Really, No Epic 2023 Thread?

BMCfan

5 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Was thinking the same thing when I saw that.

Bottom bracket bearing not to be left behind either. I had to replace my son's BB after just one race here in Somerset West in mud. The BB completely seized up. I could not even turn the pedals. And no, we do not have a pressure washer. Some of the mud here is so fine it goes in everywhere.

Edited by dev null

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Hoping that Andri has a better day tomorrow - he owes us one. 

Gerald announced Nino's team mate as "Tomas" Frischknicht....that might be part of the problem ...I hope Andri shows up tomorrow 

He will I have full faith. Whatever he has left must be left on the trails. image.gif.c3636fa86a795f7f927c8379d5462c6b.gif

32 minutes ago, love2fly said:

I'm not sure it was wire into SCR's RD. I think he lost a pulley?

Chris Blevins said he was behind Lukas when his derailleur pully hit the ground ..

I heard, eish 

29 minutes ago, mrcg said:

Oh dear .....wheels are coming off for Candice and Amy. 35min down

No more updates please 💔

28 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Yeah I get that. It happens and then there are just those moments when sh@t happens. An upper jockey pulley wheel get ripped out by a wire wrapped in the cassette has little to do with riding style. Bash a rock? Probably going too hard for the conditions 

puncture? Well that could be poor line choice or just not seeing the one stone amongst many that is lying in the wrong orientation .

pinch flat , that’s a poor technical decision on tyre pressure for conditions.

this Mtb game is about risk and reward all the time, but always we are a step away from disaster 

Pastor where is your church? Preach! 
image.gif.701c427e86d8fb4abbe8e4582017b225.gif

23 minutes ago, Nick said:

I've missed a turn, gone into the grass and wrapped a discarded fence wire around my cassette. My fault for not staying on the course. It can happen (to me) 🤦‍♂️ But yeah, in most other cases those pesky sticks that love to jam things up are not my fault.

Normally this happens to Shimano drivetrains. 

SRAM forever!! 

There, I said it first. 
image.gif.b30dd527d8eb56a27f94b902304d7b76.gif

51 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Hoping that Andri has a better day tomorrow - he owes us one. 

Gerald announced Nino's team mate as "Tomas" Frischknicht....that might be part of the problem ...I hope Andri shows up tomorrow 

Well at least Thomas is in the race…. Masters category and 82 overall as of stage 5

26 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

The technical parts will be a mess by the time the back markers ride them, chain suck and lots of walking…. Wonder if they will extend the cut off time?

The route was shortened 

it’s already tamed, let’s not make it pu$$ie level

Edited by DieselnDust

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

The route was shortened 

How much did they trim off ?
Was it just at the end, or did they take out a loop somewhere ?

5 minutes ago, splat said:

How much did they trim off ?
Was it just at the end, or did they take out a loop somewhere ?

They removed some of the technical loops on the higher reaches of the mountains which had the potential to produce serious injuries to mostly the lower end of the field.

11 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Then it's not the untamed Africa 😀. Thought it was the Tour de France of MTB. Supposed to be tough. Oops.

There is a difference between tough and unnecessarily dangerous. Have you ever ridden a descending Single Track at the end of the field in such conditions? I did and I can tell you they are not rideable for the majority of riders. The mud is too soft and deep by the time you get there that any time you just think of touching the brakes your wheels lock up and you slide uncontrollably.

Edited by dev null

I completely missed todays stage, can someone please post what happened to the Germans and Amy & Candice to loose so much time? 

2 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I completely missed todays stage, can someone please post what happened to the Germans and Amy & Candice to loose so much time? 

Scroll up the forum you’ll see! Here’s a good summary: C4781802-98DE-4180-A89F-24D54BA1E429.jpeg.585f96d8ed4be2ed5a29d0844145bb41.jpeg

4 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Germans: Broken rear derailleur. Had to replace derailleur at nearest tech zone.

Amy & Candice: Amy damaged her rear wheel rim on a rock and even fitting a tube did not solve the problem. Amy had to ride on basically her rear rim to the nearest tech zone which was not that close.

Edited by dev null

7 minutes ago, dev null said:

There is a difference between tough and unnecessarily dangerous. Have you ever ridden a descending Single Track at the end of the field in such conditions? I did and I can tell you they are not rideable for the majority of riders. The mud is too soft and deep by the time you get there that any time you just think of touching the brakes your wheels lock up and you slide uncontrollably.

And maybe access for medical rescue at the higher section would have been to difficult.

11 minutes ago, dev null said:

A few years ago I rode a (shortened) day 2 in W2W in some rain. Including a sliding face plant over the edge of a berm when I lost the front, it's the most fun I've ever had on a bike ...guys were submerging their bikes in one of the Oak Valley dams to try to clear the mud. Was such a blast!

So sad !!!  So basically if the same doesnt happen to the other teams tom, its more or less game over for both of those teams 🙁.

Hopefully we see a moerse fight between the Scott & Specialized teams 🤗

Edited by TheoG

3 minutes ago, dev null said:

Germans: Broken rear derailleur. Had to replace derailleur at nearest tech zone.

Amy & Candice: Amy damaged her rear wheel rim on a rock and even fitting a tube did not solve the problem. Amy had to ride on basically her rear rim to the nearest tech zone which was not that close.

Watching the live stream Gerald said they put in a tube, when they showed it again I saw a tire liner but could not see a tube anywhere, wonder if they had one? 

The Iive coverage is fantastic imo, must be quite difficult from a tech and logistics point of view