Wheel polishing

Edrich1234

Hi guys. I went to service my bike at a local bike shop and they "polished" my tyres and it looked brand new. My question is what product can I use to also experience this effect without it damaging the tyre.( What is the product's name and where do I get it?)

Usually something silicone based will make tyres look amazing and tyre cleaners (automotive) will have silicone as their primary ingredient. HOWEVER - silicone attracts dust like a magnet. I would stay well away.

7 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Usually something silicone based will make tyres look amazing and tyre cleaners (automotive) will have silicone as their primary ingredient. HOWEVER - silicone attracts dust like a magnet. I would stay well away.

Nevermind that some shops seem to get this stuff on the brake rotors as well, then it's a pain...

"Insert squealing shimano brake sound":ph34r:

44 minutes ago, Mtree said:

Nevermind that some shops seem to get this stuff on the brake rotors as well, then it's a pain...

Sheet I never thought of that. Another reason my bike never sees a bike shop - only for wheel trying...

Muc-Off Bike Protect gets my Tan sidewalls clean and shining again. Doesnt attract as much dust as the likes of a standard Silicone Shine

is this stuff not slippery though ? all good and well if its just the sidewalls, but the moment you get it on any part of the tread that you use its going to affect grip

Namgear do a bike polish that'll make your tyres nice and shiny, but they'll need to get a bit of dirt on them before they stick to anything again. AFAIK it's meant to just be a frame polish though.

14 hours ago, Mtree said:

it is much more fun that than that, a friend and I were buggering around before a motorbike race a few years back, anyway childish games meant we both had front brakes covered in silicon spray on the startline. We both could do nothing but laugh when we were dragging our bikes out the bushes on the outside of the first corner because we just couldn't get the bikes to stop and neither was going to take it easy off the line. Lessons learned, it burns off quick enough

Any silicon spray does this. Just dont get it near brake pads as its a lubricant and designed to make things slip easier so your first attempt to stop may be quote dramantic. It also protects and restores any plastic or carbon and makes it easier to clean MTBs as mud wont stick to the tubes - bit like spray and cook used to be used for muddy races. After you wash the bike you spray it down - all the rubber, saddle, hoods etc - makes them gleam nicely and also easier to clean.

You can buy it at Builders or any car store dont get hoodwinked in to bike specific brands.

Edited by Paul Ruinaard

13 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Any silicon spray does this. Just dont get it near brake pads as its a lubricant and designed to make things slip easier so your first attempt to stop may be quote dramantic. It also protects and restores any plastic or carbon and makes it easier to clean MTBs as mud wont stick to the tubes - bit like spray and cook used to be used for muddy races. After you wash the bike you spray it down - all the rubber, saddle, hoods etc - makes them gleam nicely and also easier to clean.

You can buy it at Builders or any car store dont get hoodwinked in to bike specific brands.

Spray onto a microfibre cloth, never directly onto the frame/fork/wheels. Biggest mistake most guys make. 

Dirt Nurse makes a good product, don't spray on brakes. 

Apply to a cloth and use that of you can't trust yourself. 

You can also just polish and wipe them shiny with good old Nugget black. But of all the things I need to do in this world, polishing tyres isn't one of them. YMMV.