The Work Commute - ebike suggestions?

vir0za

I agree with Chris on many points; 250W for your trip would be plenty.

in the race to ‘bigger is better’ (not), MANY e-bike manufacturers now offer bigger (more powerful) motors, 500w and 750w are fairly commonplace…

by way of example, I bought a 2nd hand, 500w Chilled Squirrel six YEARS back, since owner of said unit heard that 750w had been launched, and he HAD to have the latest unit - my (discounted) win!

6 years back, I was unaware of any max power ‘rules’, and I do not FEEL I ride an illegal bike, since I don’t ride it like a tool! :)

Mid-drive better than hub drive for MOST applications; in YOUR case, 9km, flattish (?), hub drive could work, and save you moolah.

Chilled Squirrel get the ODD 2nd hand unit, and that can save money, if, like me, you fit it on an EXISTING MTB, if you have one?

Whilst my bike does not have a ‘throttle’, it does have a thumb-assist, which is UP TO 10-seconds of boost - I live up a mountain with an 18+ degrees ‘kicker’ in it, boost helps!

With 9 power settings (11% increments), I mostly ride, and commute in the lower 4 settings. But I dig the workout, I knock 18 minutes off my Hout Bay to Paarden Eiland commute time, but then need to shower! But just 9km, using a high setting? You should not break a sweat, whereas I have Suikerbossie on way in, and 12 Apostles pull on the way home, + a long, STEEP road up to my place.

So, hub drive (cheaper) could work for you, and I do think some off-the-shelf eBike as mentioned n earlier posts would work well for you, if you have no existing bike to convert.

Cheers

Chris

D749431A-FAC2-4F30-9476-F19BD7DF59A2.jpeg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, vir0za said:

Can you direct me to something that says throttle assists that are limited to 22km or whatever it may be are illegal in SA?  First I hear of that.  And I have been asking.  Even asked chilled squirrel and they said it is legal.

Look at Rayvolt . They have a special now . Am friends with the owner . Talk to me if something there interests you 

Arno zero833959zero83

18 hours ago, Theunissa said:

So most e bikes are illegal. Because they go from 350-750W

most are also mountain bikes and not on the road so they are 'legal'

18 hours ago, vir0za said:

This seems to be the case. Been quite eye opening. I’m despondent now. But thanks for all the info. 

I would not be despondent. 

1: how many police officers are going to know or be able to differentiate an e-bike from a normal bicycle. 

2: Even if they can spot it, how many of them know the 250w law and know how to prove it is over 250w.

3: How often have you been pulled over on a bicycle by the police.

My 2c is that our police have far bigger money makers to chase. If you are riding within the laws like a civilized human on the road they are not going to care at all if you have a 250 or 750w bike. If you are doing 60kmh in a 40 zone you may get in trouble but some sensibility should prevail here.

I'm also a heavy sweater. My work commute used to be 16km with fair climb in it. 

The last 5km though were flat and downhill so I would ride slow through there and cool down as much as possible before getting to work.

also no showers at work, but I'd get there earlier than most people and use the disabled bathroom (as its always bigger) and do a wash down with a cloth and basin.

1 minute ago, The Ouzo said:

I'm also a heavy sweater. My work commute used to be 16km with fair climb in it. 

The last 5km though were flat and downhill so I would ride slow through there and cool down as much as possible before getting to work.

also no showers at work, but I'd get there earlier than most people and use the disabled bathroom (as its always bigger) and do a wash down with a cloth and basin.

what bike you use?

I did a home conversion with motor I purchased from eBike Cafe in Johannesburg for FAR less than some of the figures quoted here.  Have not had a moments problem and do about 2000kms/month with panniers and sometimes without.

It is not worth replacing the battery in my car with all the fun I have on my bike, rain or shine 

1 hour ago, Sepia said:

It is not worth replacing the battery in my car with all the fun ...

Midas has some cheap trickle chargers for car batteries... 😛

On 3/15/2023 at 2:14 PM, vir0za said:

Hi all,

I live in cape town's southern suburbs.  I live approximately 7 to 9 km from work.

I sold my car when we went remote, but recently we have been asked to go back to the office 3 times a week. 

I don't want to buy a car again, so I was thinking of getting an ebike.

My two options are:

1) Upgrade my current bicycle, but that costs 28k (250w) to 31k (500w).  It just does not seem worth it

2) Buy something like this: https://pedego.co.za/products/smart-e-maestro-ii

I am also open to suggestions in that 40k budget range.  I really want a bike with both a throttle and pedal assist though. 

Any thoughts?  

Thanks.

if you are leaning mostly to the throttle side, then you would be best off with a scooter (but then you need a licence).

some of these cheap e-bikes are exactly that, cheap. they will not last daily use. The titan might bust this theory of mine though.

If you want a bike that you can actually treat as a bike to ride recreationally as well, then the Darkhorse is a good option - take them up on the offer to test.

Honestly. Id only consider an ebike for commuting if I was staying more than 30km from work, Even then I'd probably see it as free training hours.

I commute 15kmx2 daily. Usually don't arrive too sweaty at work. The last bit of the route I put in minimal effort and use it as a cool down period.

If it is hot and humid and I arrive drenched, I just use a basin-wetcloth-bodywash-wetcloth-drytowel-roll-on technique. Fresher than before the ride. Takes 5-10min.

Sub 10km commutes are almost always faster than traffic anyways. Make sure your bike is tubeless and insured. Carry lekker pepper spray on your shoulder strap.

If it rains a little, get fenders and a jacket/backpack cover. Otherwise catch a lift/uber.

32 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

if you are leaning mostly to the throttle side, then you would be best off with a scooter (but then you need a licence).

some of these cheap e-bikes are exactly that, cheap. they will not last daily use. The titan might bust this theory of mine though.

If you want a bike that you can actually treat as a bike to ride recreationally as well, then the Darkhorse is a good option - take them up on the offer to test.

Hopefully, the titan will prove you wrong.  I mean, it does come with a 5-year warranty.

3 hours ago, vir0za said:

I am thinking of keeping it simple and cheaper and getting this: https://titanracingbikes.com/bikes/charge-e-two/

Thoughts?

I reckon this is a good call. I have been very happy with my Titan since last winter.

The battery on this one is smaller than my eTransporter Amsterdam (2600MAH vs 3200MAH), but I reckon the suspension fork will be a win. I would go for a Copenhagen if I could have a do over. The pedal assist hub drive can be "feathered" to give constant boost with almost zero effort if you get your gear ratios just right vs gradient. Maintaining 90 cadence puts the motor in the sweet spot.

The commute is a lot of fun, takes me 22 minutes.  I arrive a little sweaty, but nothing a quick dry down and roll-on with a top change wont fix.