Race to the Sun : Race prep leading up to the 6th of May 2023.

Hi Guys, 

advice needed, I'm prepping for Race to the Sun 2023 167kms(first timer) - i would like to know if there are any tips that i could probably use to prep for this race(ride)

if you have any training advice or nutritional advice please feel free to drop a comment 🙏

thanks in advance. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Giorgio Guilliano Kallee said:

Hi Guys, 

advice needed, I'm prepping for Race to the Sun 2023 167kms(first timer) - i would like to know if there are any tips that i could probably use to prep for this race(ride)

if you have any training advice or nutritional advice please feel free to drop a comment 🙏

thanks in advance. 

You eat during the first 100km for the second 100km or in this case 67km. You need to take in some real food during the first half of the race to ensure that you don't "hit the wall" during the second half. Get something that works for you on the bike and stock up 

To be honest about the route: it is quite a flat and boring ride but this will also provide a different challenge, you'll need to have the miles in the legs to ensure that you can push through :thumbup:

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Skarramoesh

I did the race last year with some challenges broke my derailer in half so single speed fun for a good 100km. 

make sure you have spares for your bike I would recommend the following. 
hanger, quick links x2, tube, tyre plugs, multi tool, co2, and possibly a small pump if you have one the water points are very spread out so you need to be able to sustain yourself for a good bit.

There is a mechanical station at the halfway mark. 

also eat alot and drink alot it is a long dag in the saddle. 

Do at least one ride that is 120km to dial in your setup and make sure you are comfortable. 

there is quite a fare bit of Tar sections so train riding high speeds on tar will improve your finish time significantly. 

This is a "fast race" with the little elevation over the distance, most of the elevation is basically the 2nd half of the race. My suggestion is to get some speed training as to be familiar with a pace you will be riding. Also as suggested go for a long ride 4hours + to get time in the saddle as it will be long day in saddle.

What I did last year is to have my normal riding snacks while riding and had a 10min stop at halfway for decent food and also to top up riding snacks for the 2nd half. Family members were at the halfway mark to provide me with food and also the top up snacks.

1 hour ago, Theunissa said:

I Wanna do the 50 miler. But sounds long and lonely and flat. Especially for the price 

Just keep on increasing your weekend ride distance ....

Even split it in an out.ride, coffee, then the return.

Soon enough 80km is not scary any more.

That said .... huge difference between a relaxed ride and race pace ....

12 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Just keep on increasing your weekend ride distance ....

Even split it in an out.ride, coffee, then the return.

Soon enough 80km is not scary any more.

That said .... huge difference between a relaxed ride and race pace ....

The 80km is not a problem. The problem I have is that it's flat and apparently there might be a sewage problem on the route. I've gone from 0 to quite good distance and climbing in 3,months of coaching. But I'm more training for stage races currently specifically the amohela. The miler is more a see what gravel races are like for when I want to do the Karoo burn 2025

1 hour ago, Theunissa said:

The 80km is not a problem. The problem I have is that it's flat and apparently there might be a sewage problem on the route. I've gone from 0 to quite good distance and climbing in 3,months of coaching. But I'm more training for stage races currently specifically the amohela. The miler is more a see what gravel races are like for when I want to do the Karoo burn 2025

Was keen to ride and then saw this....really??? Are there "river" crossings or rather sewage crossings? Imagine that getting on your water bottle your drink from???

doing a big ride/ increased mileage is nowhere near as dangerous or tough as stretching and doing a long run. If you can do a few 80km rides in the next few weeks and then maybe a 100-120km ride then you will be fine to cross the line. I didn't ride more than 60km at a time for the whole second half of last year and then in Jan I managed a 160km ride. Yes 160km is not a huge ride in the grand scheme of things for me, but it was a long time since I did a big one. It wasn't pretty and I had a good few cramps, but it was a lot faster than expected and really not too bad. Eat well, ride at a level you can manage and you will probably be fine.

I find like day 1 of Amohela will tear your quads apart far worse than a 160km gravel ride. Those climbs are short and steep so it is like a few hours of intervals with big watts and big heartrate spikes. 160km gravel you settle into a rhythm and just grind with a steady heartrate. Shovel food in one end and watts out the other...

The best thing is to make sure you are able to do the mileage on your training rides, test out your nutrition beforehand and have that worked out, and keep yourself hydrated. Also ensure that you ride within your limits, do not get caught up with others pace that you are not able to sustain. The last thing you want is to pop and still have a lot of riding left to do.

2 hours ago, Pandatron said:

@Theunissa  The problem I have is that it's flat and apparently there might be a sewage problem on the route.

Can you substantiate on this?

2 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Was keen to ride and then saw this....really??? Are there "river" crossings or rather sewage crossings? Imagine that getting on your water bottle your drink from???

Like I said apparently. Someone made a paot asking this awhile ago on the hub and there has been no response. And for me knowing how wonderful out country's management solves sewage problems and the cost of the race I don't know if I wnat to risk this without proper comms. And the organizers dont really answer the questions 

8 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

one more thing that I can add, I think the first half is quite easy, then the climb and corrugation starts.(my opinion)

Correct. The first half is fast with some good gravel roads with hardly any climbing, the only climbing will be from the start at the boat club to the main road leading to the dam wall. After halfway there is long tar stretch(slow drag) until you find the gravel road with some loose sand when trying to avoid the corrugation with some rolling hills(nothing serious but just energy sapping due to the condition of the road). If you started out to fast this gravel road after halfway will eat your remaining energy very quickly. Then it will be long tiring way to the end.