Midvaal Fast One Cycle Challenge

Frosty

Does anybody know the distance of the race

entered for 97km

heard the revised route is 103km

received an e mail for 47.6 and 28km

Ractec cannot give a  contact no of a person to contact...

even after I explained that we will be travelling from Bloemfontein, and would like to know before we leave, as it will not be worth it to travel  for such short race...:wacko:

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Midvaal Fast One Cycle Challenge <noreply@racetec.co.za>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023, 09:13
Subject: REF: 169049 Midvaal Fast One Cycle Challenge Start Times Update
To: 

Dear 

Please note that the revised start times for the 47.6km and 28km routes.

Race Number: 

Start Time: 

Number Collection:

26 January 2023 Cycle Lab Fourways from 09h00 - 17h00
27 January 2023 Cycle Lab Fourways from 09h00 - 17h00
28 January 2023 Presidents Hyper, Vereeniging 09h00 - 13h00

All the best with the race this weekend.

The Midvaal Fast One Cycle Challenge Teame932c35a-751a-4a99-b3a8-e53485d040d9

Edited by Mongoose!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Mongoose! said:

Does anybody know the distance of the race entered for 97km

heard the revised route is 103km

received an e mail for 47.6 and 28km

Ractec cannot give a  contact no of a person to contact...

even after I explained that we will be travelling from Bloemfontein, and would like to know before we leave, as it will not be worth it to travel  for such short race...:wacko:

You're lucky in that you get an extra 7Km for the same price as the original entry.
This is the new route:
https://www.komoot.com/tour/1018285013

Try their FB page for more information, as they have posted photos too.
https://web.facebook.com/thefastone.org

326324292_567601361905080_26957783828006

Edited by Frosty

1 hour ago, GrumpyFork said:

2:34 ??

Hold my beer, I'll give it a bash

As a good friend once said, I ride like a chick… try to keep up. 😁

2:34 is easily doable in racing categories and AL and BL.

13 minutes ago, Frosty said:

As a good friend once said, I ride like a chick… try to keep up. 😁

2:34 is easily doable in racing categories and AL and BL.

back in the days of the OLLLLDDDD route (100km), Racetec shows my times for a few years being in the 2:50s, and that was most definitely not in the racing groups.

But, the bunches were a good 30-40 riders big and they would drop me at around the 60km mark. If I recall there was a bit of a climb that happened then and my fitness could not match the pace, so would solo the last 40km. We would average massive speeds whilst still in the bunches.

Oh to be young and brave again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 4:29 PM, The Ouzo said:

back in the days of the OLLLLDDDD route (100km), Racetec shows my times for a few years being in the 2:50s, and that was most definitely not in the racing groups.

But, the bunches were a good 30-40 riders big and they would drop me at around the 60km mark. If I recall there was a bit of a climb that happened then and my fitness could not match the pace, so would solo the last 40km. We would average massive speeds whilst still in the bunches.

Oh to be young and brave again.

Was this race the old Hyper to Hyper ? Was the fastest i ever rode a bike over 100 km's in 2:44 and i was nowhere near the level of the racing groups in the front in terms of fitness levels

This brings back memories of one of my first races. I think it was still called the hyper to hyper. Anyway, I got dropped and my mates and both my nephews all left me in the dust. Riding alone, I then punctured, but had no real idea how to change a tube (believe it or not after all these years i still suck at it). I did not know to check the inside of the tyre for glass. So, went through my 2 spare tubes, and then had to wait in the hot burning sun for the meat wagon to drop me at the finish.  the sting of that dnf scarred me for life.

Yeah the fast one.. hyper to hyper, back in the day …once we were done would ride back to Steeldale start with a few pro”s of that era. Nothing like 200km’s for a day in the saddle. Insane speeds riding the gutter, no chance to even take a drink man…😂😂😂 yeah boet.

12 hours ago, madmarc said:

Was this race the old Hyper to Hyper ? Was the fastest i ever rode a bike over 100 km's in 2:44 and i was nowhere near the level of the racing groups in the front in terms of fitness levels

thats the one. same experience for me. f'ing fast with a time that was very disproportionate to level of fitness.

12 hours ago, Harryn said:

This brings back memories of one of my first races. I think it was still called the hyper to hyper. Anyway, I got dropped and my mates and both my nephews all left me in the dust. Riding alone, I then punctured, but had no real idea how to change a tube (believe it or not after all these years i still suck at it). I did not know to check the inside of the tyre for glass. So, went through my 2 spare tubes, and then had to wait in the hot burning sun for the meat wagon to drop me at the finish.  the sting of that dnf scarred me for life.

it used to get HOTTT!!!!

One year we met the rest of the family at the PnP near the finish. Standing in the parking lot with cycling shoes on and the cleats were melting into the tar.

11 hours ago, betaboy said:

Yeah the fast one.. hyper to hyper, back in the day …once we were done would ride back to Steeldale start with a few pro”s of that era. Nothing like 200km’s for a day in the saddle. Insane speeds riding the gutter, no chance to even take a drink man…😂😂😂 yeah boet.

always marveled at the guys riding the 100km back to the start. There was no way we could ever do that with our levels of fitness.

• 10 months later...

Good afternoon people, does the 2024 Midvaal Fast One still counts for seeding for the Cape Argus race in March? 

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon good people!

Does anyone have a route file for this race?