Chainring 34T vs 36T oval

Lukas Ferreira

6 minutes ago, 117 said:

Thanks Mm. I have the app already, and used it to do some set up work etc. 

I'll fiddle with it this evening and see what I can extract

Click on the notifications symbol middle of the top menu bar next to SRAM logo - all your ride info should be in there

image.png.675b9c44fa92c48a00168c8baa4b09b3.png

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilco, thanks. 

Do you need to sync the Rd and phone after every ride to download?

Sorry, rookie questions

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I reckon, without trying to break the internet, that one could look at it this way...

IF the oval is just marketing hogwash, is it WORSE that a round one?

If not, then who cares?

Realistically though it's trivial and doesn't matter

Agreed, well put. Oval is not worse in a case where the OP does not have a chainring already.

A miatake would be to buy an oval 36 ring vs a standard 34 round in thw hope that the oval shape will provide the extra power to turn the 36. 

Imo some bike shops upsell customers by suggesting an oval ring as an upgrade - which is good sales tactics, but bad for the consumer. A powerbalance band would give the same placebo for less money.

1 hour ago, 100Tours said:

That doesn't seem accurate?

if you draw a straight line between 2 non-adjacent teeth on a chainring then that would be a shorter distance than the line drawn along the curve. So you would pull less chain for the same leg movement through the part of the stroke where the teeth on the oval ring lie inside of the teeth on a circular ring.

Not commenting on the marketing hype, but your geometry argument is wrong.

You’re forgetting that the circumferential speed will differ. The same number of teeth are still the same. Small diameter cord speed goes up larger diameter it goes down. For a full revolution it’s the same number of teeth involved therefore gearing is unchanged 

I used to be A hardcore believer that ovals are better , but they're just different

Been running ovals religiously since 2016 and been on A single speed for most of 2020 and 2021 and on my newest bike i upgraded to a 32 over the standard 30 and its round , just cause ovals weren't available

I'm not noticing anything adverse , but i am noticing I'm gring up climbs in heavy gears rather than spinning

but that's obviously from the single speeding.

Different strokes , as long as people are riding then good.

I'll put either on now

15 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

I used to be A hardcore believer that ovals are better , but they're just different

Been running ovals religiously since 2016 and been on A single speed for most of 2020 and 2021 and on my newest bike i upgraded to a 32 over the standard 30 and its round , just cause ovals weren't available

I'm not noticing anything adverse , but i am noticing I'm gring up climbs in heavy gears rather than spinning

but that's obviously from the single speeding.

Different strokes , as long as people are riding then good.

I'll put either on now

You’re right they’re just different for the sake of it. And come in different colours and funky designs so people like starlings will grab shiney things.

image.png.85d7c15373844cf8f761091cb90577bf.png

This stats on gear usage is awesome.  I'm using Archer Components Trail D1x which give me perfect shifting but unfortunately no such info on gear usage ... :( .

This would probably be the sole reason for me to go AXS once my Trail D1x is finished in future.

Edited by TheoG

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I reckon, without trying to break the internet, that one could look at it this way...

IF the oval is just marketing hogwash, is it WORSE that a round one?

If not, then who cares? It retains the chain and moves the back wheel.

The truth is, most people aren't remotely close enough power/fitness wise to eke out the 2% gains advertised as that 2% probably only happens at a w/kg avg way higher than most put out.

It's the perceived differences and preferences that people buy into. Like EZ grips. They are actually junk but people swear they are THE best grip out there.

Much like 32 vs 34... there is very little difference to the average cyclist as they will just adjust how they ride and their cadence to their gearing, not the other way round. 

If you're asking a public forum these questions, you are likely still nowhere near a finished product as a cyclist so if you go 32 you will likely develop slightly faster leg speed on the flats and if you go 34 you will likely start to become a top end grinder on steep climbs.

Realistically though it's trivial and doesn't matter

I've worn through 3 ovals on my Mtb alone and used to chew through one a year despite not clocking major mileage- and I keep my XX1 chain clean. I have gone back to round. I DID feel like there was some benefit when I fitted the ovals (AB and CSIXX) on my Mtb and Rotor on my roadbike but I feel I got shitty life out of all of them and it felt better when I went back to round on both my bikes. I don't think their teeth are as hard as OEM round rings.

7 hours ago, madmarc said:

You can download it from App store and Google play store

image.png.696dfaa038f6b7d9ac42b5589601508c.png

It works on all SRAM AXS models I run GX Eagle - its also used to set up your drive train

RD Micro adjustment

Configure how you want your shifter buttons to work.

Battery level

Firmware updates

BTW i have the AXS connected to my Garmin 520 as well - tells me what gear im in and warns me if the battery is low.

Every ride uploads to the app like Strava but gives you some analytics of drive train / rider / Route map etc etc - for me it's actually gives better info than the STRAVA free subscription 

Component summary from Northern Farms

image.png.85d7c15373844cf8f761091cb90577bf.png

Another from Modders

image.png.16ab0ae2646ffc83ced15c953b785d20.png

SBR on the 34T chainring

image.png.9d61f7d2c0ecc17e9663ad097103b0ba.png

SBR on the 32T chainring - I hadn't changed the 34 to 32 in the app but it makes no difference when reviewing the time in each gear.

image.png.ef10624a9cd6ade877a6e19707f74614.png

My ***. I learnt something. Thanks for sharing what info is available. 
Some reading to do tonight. 

22 hours ago, 117 said:

Wilco, thanks. 

Do you need to sync the Rd and phone after every ride to download?

Sorry, rookie questions

The rides seem to sync automatically - I've never had to connect the app to sync the ride. But if the bike is standing in the garage and i want to check the battery or play with the settings then i have to connect the app to the bike - need to wake up the components by shaking the bike or shifting. The RD is the main component and must connect first then the shifter connects - it takes a few minutes though.

I also see the app caters for if you have the electronic reverb dropper post / TyreWiz tyre pressure gizzmo and i would imagine their new electronic suspension will be able to connect as well.

Also google what can be connected direct to your Garmin - I have the battery level connected which will warn you when your battery is low which is cool and a screen that tells you which gear you in which is more of a gimmick as my lungs tell me which gear i'm in and i need to change

1 hour ago, madmarc said:

The rides seem to sync automatically - I've never had to connect the app to sync the ride. But if the bike is standing in the garage and i want to check the battery or play with the settings then i have to connect the app to the bike - need to wake up the components by shaking the bike or shifting. The RD is the main component and must connect first then the shifter connects - it takes a few minutes though.

I also see the app caters for if you have the electronic reverb dropper post / TyreWiz tyre pressure gizzmo and i would imagine their new electronic suspension will be able to connect as well.

Also google what can be connected direct to your Garmin - I have the battery level connected which will warn you when your battery is low which is cool and a screen that tells you which gear you in which is more of a gimmick as my lungs tell me which gear i'm in and i need to change

Thanks Marc

Sneaky.... SRAM only allows Garmin, Karoo and Wahoo to connect to the system for the stats. I run a Lezyne and although the Rd does connect via blue tooth to my unit up front (showing battery and not much else) it doesnt do the gearing statistics that is on offer if you run a Garmin et al. 

We do also run a Garmin in the fleet and we were able to connect that via the apps/webpages with not too much hassle. Its the Lezyne that now is an issue and I'll be buggered if I want to spend 6k just to see if I have a too big a chainring or not on an app. I'll be better off buying a bunch of chain ring sizes from the Kiwi and doing some ride tests. If you must know, I run a 36t round on 12spd slx cassette, and I'm considering going to a 32 round just for the Drak Descent event. I'm not a climber - gravity doesn't allow me to do well in those events...hence I assumed the app stats would enlighten me if I needed a 32t or 34t... I guess a 32t cant hurt. 

See, we did a full oval back to chain ring topic right there 🙂

Edited by 117

26 minutes ago, 117 said:

Thanks Marc

Sneaky.... SRAM only allows Garmin, Karoo and Wahoo to connect to the system for the stats. I run a Lezyne and although the Rd does connect via blue tooth to my unit up front (showing battery and not much else) it doesnt do the gearing statistics that is on offer if you run a Garmin et al. 

We do also run a Garmin in the fleet and we were able to connect that via the apps/webpages with not too much hassle. Its the Lezyne that now is an issue and I'll be buggered if I want to spend 6k just to see if I have a too big a chainring or not on an app. I'll be better off buying a bunch of chain ring sizes from the Kiwi and doing some ride tests. If you must know, I run a 36t round on 12spd slx cassette, and I'm considering going to a 32 round just for the Drak Descent event. I'm not a climber - gravity doesn't allow me to do well in those events...hence I assumed the app stats would enlighten me if I needed a 32t or 34t... I guess a 32t cant hurt. 

See, I we did a full oval back to chain ring topic right there 🙂

Not sure if it is even possible, but, cant you record a ride on the AXS app and get the stats that way?

Nope. The AXS app is just a portal really. 

Its the gps unit which records how long you were in which gear, based on a time scale because it knows which gear you are in - this is transmitted to the gps unit from the Rd

23 minutes ago, 117 said:

Thanks Marc

See, I we did a full oval back to chain ring topic right there 🙂

I dont know the Lezyne app, if you can get the .fit file from the lezyne you can upload it into the ASX app on the desktop site - Maybe try that and see what info it loads

On 12/10/2022 at 6:20 PM, Lukas Ferreira said:

Hallo 

i'm a novice on the mtb and I'm busy building a bike. What chainring is a beter all round for doing some weekend trails 

34T or 36T? I'll be pairing it with a 10 -52 cassette 

I don,t think you get a 36 oval .I ride 34 oval and if you have a 52 at the back it is plenty .A 34 oval gives you effectively a 36 speed ,and with a 10 it is enough .i also have a 32 oval that climbs better ,but also works on tar . Short answer ,use a 34 oval on and thank me later 

Edited by eala