Really, No Epic 2023 Thread?

BMCfan

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

My 2 cents about the conditions yesterday is that yes, it was tough, yes it was probably above the skillset of many back markers but to extend the time is an unwarranted mercy in my books. The event is advertised as being tough and untamed, so anyone who enters should reasonably expect that they could be beaten by the conditions on the day. Yesterday was super wet, but then what if it was super hot, yet rideable?

Or is it only considered tough if the fattest and slowest back markers (like me if I'd care to participate) also make it through a stage?

This is a mountain bike race. Deal with it.

Well Robbie, when I did it in 2017, it was super hot. Stage 1 (Hermanus) was well over 40°C and people suffered badly. Cut off was extended (don't recall how much). Stage 2 woke up to the same heat and the decision was taken to stop the race after 70km (if I remember correctly). So essentially shaving off +-30km, which translates to about 2h ride time on average. So, essentially the same as a cut-off time extension.

Edited by mrcg
Spelling

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, wolver said:

Anyone know exactly what tools & spares the front pro's carry on them for emergencies between tech zones?

Would have thought a handful of cable ties would be essential? In the case of catastrophic tyre/rim issue, you cable tie the tyre to the rim with 5-10 evenly spaced cable ties to get you to the tech zone rather than riding a bare rim. Seen this on the Dakar and got me thinking.

They just have some extra courage in there. 

Wishing all riders a great last day of riding!

Feel for Andri (and Nino), but the best team wins. Also holding thumbs for Spez team (go Matt!) and a little for SCR. Gonna be exciting racing!

Same for the ladies. Yellow jersey is essentially down up, but hope they race lekker too

7 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Lol, the live feed has all the answers. 

Save a crash or a mechanical, Spez. 

Trying to follow our friends, further down the field ....

7 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Trying to follow our friends, further down the field ....

1:58 to the good. Commntators are trying in both races but I've done this for a while. 

Spez. 

Wonder if Nino and them will make up enough time on the last 25k…. A lot less climbing might suite them

1 minute ago, SwissVan said:

Wonder if Nino and them will make up enough time on the last 25k…. A lot less climbing might suite them

By then theill be 5min down. nope 

Yeah didn't think Andri would survive but kudos... He gave it a great show!

Spez and speed company were always going up the road early. I'm sure they'll still be fireworks still but spez with their tales up look like worthy champs. It's really been an epic comeback since losing 8mins on Monday 😯

4 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Nope. Probably bleed a few more mins 

1 minute ago, babse said:

Yeah didn't think Andri would survive but kudos... He gave it a great show!

Spez and speed company were always going up the road early. I'm sure they'll still be fireworks still but spez with their tales up look like worthy champs. It's really been an epic comeback since losing 8mins on Monday 😯

I actually thought he did. 

Nino just crashed. 

13 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

1:58 to the good. Commntators are trying in both races but I've done this for a while. 

Spez. 

Enjoying the live feed.

But missing the dot watching .... only way to track our friends in the grand masters ....

I am surprised that the commentator could not identify the buck which could either be a Duiker or Steenbokkie.

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

Enjoying the live feed.

But missing the dot watching .... only way to track our friends in the grand masters ....

Actually, gap constant at 2:00. Maybe not as over as I thought? 

3 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Actually, gap constant at 2:00. Maybe not as over as I thought? 

Going to be a close finish ....

Matt needs to GO ....

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

Going to be a close finish ....

Matt needs to GO ....

Andrei seems ok though? No fireworks, but riding ok?