Winelands Trails - Expanded Regional Permit

JayLow

I did a quick spreadsheet to work out costs depending on membership and distance from trails. It was a rush job so I might have a wrong formula somewhere but it looks like its working. It also has a bike maintenance cost at R2.50 /km in it (this is E-bike rates). 

Fill in the green values and it will spit out numbers

I think it works 😁

Trail Costs.xlsx

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Problem is you can' really ride TBMC properly with a day pass - at least not one and even with more than one the member only corridors still make it annoying.

they'll need to adapt or die in the long run, but chances are they'll probably hold fast and be stubborn instead 😅.  Being a big fish in a small pond means you can throw your weight around and complain about basic trail maintenance the whole time 😇 

At what stage do paying people start saying..."hmm R1100 for 185km vs R1800 for almost 10x more trails"

This pass is real value for the peeps that side. If I could choose I'd take it over the Tygerberg membership any day of the week since there is so much more on offer that side in terms of variety. Tygerberg has nothing on those trails in that sense. They are fun sure...but everything is the same over here with the exception of the Rhino's maybe. 

And like you mention....it's like they know the only way for you to link up the trails is to use the corridors and you have to be a member to use those. It is one of the only reasons I have a board -  the corridors, since I ride to most of the trail heads from home...but my daypass friends cant follow me around between the trails - which is just super dumb. 

imagine a board that gives you access to every single one of the mtb networks down here in CT, or even just this side of the boerewors gordyn. Now there's a dream! 

42 minutes ago, MORNE said:

they'll need to adapt or die in the long run, but chances are they'll probably hold fast and be stubborn instead 😅.  Being a big fish in a small pond means you can throw your weight around and complain about basic trail maintenance the whole time 😇 

At what stage do paying people start saying..."hmm R1100 for 185km vs R1800 for almost 10x more trails"

This pass is real value for the peeps that side. If I could choose I'd take it over the Tygerberg membership any day of the week since there is so much more on offer that side in terms of variety. Tygerberg has nothing on those trails in that sense. They are fun sure...but everything is the same over here with the exception of the Rhino's maybe. 

And like you mention....it's like they know the only way for you to link up the trails is to use the corridors and you have to be a member to use those. It is one of the only reasons I have a board -  the corridors, since I ride to most of the trail heads from home...but my daypass friends cant follow me around between the trails - which is just super dumb. 

imagine a board that gives you access to every single one of the mtb networks down here in CT, or even just this side of the boerewors gordyn. Now there's a dream! 

If I could only change one thing about Tygerberg it would be the day pass system - so frustrating that I cannot invite non-members or friends from out of time to do a day of riding with me on our trails. I would give the club the benefit of the doubt and I assume there are good reasons for this, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.

9 hours ago, ChristiaanSt said:

I did a quick spreadsheet to work out costs depending on membership and distance from trails. It was a rush job so I might have a wrong formula somewhere but it looks like its working. It also has a bike maintenance cost at R2.50 /km in it (this is E-bike rates). 

Fill in the green values and it will spit out numbers

I think it works 😁

Trail Costs.xlsx 13.11 kB · 10 downloads

Nice work here. I guess for me Winelands is a no-brainer. Living in Somerset West, so most of these are riding distance from home, so the travel cost becomes moot. PS Winelands day fees going to R100 a day from 2023, so you’ll want to update that one. 

On 11/24/2022 at 4:59 PM, ChrisF said:

Ja, vryf dit in ....

Good deal for the locals.

Now if only Tygerberg and Bottelary could do a deal ....

I am not sure if this is still relevant, but I recall Adrian (former chairman of TBMTBC) and TBMTBC parted ways around 10 years ago and that the parting was not that amicable. He then headed up Botlary at the time. 

I was a TBMTBC member until I moved to Somerset West. What I like about the Winelands setup is that day membership gives you access to ALL the trails on the network, not just one at a time and no access to the secret-special-members-only sections like the TBMTBC setup. Hence why I haven’t ridden TBMTBC since moving to SW. 

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any reason why Polkadraai Bike Park is excluded from the permit? As its included in the local bottlelary permit? Surely it would be beneficial, as it will attract more rubber to the park? 
Been a Bottelary member for years, and now invested in the Winelands Regional Permit, to allow for move variety, now the one place i did use on a regular basis, is off limits. 

1 hour ago, leon_pro said:

Is there any reason why Polkadraai Bike Park is excluded from the permit? As its included in the local bottlelary permit? Surely it would be beneficial, as it will attract more rubber to the park? 
Been a Bottelary member for years, and now invested in the Winelands Regional Permit, to allow for move variety, now the one place i did use on a regular basis, is off limits. 

As I read it it does include polkadraai, or have you heard different from them?

0CF7291E-C2BF-4723-AB91-98812462E82D.png.ec1ccb03aa7607917969114b4895bbd2.png

17 minutes ago, Christie said:

A bit off topic, but what happened to Paul Cluver? I dont see it listed.

Paul Cluver appears to be closed for day visitors. I think they only do events through the farm. A shame really, as it was one my favourite spots to ride when I wanted something more wild. 

45 minutes ago, Christie said:

A bit off topic, but what happened to Paul Cluver? I dont see it listed.

Mtbers on a hiking trail had a bad attitude with Paul Cluver (the owner) when he confronted them about being on the wrong trail. 

We really are out own worst enemy. 

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

Mtbers on a hiking trail had a bad attitude with Paul Cluver (the owner) when he confronted them about being on the wrong trail. 

We really are out own worst enemy. 

It's that 10 percent of people across the board whose personality traits place them in the category @$$. There is some anecdotal evidence however that suggests we cyclists constitute a self selected sample which skews this percentage upwards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 8:56 PM, Mamil said:

place them in the category @$$

I always knew the people seeded in those groups at roadie events were numpties😁

3 hours ago, Jako De Wet said:

Has anyone successfully bought one of these regional permits online?

You start off at the winelandstrails.com website, but when you try and purchase a Regional Permit, it takes you to https://wcc.alumnet.co.za/shop and the page just never loads?

Same problem in multiple browsers - gave up in frustration

42 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Same problem in multiple browsers - gave up in frustration

Thanks. Got in touch with someone that knows someone that should be able to get the site back up and running. Hopefully be sorted later in the week.