Road tyre sealant

Nielv1

Hi fellow bikehubbers,

I’m completely new to road cycling.

Any recommendations for a road tyre tube sealant to use? Seeing so many brands in store but not sure which ones are worth anything.

some here swear by orange sealant (that I've never seen anywhere)

At the moment I have enduro seal in all my bikes, the only flat I had was due to no sealant left in my tyres, it seems to dry a bit quickly, but when it's not dry, it does the job.

Stans race sealant seems to be the most reliable of all the sealants I've tried so far.

I prefer Ryder sealant, been using it for years and did many a loooong race with it and never had a seal problem when getting a puncture.  Also easy to clean out with just water when cleaning and refilling wheels.

Edited by Cacey

I have been using Orange Seal since changing over to tubeless on the road just over a year ago. I have only had 1 puncture out at the cradle which was sealed immediately. 

As per the link above I purchased it from Lanoy Sports.

I've been using Bat Seal (Rush Sports are the distributors) purely because that is what my LBS has at the front desk.

TBH, I think all sealants are the same to a degree, so you can't really go wrong. Only way to go wrong is to not top it up every two to three months (at minimum).

12 hours ago, Tiny K said:

I've been using Bat Seal (Rush Sports are the distributors) purely because that is what my LBS has at the front desk.

TBH, I think all sealants are the same to a degree, so you can't really go wrong. Only way to go wrong is to not top it up every two to three months (at minimum).

I've been using Enduro seal. Currently only my front wheel is tubeless as I cannot afford to buy a new tyre for the rear, the current one has a slice in it that I cant get to stay sealed enough to keep it tubeless.

I have not topped up the front since April. Picked up a puncture a couple of days ago, whilst it took a while to seal it did seal and has been holding so far.

So whilst topping up every couple of months is recommended, its not always going to end in disaster.

• 4 weeks later...

So Orangeseal failed me today. ☹️

No obvious reason why.

Not a particularly big puncture, and adequate amount of sealant in the tyre.

Anyway, now to wash down a sealant covered biked. 🤦‍♂️

29 minutes ago, Thomo said:

No obvious reason why.

Sludge dries to a thin rubbery layer .... rolls of very easily.

Hope Orangseal does this as well.

Sealant is a mixture of active ingredient and solution.  Often the active ingredient only lasts a few months, and yet you hear the solution sloshing inside the tyre ....

Looking at all the flats and tube replacements at the event this morning was a reminder that road flats is still a very real issue.

35 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Sludge dries to a thin rubbery layer .... rolls of very easily.

Hope Orangseal does this as well.

Sealant is a mixture of active ingredient and solution.  Often the active ingredient only lasts a few months, and yet you hear the solution sloshing inside the tyre ....

Looking at all the flats and tube replacements at the event this morning was a reminder that road flats is still a very real issue.

So technically it's better to ride my mtb Tyre on the road 

On 12/28/2022 at 9:45 PM, Cacey said:

I prefer Ryder sealant, been using it for years and did many a loooong race with it and never had a seal problem when getting a puncher.  Also easy to clean out with just water when cleaning and refilling wheels.

I hate those punchers, always difficult to deflect when I’m in the zone.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist 😀

But concur, the Ryder stuff works well .

33 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

So technically it's better to ride my mtb Tyre on the road 

Sort off .... tar eats MTB tires ....

Gravel tires rolls nicely on tar, and works well with sealant.

And when you get boxed in by roadies you can hop onto the shoulder and pass them ... 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

What is the situation with stored sealant.?

Does it have a shelf life.?

10 minutes ago, Thomo said:

What is the situation with stored sealant.?

Does it have a shelf life.?

I wonder if this could've contributed... need to check if there are any dates on the the bottle. 

20230122_164635.jpg

Edited by Thomo

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Sort off .... tar eats MTB tires ....

Gravel tires rolls nicely on tar, and works well with sealant.

And when you get boxed in by roadies you can hop onto the shoulder and pass them ... 🤣🤣🤣

Yeh. They don't take kindly to being beat. By mtb. So gravel rolls on the hard stuff? I got a frame and stuff from Robert. Now I'm gonna make it a tar bike. Instead of buying a road bike. Was supposed to be something I was gonna make for neighbors kid. But I got 2 kids bikes for a steal

5 hours ago, Thomo said:

No obvious reason why.

Mr. Min works for enduroseal