Clipless vs Flats Advice

440MTB

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I have been riding flats I feel like I have been enjoying myself more, can't say why tho. I have done some LONG rides in my 510 impact pro's and can't say that my feet felt any different than what they did when I did them clipped in. I do agree with Morne on the shin pads though. I still wear them from time to time although my shins look like they have been attacked by a rabid meerkat it is still not lekker to get moered by a pedal full of pins.

On 4/30/2023 at 6:53 PM, 440MTB said:

Hey there all, I trust you're well!

So I've recently started transitioning away from traditional XC styled gear, over to some more trail type gear, as I feel I'm enjoying challenge of the berms and more gnarly terrain these days, and may try the longer travel bike route at some point, but currently I have my Scott Spark 910 (carbon) up for sale, as I've transitioned over to a cheaper short travel trail bike (Aluminium), which I don't feel sorry for/worried about when taking a slam (which I took a fairly hard one around 3 weeks back at Jonkershoek on my 2nd ride on the trail bike).

That said I do still like doing longer rides (I like riding from home, hitting a few trails, and riding back [anything from 30 to 70+km), but the bike I have is more than comfortable enough for said longer rides (albeit not as fast as my Spark).

So, I've got a few questions pertaining to clipless vs flats for you guys in the know:

1. Flats (Pedals)

• I've not ridden flats, basically, ever... I've been riding clipless since I got back into MTB'ing in Feb 2022 (Done around 3700km to date).
  • Would it be detrimental to change over to flats for longer rides (as I only see the benefits of flats when hitting more trail/enduro type terrain such as Jonkershoek, etc, here in CPT)?

2. Clipless Flats (Shoes):

• Would one be able to ride a set of clipless flats without clips installed on flats with a decent amount of grip, without damaging the shoes (where the clips install)? I was thinking of perhaps having a friend 3D print covers in a rubber material for me to cover the clipless slots/hole in the sole when running flats only.
  • I'd then just install my SPD pedals on my bike, and install the clips on the shoes when I do intend on doing longer rides.

3. Flats Only (Shoes):

• Would they do the job on longer rides as well, or are clipless pedals simply the way to go for longer rides?

I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but I do feel like I'm enjoying the learning curve/challenge/allure of more gravity type riding. That said, I feel sometimes I get held back by the idea of sliding around when clipped in (had a big rear end slide earlier today at Meerendal, thankfully I made it home in one piece 🙂 ).

Basically feel free to chuck in your 2 cents, or any advice as I'm quite confused with what route to take here... two sets of shoes is the very last resort (and something I don't really want to do).

Thanks in advance!

Hi, you can also consider using a Clipless pedal with a platform, like the shimano xt trails or one of the crank brother Mallet models. They give the feeling of support under foot that flat pedals give and freedom to pivot your heels but still have all the advantages of being clipped in.

From my experience the mallet pedals are very easy to clip in and out of as it doesn't have to be so secure as you have the platform to stand on. And even when you cant clip in immediately, the platform is enough to get by until you can get your footing right.

On 5/3/2023 at 9:20 AM, Pieter1 said:

Since I have been riding flats I feel like I have been enjoying myself more, can't say why tho. I have done some LONG rides in my 510 impact pro's and can't say that my feet felt any different than what they did when I did them clipped in. I do agree with Morne on the shin pads though. I still wear them from time to time although my shins look like they have been attacked by a rabid meerkat it is still not lekker to get moered by a pedal full of pins.

The state of my shins will give Freddy Kruger wet dreams…

My last strike resulted in 12 stiches haha

I actually switched from flats to cleats very recently, less than a month ago. 

I'll confidently say that cleats have been better for me in every single way. Feel more connected to the bike and rocky terrain is way easier now being locked onto the bike. My pedalling efficiency is also way up. I really like that my foot is always in the correct position when heading down hill. I always struggled with flats to get my feet in the optimal position before descending, and when I did it was super annoying having my foot shift out of place mid run which really threw my mind off. 

Overall im really enjoying cleats and actually have my shoes and pedals up for sale!

You do get pedals that are flats one side, clipless the other, if that helps. I have a pair lying around somewhere. Shimano IIRC.

12 hours ago, Graham S said:

I actually switched from flats to cleats very recently, less than a month ago. 

I'll confidently say that cleats have been better for me in every single way. Feel more connected to the bike and rocky terrain is way easier now being locked onto the bike. My pedalling efficiency is also way up. I really like that my foot is always in the correct position when heading down hill. I always struggled with flats to get my feet in the optimal position before descending, and when I did it was super annoying having my foot shift out of place mid run which really threw my mind off. 

Overall im really enjoying cleats and actually have my shoes and pedals up for sale!

What pedals and shoes were you using ?

With proper 2FO type shoes there is NO movement or sliding of your foot.

The sliding issue is very noticible on tekkies though.

PS - after about 10 000km my 2FO soles are showing a bit of wear, and there is the slightest movement.  These are now used for my road rides, and a new set of 2FO shoes keeps me planted on the trails.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

PS - after about 10 000km my 2FO soles are showing a bit of wear, and there is the slightest movement.  These are now used for my road rides, and a new set of 2FO shoes keeps me planted on the trails.

I agree here. The type and quality of shoe makes a big difference. When I was trying to find wide enough clip less shoes I could feel the difference between tjebmrp / decathlon and the lake/specialized shoes. Even with flats. But unfortunately all are still to narrow for me. I habe short wide feet( plaas pote) and normal tekkies arw the worst. When soles are wet. 

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Was using Leatt Gravity 2.0 and I replaced my studs with 12mm allen caps for extra grip. Helped a lot i must say. Not like my feet were sliding around but when it did go off line it was annoying. 

I had a similar feel back in the day when I used to skateboard. I had to wear thick socks and my feet had to be very warm, then id be able to do tricks and grinds etc with full confidence. 

Riding with cleats gives me that "perfect" feeling every time so it feels great. 

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

For Every Different Shoes You must Set the Saddle Height because the Shoe Soles Differ in Thickness.

Keep this in mind When Using a Different pair of Shoes.

If the Shoes are being damaged by the pins it means that the saddle is too high.

Shoes should not slip on the Pins. If it happens something is Wrong.

20 hours ago, MORNE said:

The state of my shins will give Freddy Kruger wet dreams…

My last strike resulted in 12 stiches haha

I don't get this, you would rather have effed shins and stitches regularly or have to ride with knee guards. Than ride with cleats which once you have figured out(and they not rocket science) cause pretty much 0 issues?

I dropped cleats 2 years ago for a set of Spank Spoons and 2FO flats. So ja, I paid my blood tax on the morning of the purchase, thinking I can mos go ride the Leatt Skills Park and hit the jumps like I always did. Boy, was I in for a surprise. Calf got ripped open Freddy Krueger style, as @MORNE  said, on the first table.

I then backed off the hooligan dial and had to basically relearn how to ride my bike again. It took maybe 6 to 8 weeks, but suddenly one day I realised I was actually riding better than before I went flat.

My skills were vastly improved, I am way more comfortable on my bike, and the couple offs I had were minor all because I was able to smash the eject button as the bike was going down in flames. My previous journeys to the scene of the accident with cleats always involved me going over the bars, and I have the scars and hospital bills to prove that riding with cleats on anything other than tar is a stupid idea.

just my 2 cents. use it, don't use it.

5 hours ago, dave303e said:

I don't get this, you would rather have effed shins and stitches regularly or have to ride with knee guards. Than ride with cleats which once you have figured out(and they not rocket science) cause pretty much 0 issues?

You didn't read all my posts i think.

I ride clipped in too, and have done for many years…enough to know that I like 5* float more than 4* and that i like to run a spd pedal all the way open vs other brands turned in halway…and that ryder brand cleats feel just as good as shimano ones, and that Look ones are too floaty for my liking…and that I dont like the vague feel of a crankbrothers cleat, or that my Hope trail ones annoy me when they get muddy…to the point i want to bin them.

i just prefer riding certain terrain on flat pedals. usually the same terrain that requires a knee guard if you value your knee caps and are pushing 40 haha.

They are a horses for courses kind a thing for me.