Reasonable priced road bicycle for lady

ycowley

Here is the problem I have: -

I have a dinosaur of a road bike (Giant). Her wheels are starting to show serious age (i.e. cracking rims).

I either have to: -

1. Rebuild the wheels; or

2. Buy a new bike

I have been selected to represent RSA is the World Championships age group sprint triathlon in Hamburg in July.

What would you do and if a new bike I have already paid out a huge amount towards accommodation and flights, etc. so cannot afford a really expensive new bike so please keep that in mind when pointing me in the direction of possible new bikes.  

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Anaconda35 said:

That's an interesting topic. I am currently searching for a bike for my wife as well

Interesting but complex. So many different kinds of bikes out there. What to choose?

Find out if your missus really likes riding bikes by borrowing a bike or hiring for a while. So many wives get bikes but don't end up enjoying the sport. Commuter, road, gravel, mountain bikes - (XC, Trail, Enduro), Triathlon.

So many choices. Good luck with your search.

PS: (most guys upgrade their old hard-tail bike - and pass it on to their missis - while they ride the new dual-suss...🤫)

Edited by robbybzgo

Maybe have a look at ITU rules or ask your coach  before looking at wheels.

If i am not mistaken the age groups have a minimum spoke count for wheels and you don't want to show up on the day and not ride due to incorrect equipment. 

Get your coach to go over your equipment before you leave. The pre race check is strict and they look at everything from frame angles to spoke count. 

Below Snip from ITU competition rules say no less than 20 metal spokes and must be alloy rim.

Screenshot_20230518-072536.jpg

Edited by Barry

On 5/2/2023 at 11:14 AM, ycowley said:

I have a dinosaur of a road bike (Giant). Her wheels are starting to show serious age (i.e. cracking rims).

2. Buy a new bike

I have been selected to represent RSA is the World Championships age group sprint triathlon in Hamburg in July.

What would you do and if a new bike I have already paid out a huge amount towards accommodation and flights, etc. so cannot afford a really expensive new bike so please keep that in mind when pointing me in the direction of possible new bikes.  

What size are you looking for? I have a bike I don’t use. pM me if you want to k kw more

On 5/2/2023 at 11:14 AM, ycowley said:

2. Buy a new bike

@RobertWhitehead