New Road bike advice

Rock Guy

Any advice on buying a new road bike between 50 and 60k in size 58? 

I honestly don't even know where to start. Been to quite a few bike shops now and looked at options. Just missed a Scott Addict 20 with Shimano 105 di2, which would have been perfect. Seems stock is still a pretty big issue in the road bike scene.

If you know of a good deal please DM me.

9 hours ago, Rock Guy said:

Any advice on buying a new road bike between 50 and 60k in size 58? 

I honestly don't even know where to start. Been to quite a few bike shops now and looked at options. Just missed a Scott Addict 20 with Shimano 105 di2, which would have been perfect. Seems stock is still a pretty big issue in the road bike scene.

If you know of a good deal please DM me.

Cycle lab has a decent special on the Titan bike with carbon wheels and SRAM force group-set for R42 000, 

3 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Cycle lab has a decent special on the Titan bike with carbon wheels and SRAM force group-set for R42 000, 

I've looked at the Titan, but my preconception of Titan having historically been a value brand, focused on the lower end of the market, causes me to worry about manufacturing quality. The fact that this bike (the Valerian Carbon Elite) is incredibly good value, makes me even more suspicious. I don't know of any other SRAM Rival specced bike with carbon wheels anywhere close to this price point. As the saying goes, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is".

Are Titan just being very aggressive in pricing to win market share? Are they making compromises to come in at a lower cost point? Do they have to drop the price to account for the fact that you may have buy coffee for all your buddies on rides because you're not riding a "Roady approved" brand?

If you want high end for 50-60k don’t look at buying new mate

Last year I scored a Reacto 7000-E for 50k on the hub, honestly I couldn’t have said if it had been ridden or not when it was delivered. Had Ultegra Di2 an decent training wheels. Then I upgraded it over time with power meter, wheels, fancy bars to make it a mean machine that would have cost me more than double to buy new, not to mention the new models still haven’t hit the market yet 🤣.

Check Bikeaddict or cwc if you are in the area, look for anything Di2 (you might find some sweet deals with 11spd Di2). Will be tough in that price range to find Di2 + Carbon wheels though, except for Titan.

We see a few Titans in elite races, probably sponsored riders but they don’t look *** and they go well, I wouldn’t rule them out if you want to buy new and have all the bits and pieces.

Edited by Jbr

23 minutes ago, Rock Guy said:

I've looked at the Titan, but my preconception of Titan having historically been a value brand, focused on the lower end of the market, causes me to worry about manufacturing quality. The fact that this bike (the Valerian Carbon Elite) is incredibly good value, makes me even more suspicious. I don't know of any other SRAM Rival specced bike with carbon wheels anywhere close to this price point. As the saying goes, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is".

Are Titan just being very aggressive in pricing to win market share? Are they making compromises to come in at a lower cost point? Do they have to drop the price to account for the fact that you may have buy coffee for all your buddies on rides because you're not riding a "Roady approved" brand?

The normal price on that bike is around R52k but solomons cycles have specials on Merida Bikes at killer prices.

7 hours ago, Rock Guy said:

Don't fall into that trap that because it's more expensive, it has to be better quality (or because it is cheap the quality is bad). 

Nothing wrong with Titan as a brand or their quality. The fact that their warranty is one of the best in the business is testamony to the faith that they have in their product. 

Merida and Giant are also good options to consider. 

1 hour ago, Rock Guy said:

So…this happenedAA667CCF-4468-4124-A3B6-142143BDF578.jpeg.36807707e66037aa98c9d4b99fa0ba7c.jpeg

As far as my wife is concerned, this bike was exactly 50k. Took her for ride this morning, just beautiful.

Very Good Choice

2 hours ago, Rock Guy said:

So…this happenedAA667CCF-4468-4124-A3B6-142143BDF578.jpeg.36807707e66037aa98c9d4b99fa0ba7c.jpeg

As far as my wife is concerned, this bike was exactly 50k. Took her for ride this morning, just beautiful.

Massive value, I see the new slr 7 for less than 150k too which considering the local prices of the competition is “””affordable”””… kudos to trek

Shoh thats nice!! Im also in your "original" budget group and seriously considering an Orbea Orca. They look great and seem like good value for money. Other options are the Specialized sl6 with 105, Trek SL5 (heavy?) And Scott Addict with maybe the 105 di2..outside chance of a Giant Tcr/defy. Something more endurance will probably suit my body better, but in a ideal world I would like the racier options! Haha!  But Im not too concerned about the electronic groupsets. Im sure they are flippin nice, but will cost more to maintain and to replace when the time comes. 

Another thing I like about the Orbea is the higher stack. But damn The Emondas are good looking bikes!

Hope you enjoy that beaut!