[Event] Tour du Cap Road Stage Race

Mamil

On 2/15/2023 at 3:21 PM, Jbr said:

we're talking 3x20 to 25 mins climbs here ;)

Two weeks left to secure that repeatable 4,85w/kg 20mins effort 💪

Let's gooooo !

so hows this training going for you?😝

really looking forward to this event...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, babse said:

so hows this training going for you?😝

really looking forward to this event...

Ran out of hill to confirm 😁  Let's find out next week !

On 2/15/2023 at 3:39 PM, Mamil said:

I'm hoping this event gathers momentum over the next few years.

Sadly my perception is that the exact opposite has been happening the past few years. But this event/timeslot has so much potential so you never know...

21 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Sadly my perception is that the exact opposite has been happening the past few years. But this event/timeslot has so much potential so you never know...

Why though? Marketing or the perception this is a "racing only event" 🤷‍♂️

I know previosuly it was a timing issue, but the event is since timed with Racetec.

9 minutes ago, babse said:

I know previosuly it was a timing issue, but the event is since timed with Racetec.

From an outsider point of view, it is both and probably more.

I only know it exists from the bikehub thread. I also get the perception that it is only worth doing if you're a racing snake. 

I am also scared of the event as the website is pretty vague and concentrates on the prizes for the racing categories, not that the route will be fun, how the non competitive riders will be looked after or how it will work for those not at the sharp end.

As someone who has ridden bikes for a pretty long time, I always thought it was pretty much for elites and pseudo pros.

If they want to get their numbers up they need to reach a wider audience. The racers will be there. They won't suddenly attract 'more racers' as I don't think too many of them actually exist. They need to attract a bigger field and that means engaging in normal people, like me. 

19 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

From an outsider point of view, it is both and probably more.

I only know it exists from the bikehub thread. I also get the perception that it is only worth doing if you're a racing snake. 

I am also scared of the event as the website is pretty vague and concentrates on the prizes for the racing categories, not that the route will be fun, how the non competitive riders will be looked after or how it will work for those not at the sharp end.

As someone who has ridden bikes for a pretty long time, I always thought it was pretty much for elites and pseudo pros.

If they want to get their numbers up they need to reach a wider audience. The racers will be there. They won't suddenly attract 'more racers' as I don't think too many of them actually exist. They need to attract a bigger field and that means engaging in normal people, like me. 

I reject the notion that I am a racer. I have the aero socks to prove it.

I think you've hit the nail on the head though. The open seeded category definitely does feel like an afterthought.

Edit. Sorry it's the notion I am not a racer I'm rejecting. I raced another mamil in a pink shirt up chappies at the tail end of my 140km supposed to be in zone 2 ride on Sunday ... And if he tells me he wasn't racing I won't believe him. I may have a dadbod chassis and a clapped out Nissan 1400 engine but my heart is all thoroughbred.

Edited by Mamil

10 minutes ago, babse said:

My 2c worth .... as a MTB'er that has only done one CTCT.

21 January a friend asks if I am joining them for the "Winelands RACE" .... a lengthy discussion ensued about the "RACE" .....  Imagine my utter surprise on Sunday morning when the "lead groups" RACED, and the vast majority of the field was there for a nice Sunday ride.

Two weeks later I did the 99er, and saw the same play out.  RACING  (and some roid rage) in the front groups.  More importantly, the vast majority were social riders, including some that try to move up a start group or two for the CTCT.

The financial reality is that by marketing these as "fun rides", you get the masses to make the event financially viable.  AND, the racers get to play in the front.  Win-win :thumbup:

1 hour ago, babse said:

Economics probably the biggest part - early years the event attracted a number of corporates, there was a decent social/corporate team competition going (similar vibe to DC) but over time this declined and disappeared.

Related to that the loss of a big headline sponsor meant the offering to riders was downscaled, intially lunch and drinks were included every day, venue used to be a snazzy wine farm & other bells & whistles that disappeared. 

Routes (this year is a bit of a step up again) but in the past riders did Franschoek, Du Toits 2x and Bains (2x = different side, different day), this eventually morphed into the boring round-Paardeberg funride routes for most days.

And then finally there are regularly the "little" things that go wrong (like the timing on the 1st event), every year its a case of almost getting it right but not quite

Edited by Skubarra

2 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

And then finally there are regularly the "little" things that go wrong (like the timing on the 1st event), every year its a case of almost getting it right but not quite

anything went wrong last year ? I thought except for riding the same routes every day it was pretty well organised. If I had one thing to complain about it was the fact that we had to wear both numbers on at all times (including the TT), not folded, not cut, no big deal...

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

anything went wrong last year ? I thought except for riding the same routes every day it was pretty well organised. If I had one thing to complain about it was the fact that we had to wear both numbers on at all times (including the TT), not folded, not cut, no big deal...

True - last year they didn't have the usual issues that popped up in previous versions.

last year was first... 

-route was pretty average compared to previous editions bar day3 (hundred miler route),

-timing was on point,

-race pack apparel is low-mid quality (much prefer option to enter without getting it),

-def felt like an elite'ist race and open cat was a after thought,

-overall the event ran quite smoothly without much issues!?

-still feel R1000/day is steep without much bells and whistles

.....but here I am, entered again looking forward to the much more desired route 😝

9 minutes ago, babse said:

last year was first... 

-route was pretty average compared to previous editions bar day3 (hundred miler route),

-timing was on point,

-race pack apparel is low-mid quality (much prefer option to enter without getting it),

-def felt like an elite'ist race and open cat was a after thought,

-overall the event ran quite smoothly without much issues!?

-still feel R1000/day is steep without much bells and whistles

.....but here I am, entered again looking forward to the much more desired route 😝

Imagine doing a DC-like event over 5 days, its the whole team format that hooked me. Riding with a team on tough, long routes over 4 days + a team time trial. Early events were some of the best experiences I have ever had on a road bike. Tons of warstories, team plans that went haywire on mountain passes & suffering to get the 4th rider over the line in a good time. Then nice lunches with free beers afterwards to finish off.

The format really had a lot going for it, I'm very disappointed it couldn't quite catch on. If they can turn things around I'll be back but the current scaled down format just not that appealing to me.

6 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Imagine doing a DC-like event over 5 days, its the whole team format that hooked me. Riding with a team on tough, long routes over 4 days + a team time trial.

And how many riders in SA can do more than 1 (maybe 2) long days long routes?
Which brings you down again on entry quantities and economics, sadly.

I did the TdC back in 2020 the week before the gogga closed everything down. 
Loved the event.
And the momories of that one race kept me going for the remainder of the "closed for racing" year that followed.

Not many entries though........and riding 100km every day is daunting for most of the "avg" riders out there.

You can go two ways about it:  Go full-on Elite like the old days of Giro del Capo.  For that you need sponsors.  One batch.  Rolling road closure.  Bring pros to SA to do road races. 

The other way is to try and attract more entries ie. the "fun rider bunch" to finance the operation.

To take ideas read above:

• Skip the useless goody bag.  MAYBE an even shirt- people love clothing and it is something to keep the memory lingering.  But even that is not a must have
  • Five bunches.  1x Elites men.  1x Ladies.  3x Seeded.   (No age cat crap.  That way you earn your start batch like the MTBers do).  Gives you 15 motorbikes with rolling road closures for the 5 bunches
  • Don't do stupid distances.  Want to get more entries?  Keep it around 80-100km
  • Keep it less that R500 a day.  That is what you pay for Panorama tour.  And a typical Gauteng one day race.  

My 2c

Edited by Spinnekop

15 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

And how many riders in SA can do more than 1 (maybe 2) long days long routes?
Which brings you down again on entry quantities and economics, sadly.

Early years were the time of "cycling is the new golf", we bitched about it on the hub but corporates bought team entries and sent clients/staff to ride together for a week. Afternoons after doing 130km of racing in 40 degrees heat lowly me had to get back to the office to get some work done while the bigwigs had massages, wine tours and early restaurant dinners 😄. But I didn't mind, any day on the bike is better than a day the in the office.

But you are right, unlikely that we will see those days again...