Riding Tokai on a Gravel bike

wapad

12 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Greenbelts, ou wapad and silvermine loop, the up/down path on Constantia Nek and then probably some 'sneakies' that link tar sections like the Ruyteplaat byway and a few other little gravel or park bits that happen to be part of a larger tar/mixed terrain loop

Ja, greenbelts are great along with Ruyteplaats and the Constantia Nek path.
Table Mountain (Blockhouse) is gravelable since they took a grader up there.
There are lots of paths and 'sneaks' around the burbs (Noordhoek, Sun Valley, Fish Hoek, Muizenberg and Kirstenhof)
But Silvermine and Tokai are not awesome on a gravel bike at the moment. 
I haven't been along the Kirstenbosch loop for a while - that was pretty rough last I heard.

Someone on another thread about this said: Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should....

18 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Where are the suitable gravel bike routes in southern suburbs?

There are road rides that you can add a few really nice dirt bits to. But for actual gravel roads you need to go to the farmlands in the northern suburbs. The dirt along Rhodes drive, down to the Green Belt trails, through to Peddlers on the Bend then onto dirt all the way to Bootleggers in Tokai. You can actually ride on dirt all the way from the city bowl to Toaki but some of it is pretty chunky for a gravel bike. Doable for a challenge but it gets old if it's your regular ride.

1 hour ago, splat said:

Ja, greenbelts are great along with Ruyteplaats and the Constantia Nek path.
Table Mountain (Blockhouse) is gravelable since they took a grader up there.
There are lots of paths and 'sneaks' around the burbs (Noordhoek, Sun Valley, Fish Hoek, Muizenberg and Kirstenhof)
But Silvermine and Tokai are not awesome on a gravel bike at the moment. 
I haven't been along the Kirstenbosch loop for a while - that was pretty rough last I heard.

Someone on another thread about this said: Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should....

I agree. But ou wa pad and the road/loop around the dam is 'ok' 

I'd not ride Tokai, the roads are rubbish. Although the mast climb is always a good way to end a ride if you're training for Swartberg or Gallows

Some guys have broken down rocks and tried to put some illegal woodwork in the Cecilia area. So things are improving for gravel bikers. Ya know if your bike isn't up to it you can always bash the trail smooth...   

Will perhaps attempt the Gallows next year, 

Don’t have the bike yet, but will soon, 

Doing the Around The Pot 60 as my first gravel attempt 🙈

• 7 months later...
On 6/13/2023 at 7:30 PM, cadenceblur said:

Will perhaps attempt the Gallows next year, 

Don’t have the bike yet, but will soon, 

Doing the Around The Pot 60 as my first gravel attempt 🙈

I did the Gallows last year, the mast is perfect preperation.