[Event] Tour du Cap Road Stage Race

Mamil

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

Thanks man, really hoping Babse is ok, no news since I saw him on the side of the road when I rode off after the crash 😭

Imagine being a self sponsored dad of two that had to pay 4k to enter this dream race, make a lot of time from life to train for this very specific event (not a lot of events with 3 20mins climbs at the end), get the results, get hyped.... all of this to turn to pieces because after 30km in the 1st stage some dumb **** wanabee "pro cyclist" can't even ride properly in a bunch and tries to slot in on his teammates front wheel.

I'm gutted for myself but more importantly I hope Babse can join us for the rest of the stages...

Oh jeez sorry to hear about this. How far into the route did it happen.

Open group didn't have any crashes but some of the younger riders like to ride with their front wheel adjacent the rear mech of the guy in front. I moved away from one in particular.

@Jbrand @babsehope bodies and bikes are all in one piece.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No worse sound than that grinding of rubber as folks go broadside followed by carbon smashing into tar...

I was dodging to the right before folks started going down on the right also. Someone smashed into my back wheel with such force it displaced my wheel and the bike bucked a bit to correct. Straight back onto the power as we were still in a crosswind and racing was still on. Not easy racing with youngsters that are still gaining experience, and ambition that sometimes exceeds abilities...

17 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Thanks man, really hoping Babse is ok, no news since I saw him on the side of the road when I rode off after the crash 😭

Imagine being a self sponsored dad of two that had to pay 4k to enter this dream race, make a lot of time from life to train for this very specific event (not a lot of events with 3 20mins climbs at the end), get the results, get hyped.... all of this to turn to pieces because after 30km in the 1st stage some dumb **** wanabee "pro cyclist" can't even ride properly in a bunch and tries to slot in on his teammates front wheel.

I'm gutted for myself but more importantly I hope Babse can join us for the rest of the stages...

Update: I hear some okes are at hospital... I saw bruizes but hoped it wasn't too bad, looks like I got lucky, sorry for them 😕

looks like nothing broken, he thought he's elbow/arm broken... but doc came in 5 minutes after we spoke to him... saying nothing broken...

doubt he'll be able to continue more so be on the bike for a couple of weeks, buts lets see...

On 2/24/2023 at 11:46 AM, milky4130 said:

Shoo, barring any incidents I is see it's going to be the Barnabas Purbrook Show again in the 30-39 Category. That Pom single handedly destroyed the SV's a couple of years ago at TOGH.

I see he is looking leaner and meaner than before. Was this the case again today?

15 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

I see he is looking leaner and meaner than before. Was this the case again today?

He was looking like he really wanted to break away 😅

Just now, Jbr said:

Lol I saw on Insta he says he couldn't hold on any longer up the last climb with the big boys, thinks he came 2nd in 30-39 Cat

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

I was looking on at his multiple attempts thinking he's either very strong or very dumb...
Nice bloke. Chatted on the way down Bain's.

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

I was looking on at his multiple attempts thinking he's either very strong or very dumb...
Nice bloke. Chatted on the way down Bain's.

I think he has finally met his match in the WilcoNator. Don’t let him break away if he does go with him. I see he brought a team mate with this time around so tactics might play out there. Still early days.

53 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

I think he has finally met his match in the WilcoNator. Don’t let him break away if he does go with him. I see he brought a team mate with this time around so tactics might play out there. Still early days.

We're with the elites, if he goes with one guy of one team there's no point going with. But when bridges attempts go, we must be quick to respond ;)

You know you're a mamil when.....

..... there's a segment called Bains first 9 mins and your PB is 14:39 

I would just like to point out to the 2 savages who lurked at the back of the open group at about km 75 and then took a flying charge up the group to launch the attack that finally dropped me .... I saw your plan ... I was onto you... I sent the command to the engine room and got the "I'm sorry cap'n but we have to eject the warp core" 

22 minutes ago, Mamil said:

You know you're a mamil when.....

..... there's a segment called Bains first 9 mins and your PB is 14:39 

* Filters by "Today"
* Sees the leader board is unchanged...
* Sigh of relief to see I managed sub-9

I did however loose a minute here to the eventual stage winner. 😓

So the 18 year old lightie who dropped me like a used hankerchef on Bains yesterday put 6 minutes into me on the time trial today. That's about 1 minute for every 6 kilograms or a minute for every 6 years depending on one's preferred handicap metric.

The tour du cap is quite humbling really. I'm currently on the 33rd percentile for my age group. 

Jussie there's some hardcore mamils out there Bru.

16 minutes ago, Mamil said:

The tour du cap is quite humbling really.

Kent Main and Brandon Downes going sub 20min today is mind blowing!