148 to 142 hub

mrJohan

23 hours ago, mrJohan said:

Hi. Have someone tried cutting 3mm on both side of the end caps?

In need of a 142mm thru axle 32h mtb hub

I may have a 142mm thru axle 32h hub for you

This is why it work to fit a boost (148mm) wheel into a std (142mm) frame.  The distance between the rotor and the edge of the end-cap remain the same regardless if its boost or std, hence the rotor will still align 100% with the brake caliper position.

Just make 100% sure your frame is flexible enough so that minimal stress is caused due to "forcing it open" by 3mm a side (6mm in total), and as pointed out already, you will need a boost thru axle (longer).

Edit:  Not a good idea to try and do it on your fork however, its way to stiff to accommodate the flex of 10mm, the left pictures is only for illustration purpose.

image.png.edd2ca04d8d8eda2a2c03b97b08ae9fc.png

Edited by TheoG

3 minutes ago, TheoG said:

This is why it work to fit a boost (148mm) wheel into a std (142mm) frame.  The distance between the rotor and the edge of the end-cap remain the same regardless if its boost or std.

Just make 100% sure your frame is flexible enough so that minimal stress is caused due to "forcing it open" by 3mm a side (6mm in total), and as pointed out already, you will need a boost thru axle (longer).

image.png.edd2ca04d8d8eda2a2c03b97b08ae9fc.png

Yes, but Theo you are now moving the brake caliper 3mm outwards and the rotor stays in the same position relative to the hub. 

If you don't have 3mm play on the location holes of the calipers you'll be fooked

2 minutes ago, 117 said:

Yes, but Theo you are now moving the brake caliper 3mm outwards and the rotor stays in the same position relative to the hub. 

If you don't have 3mm play on the location holes of the calipers you'll be fooked

Because the caliper is on the frame it also move out by 3mm, hence it work, and the alignment stays the same.  The rotor also "effectively" move out by 3mm.

Only its position relative to the endcap stays the same, which is exactly what you want.

Edited by TheoG

On 2/7/2023 at 4:24 PM, DieselnDust said:

I may have a 142mm thru axle 32h hub for you

OP, take this man up on his offer rather than potentially buggering up a frame to make a plan.

Aside from that, axles aren't cheap.

24 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

The Rapide Tigre Frame can be used with Boost or Non Boost Hubs.

How is this done ?

The tigre frame is a steel frame. AFAIK the rear spacing is set to something like 145mm. From there you basically just cold set the chainstays to what you need.

That way you only need one frame size.

Steel is pretty great in that regard. It doesn't weaken from bending like aluminium. That is why they make coil springs from steel mostly (unless you are very rich and can afford titanium😋).

31 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

The Rapide Tigre Frame can be used with Boost or Non Boost Hubs.

How is this done ?

Lees en presteer

By designing the Tigre with a 145mm spaced rear end and developing the sliding dropouts with chamfers and tweaked thru axle threads each side of the frame can flex inward or outward 1.5mm to accommodate both hub standards with ease.”

9 hours ago, thebob said:

Lees en presteer

By designing the Tigre with a 145mm spaced rear end and developing the sliding dropouts with chamfers and tweaked thru axle threads each side of the frame can flex inward or outward 1.5mm to accommodate both hub standards with ease.”

And the rotor spacing stays spot on for both std & boost .... 🤪

And that is the case for any frame, provided that it allow enough flex without stressing it.

I am not convinced. I had a previous shape Scott Spark and I tried to install a 142 wheel in it one day by mistake. It was a disaster

rotor spacing will be a problem the Tigre allows for the owner to set it up once , not make the bike interchangable between hub axle spacing on a whim

20 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

rotor spacing will be a problem the Tigre allows for the owner to set it up once , not make the bike interchangable between hub axle spacing on a whim

I have a Rapidé Tigre and also both a 142 and 148 wheels and I can interchange them without even adjusting the caliper position, just saying ...  Even my gearing work without adjusting the derailleur, both is Shimano 12 speed.

Also have a Rocky Mountain Element 970 RSL (Carbon frame), and same thing, I can swap the 142 & 148 without adjusting anything.

Just maybe I'm lucky, but I don't think so.  If you look at the sizes in detail, it is supposed to work.

39 minutes ago, thebob said:

I am not convinced. I had a previous shape Scott Spark and I tried to install a 142 wheel in it one day by mistake. It was a disaster

Not sure why this was the case for you, maybe because it would be tricky to assemble since the gaps (3mm each side) needs to be closed and you would require more than 2 hands to do it.

27 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I have a Rapidé Tigre and also both a 142 and 148 wheels and I can interchange them without even adjusting the caliper position, just saying ...  Even my gearing work without adjusting the derailleur, both is Shimano 12 speed.

Also have a Rocky Mountain Element 970 RSL (Carbon frame), and same thing, I can swap the 142 & 148 without adjusting anything.

Just maybe I'm lucky, but I don't think so.  If you look at the sizes in detail, it is supposed to work.

I'm surprised, 3mm difference in displacement is a lot but I guess since the entire drop out is moving over it shouldn't matter