Newbie cyclist looking for advice regarding best buy within budget

Melxisdead

Just now, RobynE said:

Mel there’s a really nice green Momsen on Secondhand Bikes SA Facebook group, posted today. It’s above your budget a bit but zero to spend by the looks of things and I’d say it represents really decent value.  

Thank you, I will have a look! :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To everyone who was interested in my bike-buying journey. I ended up purchasing the Scott Aspect 930 bike. :) Before going to see it I had some concerns about the size of the frame but once I adjusted the seat slightly and had a test ride it seemed to be a good fit. 

Thanks again to everyone for their insights and advice. Maybe I will see some of you at future events! Have a good week 

Edited by Melxisdead

1 hour ago, Melxisdead said:

To everyone who was interested in my bike-buying journey. I ended up purchasing the Scott Aspect 930 bike. :) Before going to see it I had some concerns about the size of the frame but once I adjusted the seat slightly and had a test ride it seemed to be a good fit. 

Thanks again to everyone for their insights and advice. Maybe I will see some of you at future events! Have a good week 

I'm glad you find your match :), enjoy !!!

Edit:  Please post some photos of your new ride.

Edited by TheoG

On 3/29/2023 at 12:00 PM, Melxisdead said:

@RobynE Thank you for the advice.

I actually am considering popping in by one or two of the bike shops nearby and asking them for a fitting and some advice too. I think at this point I am torn between a Merida and the Titan range but I am open to anything in good condition that won't set me back too much. I totally understand that buying something cheap at the cost of quality parts is something to consider. I definitely don't wanna shoot myself in the foot. 

I came across a Titan racing rogue calypso sport on FB Marketplace but it is quite a bit out of my budget at 6.9k, but it seems that the seller is a bike dealer so I'm not sure if they are open to lower offers at all.  I know that this model is one of the newer ones as well. 

Please be cautious when you visit a shop... They'll spin you the worlds best ideas to get the sale that might not be right for you. Sure, go visit, ask questions, look-see etc. Then walk away and think about it. 

And, don't forget to budget for safety gear - helmet, gloves, warmer gear, maybe shoes (at a later date), some decent socks etc - sorry if I missed this from an earlier post

1 hour ago, 117 said:

Please be cautious when you visit a shop... They'll spin you the worlds best ideas to get the sale that might not be right for you. Sure, go visit, ask questions, look-see etc. Then walk away and think about it. 

And, don't forget to budget for safety gear - helmet, gloves, warmer gear, maybe shoes (at a later date), some decent socks etc - sorry if I missed this from an earlier post

I agree. Especially with stuff like bike fit. I hear Horror stories. I habe my suppliers that was refered to me. But he's in pta. And yes dit. Skimp on safety gear

1 hour ago, 117 said:

And lights! At the very least a decent strobe for front and rear. 

I am quite pleased with the Lezyne 300 lumens front @ around R250, and the same brand rear @ around R180. I do quite a bit with of road riding on an ugly road in my area and I am very happy with my lights. I also have an extra cheapie light mounted on my helmet just in case. 

Thanks, guys. I actually have two lights that came with the bike but the batteries are both flat. I will have a look online as well. I have a helmet. I've been looking out for bike gloves and some tights also but I know tights and pants can be quite expensive. I have one cheap pair of shorts with a chamois and a pair of Merrell shorts too in the meanwhile.

1 hour ago, Melxisdead said:

Some pics of my new friend :) for those who were interested. No action shots or anything yet 🤪

20230406_152245.jpg

20230406_152303.jpg

20230406_152315.jpg

20230406_152254.jpg

Congrats, many happy miles ... 😊

Ok, first off, congratulations on the purchase, welcome and many happy miles 

2nd - https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp - this link will help you with a setup to ensure that you don't get injured or compensate for a bad setup. 

3rd - 

Your saddle may need to be adjusted forward, on that position your legs are over extending and this will be bad in the long run (just note that I am no expert and don't know everything). 

4th - 

There is an app called "saddle adjust" on the app store / play store. This app will show you the angle of your saddle, try to get as close to 0 as possible. 

5th - 

If you need any other assistance / information / parts you're welcome to send me a DM or send it on this thread to keep me honest 😜

All the best and good luck. 

20230406_152245.jpg.a1744b318546e0068b89fe7f70a3233a~2.jpg