Philadelphia. Overnight bike trip

R E CYCLIST

Would like to cycle from Rondebosch to Philadelphia via Melkbosstrand. What I would like to know is there a route from Melkbos to Philadelphia without cycling on N7 n which is safe. 

Many thanks 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, R E CYCLIST said:

Would like to cycle from Rondebosch to Philadelphia via Melkbosstrand. What I would like to know is there a route from Melkbos to Philadelphia without cycling on N7 n which is safe. 

Many thanks 

Camp Ground Rd along to Liesbeek and Lower Main Rd. Church Street over onto the N1 and then peel off onto Marine Drive until you can get onto the bike lane. Cruise all the way to Melkbos. Easy.
Melkbos to Mamre Rd towards Atlantis, Turn right onto the Philadelphia Rd, which goes under the N7 and you are there!

As above except ride past the n7 off and on ramps and turn left onto botterberg. Dirt and gravel section ... Follow to t junction. Turn left then left onto Philadelphia road 

5 hours ago, R E CYCLIST said:

Many thanks 

Road bike or Off-Road Bike?

You could do this or a variation of it i.e. at Melkbos take the Melkbosstrand Road then left on the Mamre Road.

7 hours ago, splat said:

Camp Ground Rd along to Liesbeek and Lower Main Rd. Church Street over onto the N1 and then peel off onto Marine Drive until you can get onto the bike lane. Cruise all the way to Melkbos. Easy.
Melkbos to Mamre Rd towards Atlantis, Turn right onto the Philadelphia Rd, which goes under the N7 and you are there!

Many thanks. Just found that route on Komoot

2 hours ago, milky4130 said:

Road bike or Off-Road Bike?

You could do this or a variation of it i.e. at Melkbos take the Melkbosstrand Road then left on the Mamre Road.

Road bike. Many thanks

45 minutes ago, R E CYCLIST said:

Planning to go end of April. Long weekend. Now that route is sorted trying to find accommodation in the town

are you using it as a stop over or returning the next day? can definitely be ridden in one day, I reckon 6 hours plus a lunch stop.

2 hours ago, milky4130 said:

are you using it as a stop over or returning the next day? can definitely be ridden in one day, I reckon 6 hours plus a lunch stop.

Yes that's about right time wise, but it depends on wind, SE gets you there quickly, NW gets you home quickly. No wind and its perfect. Hardly a climb to speak of. Pepper Tree is the best current refuel option.

My preferred long distance training ride from Llandudno.

If you want overnight and are prepared to do longer distances, I'd suggest you can also try Darling, Yzerfontein, Riebeek Kasteel, Tulbach and Porterville - those are all big days - but all have nice overnight accommodation and good food/ refuel options.

Enjoy it, nice time of the year for that area, generally not too windy.

And if you go gravel and as @tubedsays are willing to ride a bit longer the options are many. Hermanus very doable.

I have a 5 day gravel route on Strava waiting for a 5 or 6 day gap when I won't be missed. Obz to hermanus. Hermanus to Agulhas. Agulhas to Greyton. Greyton to Tulbagh. Tulbagh home.

@Mamil out of interest what is your route from Obz to Hermanus? (I'm always looking for safer options out of CT)

6 minutes ago, tubed said:

Yes that's about right time wise, but it depends on wind, SE gets you there quickly, NW gets you home quickly. No wind and its perfect. Hardly a climb to speak of. Pepper Tree is the best current refuel option.

My preferred long distance training ride from Llandudno.

If you want overnight and are prepared to do longer distances, I'd suggest you can also try Darling, Yzerfontein, Riebeek Kasteel, Tulbach and Porterville - those are all big days - but all have nice overnight accommodation and good food/ refuel options.

Enjoy it, nice time of the year for that area, generally not too windy.

Passing Philladelphia, then the new "old Malmesbury" road quickly gets you to Malmesbury.

All depends on the distance one is aiming for.

Probably only a few overnight option in Philladelphia.

Last few trips to Philladelphia Die Meul was closed.  Pepper Tree seems the only viable stop for cyclists now - a very nice stop !!