Philadelphia. Overnight bike trip

R E CYCLIST

6 hours ago, milky4130 said:

are you using it as a stop over or returning the next day? can definitely be ridden in one day, I reckon 6 hours plus a lunch stop.

Stay over at Philadelphia, ride back next day

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, tubed said:

Yes that's about right time wise, but it depends on wind, SE gets you there quickly, NW gets you home quickly. No wind and its perfect. Hardly a climb to speak of. Pepper Tree is the best current refuel option.

My preferred long distance training ride from Llandudno.

If you want overnight and are prepared to do longer distances, I'd suggest you can also try Darling, Yzerfontein, Riebeek Kasteel, Tulbach and Porterville - those are all big days - but all have nice overnight accommodation and good food/ refuel options.

Enjoy it, nice time of the year for that area, generally not too windy.

Thanks alot. Really appreciate it. 

Darling, to Ceres, next time when my buddies have time off from their wives😁

15 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Passing Philladelphia, then the new "old Malmesbury" road quickly gets you to Malmesbury.

All depends on the distance one is aiming for.

Probably only a few overnight option in Philladelphia.

Last few trips to Philladelphia Die Meul was closed.  Pepper Tree seems the only viable stop for cyclists now - a very nice stop !!

There is also a small cafe / coffee shop called Bon Appetite .... their toasties are made with home made bread, and they are also a heck of a lot cheaper that Pepper Tree if you are looking for a light meal.

De Ou Meul unfortunately closed their doors about a month ago.

Google Maps tell me that there is a back packers in town, but rather call either Pepper Tree or the Bon Appetite and ask them RE accommodation. It may also be an idea contacting the church for accommodation as I understand they "own" the town.

Arrow drawing into the town is from the N7 direction.

image.png.79b09ea9f575c464a08f1f0b29c9efb3.png

12 hours ago, R E CYCLIST said:

Stay over at Philadelphia, ride back next day

Feels like I'm missing something obvious - but Philadelphia is just more than 40km from Cape Town with no serious climbs in-between. So unless you are fighting a raging headwind or doing a coffee stop every 10km that is like a 2 hour cycle? (3 hours max)

On a long weekend you might just find yourself with a whole lot of time and not much to do unless you only start your journey after lunch?

Anyway, just another suggestion if you are on mtb's - ride out to Capaia where there are some trails (cannot vouch for how exciting or not they are) and another option for lunch/dinner.

21 minutes ago, Hairy said:

There is also a small cafe / coffee shop called Bon Appetite .... their toasties are made with home made bread, and they are also a heck of a lot cheaper that Pepper Tree if you are looking for a light meal.

De Ou Meul unfortunately closed their doors about a month ago.

Google Maps tell me that there is a back packers in town, but rather call either Pepper Tree or the Bon Appetite and ask them RE accommodation. It may also be an idea contacting the church for accommodation as I understand they "own" the town.

Arrow drawing into the town is from the N7 direction.

image.png.79b09ea9f575c464a08f1f0b29c9efb3.png

What are our options with our bicycles at Bon Appetite ?

43 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

What are our options with our bicycles at Bon Appetite ?

I would say that you would be most welcome.

They have an inside seating area, and also a courtyard available.

55 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Feels like I'm missing something obvious - but Philadelphia is just more than 40km from Cape Town with no serious climbs in-between. So unless you are fighting a raging headwind or doing a coffee stop every 10km that is like a 2 hour cycle? (3 hours max)

On a long weekend you might just find yourself with a whole lot of time and not much to do unless you only start your journey after lunch?

Anyway, just another suggestion if you are on mtb's - ride out to Capaia where there are some trails (cannot vouch for how exciting or not they are) and another option for lunch/dinner.

might be more of a light tour / ride out type experience vs a training ride

6 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I would say that you would be most welcome.

They have an inside seating area, and also a courtyard available.

I need to pop in ask ....

From the road the courtyard is empty.  Only entry being via the door into the indoor area.

I have not seen any cyclists there ....

59 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I need to pop in ask ....

From the road the courtyard is empty.  Only entry being via the door into the indoor area.

I have not seen any cyclists there ....

I think this spot is a "lesser know" shop.

Should be passing by there tomorrow afternoon, if I am not running late I will stop in and ask.

I do cycle from Melkbos up to the N7 then left towards Malmesbury, at new bridge right  towards  Philadelphia on regular basis,  The section of N7 is much safer than using the Mamre road toward Atlantis (i do not cycle that part on my own anymore).  The  surface along this section of the N7 is awesome for road bike.  You can also when getting to the N7 from Melkbos, turn right towards Cape Town, after 5 km left taking the Schoonsdrift road, some potholes, just go slow on down hill. Some extra km 

Why not do circular route.

1. From Rondebosch find your way to Durbanville, go down Adderly street. Turn left at the end towards Philadelphia 

2. From  Philadelphia towards N7, on N7 to Melkbos turn off and so on.  Or can do Schoonsdrift from Philadelphia, Melkbos, then home.

If strong SE wind predicted for day 2, nr 2 for 1st day.

can contact me if you need more detail of route.  

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

might be more of a light tour / ride out type experience vs a training ride

True - my slight worry for him is that the ride is done in about 2 hours and then you find yourself for a whole day in a one horse town with not much to do.

Although thinking about it there are some options to visit by bicycle - Capaia and the ostrich farm on Van Schoorsdrift come to mind

On a side note when @SURFER say Van Schoorsdrift and "some" potholes that is the understatement of the year! That road  is full suspension mtb territory nowadays 🤣

@ChrisF The Coffee Shop / Cafe are open on the weekend, and are more than happy to have cyclists come visit. They have also rearranged their courtyard seating so that there is under cover seating and they can either open the sliding gate for you to bring your bikes in, or you just push it in through the front door.

image.jpeg.98b67ec1bb7f7c747d8134abd18518cc.jpeg

@R E CYCLIST there is apparently only place that offers accommodation that is located across from the police station ... for the life of me I can not recall the name of the establishment. It looks quaint from the outside. Either the cop shop or the local cafe can offer up the name I am sure if you call them. It used to be called Helen Se Hoekwinkel before.

image.png.efe0aab8f422d62457a096fddbbaaee0.png

4 hours ago, Hairy said:

@ChrisF The Coffee Shop / Cafe are open on the weekend, and are more than happy to have cyclists come visit. They have also rearranged their courtyard seating so that there is under cover seating and they can either open the sliding gate for you to bring your bikes in, or you just push it in through the front door.

image.jpeg.98b67ec1bb7f7c747d8134abd18518cc.jpeg

@R E CYCLIST there is apparently only place that offers accommodation that is located across from the police station ... for the life of me I can not recall the name of the establishment. It looks quaint from the outside. Either the cop shop or the local cafe can offer up the name I am sure if you call them. It used to be called Helen Se Hoekwinkel before.

image.png.efe0aab8f422d62457a096fddbbaaee0.png

My only real recommendation is to please ride with a flashing red light on the back of your bike. It really makes a massive difference in visibility along this stretch of the road.

I can see the lights from far away compared to cyclists who do not use them, and the verge of the road is nearly non-existent in many cases along this road, and a mixture of slow to fast (Car, farm vehicles, trucks, etc)