Check wear on MTB 12 speed chain

justinlo

51 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Sorry ou's but as a non "anorak" I'd rather take the Sheriff's advice and ride my stuff till it's dead .... but that's probably just me the "luddite"

These "micro millimeter" discussions go over my head

Each to their own.

the problem with this is if you tried this with a SRAM XO1 or XX1 cassette you'd be in for R8k to R10k replacement when a cheap R350 tool can help you get the maximum useful life out of the chain before you wreck the cassette.

as for financial gain, If we consider that a 12 s chain at will wear from 0.5% to 0.75% within months and that at this point the shifting performance, and chain retention is shot and the the cassette is not going to work with a new chain. If I apply my mileage accumulation of around 6000km /annum on the mtb = one chain and one chain ring (OEM parts i.e SRAM Xsync2 and XX1 chain) replaced at <0.5% wear

Chain ring = R1600

Chain = R1800

Total = R3400 per annum

cassette last me 4 years therefore my running costs over the life of the cassette = 

(3xR3400) = R10200-00 roughly over 24000km (R0.43c /km)

If I run the chain and cassette to absolute end of useful life I would be replacing both every 18months or 9000km? I'd be in for 

Chain ring = R1600

Chain = R1800

Cassette = R10000

or R13400 at the 18000km point and roughly R0.75c/km

I think I'll take the 43c/km running cost option, wouldn't you?

Disclaimer: Individual usage cases may alter actual running costs

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be very interested to know the stats of how many ride their stuff to death and how many carefully analyze wear and replace timeously... not interested enough to create a poll though, I'm off to Hector Norris Park to go do something different on a bike for a change 😎

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Interesting that you do not include learn….

people who understand this drawing know why a cc-2 doesn’t work well and instead use a CC-4.

people that don’t understand it….promote the cc-2 and other inside checkers

D6640BC7-877C-4E94-8FB2-612929A2E79A.jpeg

Learning is very much part and parcel of what I’ve done being a bike mechanic for the past 33 years.

Learning never stops, except for the Bornman clan that graduated from the Dunning Kruger UNI with distinction.

4 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I'd be very interested to know the stats of how many ride their stuff to death and how many carefully analyze wear and replace timeously... not interested enough to create a poll though, I'm off to Hector Norris Park to go do something different on a bike for a change 😎

Please wake me up when all the chest beating here in this fred is done.

Have a lekker burn Bennie 👍🏼

5 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

those are two extremes. I'm sure there are many varieties in-between.

Many will replace under advisement of their LBS. They may find that in order to ensure they are getting good advice they would would like a simple tool that they can use at home and trust.

Some will like to simply know when to start putting some ZAR aside for a new chain. A simple tool will help

Others may be a lot more anaal about wear measurements. Good luck to them I say.

For most users, a simple tool that measures the right thing is more than enough. CC-2/CC3.2 and a host of similar knock offs do not do this. They're old tech, old flawed thinking that no longer applies to the modern bicycle drivetrain

9 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp said:

Please wake me up when all the chest beating here in this fred is done.

Have a lekker burn Bennie 👍🏼

is your chest hurting already?

14 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Each to their own.

the problem with this is if you tried this with a SRAM XO1 or XX1 cassette you'd be in for R8k to R10k replacement when a cheap R350 tool can help you get the maximum useful life out of the chain before you wreck the cassette.

as for financial gain, If we consider that a 12 s chain at will wear from 0.5% to 0.75% within months and that at this point the shifting performance, and chain retention is shot and the the cassette is not going to work with a new chain. If I apply my mileage accumulation of around 6000km /annum on the mtb = one chain and one chain ring (OEM parts i.e SRAM Xsync2 and XX1 chain) replaced at <0.5% wear

Chain ring = R1600

Chain = R1800

Total = R3400 per annum

cassette last me 4 years therefore my running costs over the life of the cassette = 

(3xR3400) = R10200-00 roughly over 24000km (R0.43c /km)

If I run the chain and cassette to absolute end of useful life I would be replacing both every 18months or 9000km? I'd be in for 

Chain ring = R1600

Chain = R1800

Cassette = R10000

or R13400 at the 18000km point and roughly R0.75c/km

I think I'll take the 43c/km running cost option, wouldn't you?

Disclaimer: Individual usage cases may alter actual running costs

There's an easier way.

Run a GX Cassette - it survive the upcoming nuclear fallout from the Koeberg meltdown.

Run a GX chain at around 650 bucks with a Csixx Chainring. Ride the chain ring until it starts to look like sharks teeth and the chain starts slipping.

Keep everything lubed and clean as best as possible and spend the money you saved on post ride beers..  Leave the measuring to surveyors ..life will be better :)

1 hour ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Sorry ou's but as a non "anorak" I'd rather take the Sheriff's advice and ride my stuff till it's dead .... but that's probably just me the "luddite"

These "micro millimeter" discussions go over my head

I’ve decided to take my workshop a little beyond the home workstand and YouTube centre.

DB7EDFA2-C159-4A57-9B0A-2FF45F4DE82F.jpeg

This doesn't have to be personal.

Measuring inside to inside is making assumptions about the roller diameter. With some 12 speed chains where the roller diameter jumps to 7.9mm from the usual 7.65mm it's a problem.

Even Park Tool say you must use the CC-4 for chains with a larger roller.

image.png.0803e6a13aa4e5ef2be922c464a1e475.png

6 minutes ago, Showtime said:

This doesn't have to be personal.

Measuring inside to inside is making assumptions about the roller diameter. With some 12 speed chains where the roller diameter jumps to 7.9mm from the usual 7.65mm it's a problem.

Even Park Tool say you must use the CC-4 for chains with a larger roller.

image.png.0803e6a13aa4e5ef2be922c464a1e475.png

Luckily I have both.

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

those are two extremes. I'm sure there are many varieties in-between.

Many will replace under advisement of their LBS. They may find that in order to ensure they are getting good advice they would would like a simple tool that they can use at home and trust.

Some will like to simply know when to start putting some ZAR aside for a new chain. A simple tool will help

Others may be a lot more anaal about wear measurements. Good luck to them I say.

For most users, a simple tool that measures the right thing is more than enough. CC-2/CC3.2 and a host of similar knock offs do not do this. They're old tech, old flawed thinking that no longer applies to the modern bicycle drivetrain

@DieselnDust and @Showtime  Thanks for taking the time to post the reasons for CC-4 vs the CC-2/CC3.2.

I actually bought a CC3-2 over the weekend ... all good as I am still an 11-speed fan :P  Will use the CC-4 when working on friends 12-speed bikes .... actually a totally different tool to use when you are so used to "inside-to-inside" method.

What I did find interesting, was the number of truly crappy chain checkers out there at the moment ....

1 hour ago, Wyatt Earp said:

I’ve decided to take my workshop a little beyond the home workstand and YouTube centre.

DB7EDFA2-C159-4A57-9B0A-2FF45F4DE82F.jpeg

NICE !!!

I was drooling over those Park Tool chairs ..... eendag ,,,, :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

What I did find interesting, was the number of truly crappy chain checkers out there at the moment ....

What I find interesting is how the Hub had me spending my time researching a tool with zero relevance to me. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old keeping me busy, my chain will last longer than twitter.

41 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

NICE !!!

I was drooling over those Park Tool chairs ..... eendag ,,,, :thumbup:

They are great.

Can’t live without them, and pretty much most of the Park Took catalogue.

They do have incredible tools.

1 hour ago, Showtime said:

What I find interesting is how the Hub had me spending my time researching a tool with zero relevance to me. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old keeping me busy, my chain will last longer than twitter.

Glad you two saved me the time to search for the facts behind this confusion