Tacx Flow Smart trainer

petriolivier

I've been using a Tacx Vortex trainer for a number of years, recently as I completed a ride I heard a electrical short sound and no power after that. Garmin replaced the unit and the exact same thing happened, replaced again and again today the same thing happened. To be extra sure I used a surge protection plug, even though I have an inverter with surge protection. Any others out there with a similar problem/experience? I've been trainer-less for the past month and have to do another trip to Garmin with yet another burned trainer. 

11 minutes ago, petriolivier said:

I've been using a Tacx Vortex trainer for a number of years, recently as I completed a ride I heard a electrical short sound and no power after that. Garmin replaced the unit and the exact same thing happened, replaced again and again today the same thing happened. To be extra sure I used a surge protection plug, even though I have an inverter with surge protection. Any others out there with a similar problem/experience? I've been trainer-less for the past month and have to do another trip to Garmin with yet another burned trainer. 

What happens exactly. Surge plugs don't mean much if your inverter or loadshedding on/off is happening. 

Today I finished my ride and as I stopped pedalling I heard the short sound on the trainer and now its dead. It was not during loadshedding and I haven’t noticed any power surges or damage to any other devices. Strange that it has happened 3 times in a month and wondering if its just me or if there is another issue with the tacx trainers. 

9 hours ago, petriolivier said:

Today I finished my ride and as I stopped pedalling I heard the short sound on the trainer and now its dead. It was not during loadshedding and I haven’t noticed any power surges or damage to any other devices. Strange that it has happened 3 times in a month and wondering if its just me or if there is another issue with the tacx trainers. 

I do not believe that it is Tacx, my money is on the surges from the grid. I am surprised that Garmin replaced the units 

My suggestion, and not sure if this will help you going forward, is to switch off your Mains electricity switch before the electricity comes back on. Switch it on again after a minute or two once the electricity supply is stable (no surges etc).

Failing that, unplug all your important  electrical devices (from mains supply) until you want to use them. After use, unplug them again. 

22 hours ago, petriolivier said:

Same plug in your house? Start there. 

• 3 months later...

Hi all, 

I need some advice - my wife's Tacx Flow Smart doesn't transmit any data. The apps picks up the trainer, but once you start pedalling, nothing happens. I've done a firmware update to no avail. Light flashes blue like it should.

Is there a fix or does this seem like a warranty case? (I bought second hand so might be a hassle)

T.I.A.

1 hour ago, jannosmit said:

Hi all, 

I need some advice - my wife's Tacx Flow Smart doesn't transmit any data. The apps picks up the trainer, but once you start pedalling, nothing happens. I've done a firmware update to no avail. Light flashes blue like it should.

Is there a fix or does this seem like a warranty case? (I bought second hand so might be a hassle)

T.I.A.

I had a similar issue. Turned out to be a Bluetooth issue with my laptop. I purchased an ANT+ Dongle and the issue was resolved.