing else - the problem why many people don't like hydration packs is because they get ones that are too big with 3L bladders and lots of pockets, when they go riding it looks like they off to the western front for 6 months