Looking for a well specced allu ST trail bike

MilkManMike

21 hours ago, MilkManMike said:

Hi guys, please help point me in the right direction. I am seemingly looking for something that the bike industry doesn't see a need to provide.

For a whole lot of reasons that probably do not make sense, I do not want a carbon frame. But that doesn’t mean I don't want high end components. I am happy to build up a bike, but its not exactly easy to get good allu frames locally either. My current bike is a 2021 Spark 910, and I am planning on keeping it as my marathon/XC steed. But I want a new bike for trail riding and to travel with later in the year, which will include some light bike packing and some trail park riding and exploring in Europe. I want a bike I wont feel sorry for if it take some rock damage, and also wont mind chucking on a trailer or hooking on a lift that isn’t 100% perfectly padded, this is why I dont want a carbon frame.

Looking for something in the 130-140mm travel range.

I was leaning towards a Stumpjumper, but the only Allu option is horribly specced. The Comp is actually a decent value for money option, and the Expert is really well specced, and basically what I would want, but just on an allu frame. I looked at the frame only options, but they only offer the evo frame in allu, not the ST version.

Are there any other good non carbon 130-140mm frame options I can look at so I can build a nice bike up? I had 3 ST stumpjumpers (1 allu and 2 carbons) before the spark, and loved them all, with the latest version being the best trail bike I have ever ridden, so I am biased towards stumpies, but not dead set on one. But what other options are out there for a really good non-carbon trail bike, either frame only, or full bike that I can just do a few upgrades on?

I did ask at Helderberg Cycles if they could order me a allu frame, but the salesman said they can only get allu frames for warranty replacements, not for retail.

I am in half a mind to just buy the Expert and an entry level allu version, and have them just swop everything over between the two bikes, but who is going to buy a carbon stumpjumper expert, with a bunch of entry level components on it, and at what price? and I dont have the patience and will to sell the parts out separately in the classifieds, as I would rather gauge my eyeballs out with a spoon than deal with a hundred “is it still avaialble” messages.

So, before I end up blowing R155k to get the bike I want, that should only cost R100k, what other options are there? Surely there must be some well specced off the shelf non carbon trail bikes still on the market?

Have you tried @droo at Stoke for a custom Banshee or Transition?

16 hours ago, MilkManMike said:

Would love a Meta 140, but who sells them locally? I am willing and able to build up a bike if I have to, but I would much prefer to just buy something readily available. Which is what makes the trek so appealing now that it’s on my radar. (Edit, I see they have a South African online store now. That’s great). Pretty much a coin toss then between the trek EX7 and the meta TR essential then. Meta needs a lot less to be upgraded though… maybe rims… so probably a better buy…

Enjoy the Trek, don't think you can go wrong really!
Did a shoot with a mate's custom Commencal Meta HT build for a client, they definitely work through LBS's as well 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqqNzIDN1rU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link 

3 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Actually the Trek gives a Good Resale Value if You don't Over Capitalize.

Good to know, but I’m buying this to ride it…. Not sell it. 

Congrats on the new bike. Fork and brake levers are all that is needed IMO. The stock fork will get overwhelmed quickly in the rough stuff, so a Pike, 34 or Z2 would be on my upgrade list. As for the brakes, a set of Deore 6120 levers with the stock 4 piston calipers and you sould be good to go. The stock rotors won't work with sintered pads, which are also a good upgrade for more power.

12 hours ago, MilkManMike said:

Good to know, but I’m buying this to ride it…. Not sell it. 

Who Knows What Happens in the Future !