Indoor trainer vs watt bike

GW

Hi all, i recently got my hand on a elite directo x. Everything i read up its a good trainer. But here my problem. I am doing watt bike with a proper studio really enjoy the classes however it would be easier to just jump on the bike in my lunch time. I am no 100 miler person more weekend warrior. 
Is a wattbike really that good or will i get the same benefits from this indoor smart trainer? Ps. Based on opinions a smart trainer might be for sale soon 😆

From another weekend rider ...

An indoor trainer is a decent tool.

HOWEVER ... you need the correct platform to actually get use out of that tool.

Zwift has a few free weeks to test it out.

Couple of other electronic platforms to choose from as well.

I am getting GOOD use out of my trainer 👍👍

If you do the same/similar type of training on the indoor as you do on the watt bike, you will be as good. 

Having had the watt bike studio coach oversee your training, it means you will need to do that yourself on the indoor and not get lured into deviating from the plan. 

I did a 12-week block of training with a watt bike studio, and got a 20-min best power that I have yet to surpass (last 8 years). About a 3% difference, which can also be the tolerance of the power meter on each device (some show +/- 1-2%), and simply getting older.

my 2c is that the trainer is the way to go. If I look at the running costs of riding outside or paying a gym for a wattbike. The trainer will pay itself off very quickly.

In terms of the platform to run the trainer this is key. They all have dedicated training plans now, it is a bit harder to follow when you can slack off training at home. But I look at the turnaround my wife had with her cycling from a basic zwift training plan, it was impressive. She was a total beginner and now in terms of pedaling she can definitely hold her own with the average weekend warrior and has done some pretty big rides(200+km mtb).

I dropped my virgin active membership in lieu of a used Wahoo kickr in 2017. I put my old hardtail on it. I run the old 10speed XT rear derailleur with the cheapest 10 speed road cassette and chain and a 40tooth chainring up front. Because it is a sterile environment the chain and cassette last forever on minimal lube(wax makes them go even further). We clean the chain every 2 weeks and re lube it every few rides.

Means my weekend bike lives a pretty awesome life, when it goes out I am fit and enjoy the ride and it is looked after well and basically only has weekend and sunny days rides on it. With a new baby in the house I have had a few 10pm and 3am rides which I would not have done if I had to go to a gym. Even walking across the field to my personal plaas gym in the cold is a struggle some mornings. The big key is to make it hassle free, if you have to struggle, setting up bikes and tvs and moving furniture and fans etc, then you will not do it. If you commit to getting a basic set up permanently ready, you will do better.

here's my 2c

If you're going to free ride and just roam around Zwifting is the answer. Wahoo has a reasonable ride-around platform, but Zwift is better.

If, like me, you're more into doing workouts according to a plan, Zwift isn't the best option - Wahoo or Trainerroad or something like that's better.

But to follow a workout plan, you can just use a head unit like a Garmin or Wahoo to run the workout, controlling the trainer according to the watts needed. For that you need a plan though...

Personally, I used Zwift and found it gimmicky and wanted to use my time properly, so moved to Wahoo, then found workouts I was being given were repeated. It was easy enough to transribe then using Intervals.icu, sync with my Garmin, then use that to run the workout through the smart trainer while I blast beats on the stereo while I watch 'Bike the World' on youtube and it's free...

7 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

here's my 2c

If you're going to free ride and just roam around Zwifting is the answer. Wahoo has a reasonable ride-around platform, but Zwift is better.

If, like me, you're more into doing workouts according to a plan, Zwift isn't the best option - Wahoo or Trainerroad or something like that's better.

But to follow a workout plan, you can just use a head unit like a Garmin or Wahoo to run the workout, controlling the trainer according to the watts needed. For that you need a plan though...

Personally, I used Zwift and found it gimmicky and wanted to use my time properly, so moved to Wahoo, then found workouts I was being given were repeated. It was easy enough to transribe then using Intervals.icu, sync with my Garmin, then use that to run the workout through the smart trainer while I blast beats on the stereo while I watch 'Bike the World' on youtube and it's free...

+1, the trainerroad adaptive looks really interesting, 

If you have a coach and use trainingpeaks then rouvy is also a great option, your coach can build the intervals in TP and they are there ready to do in rouvy. You can also download the route so you can save a bunch of bandwidth for the TV streaming.

A Wattbike is absolutely great but in essence watts are watts, be it on a Wattbike or (power) capable IDT and that is what you basically require.  (Yes yes, of course there are caveats and intricacies, but for the purpose of this discussion :) ) 

Rouvy also have build in programs, or you can build and customise your own.  (Just a note - subscription varies between 12 -15 euro / m)

The convenience factor to have access to an IDT counts for a lot :)  So in short - yes you will get (more or less) the same benefit if you do comparable training.

I think you should also weigh up cost vs convenience.

If you are planning on purchasing a Wattbike, they aren't cheap compared to an IDT, but easily adjustable for both you and the missus to make use of.

The downside of an IDT is having to put your bike on and off each time if you don't have a spare bike lying around you can just keep on the trainer all the time.

I've used Zwift, but I find it a bit distracting from what you are actually out there to achieve, especially if you only have a set amount of time, ie. 45min or so.

I much prefer Wattbike Hub style and just ride according to the numbers on a workout plan.

Wattbike also has the Pedalling Effectiveness Score (PES) to help maximize your training.

If I could afford it, I'd have the Wattbike in my home.

17 hours ago, Chingy182 said:

The downside of an IDT is having to put your bike on and off each time

That's about 5 seconds...  /s

IDT plus Youtube for me (Why pay for Zwift = there is always cycling content to catch up on, on Youtube.)

2 hours ago, Akon said:

That's about 5 seconds...  /s

IDT plus Youtube for me (Why pay for Zwift = there is always cycling content to catch up on, on Youtube.)

This, 

I have cancelled my Fulgaz subscription as I mostly do structured sessions and am using Garmin to control the resistance (Kikr), coupled with some music and YT on the TV - I am sorted.

IMO - Wattbike was great when it came out but these days IDT have ERG mode and that is 1 of the best inventions ever making the Wattbike somewhat outdated.

If you need the motivation and commitment from a class environment then rather stay with the Wattbike studio if you are able to motivate yourself and have the discipline to train then a Smart Trainer is definitely the way to go.

Depends what you wnat to achieve and how disciplined you are. Having a trainer in your house is very convenient but like they say it lacks the class vibe - however a discord chat server and some meetups quickly get you in to a setup like thta . TBH the other thing is as mentioned in comparison wattbikes are somewhat outdated and less immersive. You end up with training become gamified and you are chasing trophies in Zwift which you now wnat - new bikes, new routes, big climbs, etc. Zwift and trainers give you a virtual world to ride in - Wattbikes you ghavent got an Alpe du Zwift or a mast climb or a Ventop that is something to conquer. Also if you add your road bikes with power pedals etc then you get as much if not more details about your pedal stroke etc.

7 hours ago, Cyclewizz said:

Wattbike was great when it came out but these days IDT have ERG mode and that is 1 of the best inventions ever making the Wattbike somewhat outdated.

According to this certain Wattbike models do have ERG mode.

Ergo mode is a feature currently available on the Wattbike Atom, Next Generation Wattbike Atom, and the Wattbike AtomX.

Ergo mode allows you to select a target wattage in Quick Ride, and the resistance of your smart bike will be adjusted automatically to match the target wattage independent of your leg speed. 

When you select to follow one of our structured workouts in the Wattbike Hub app, the Wattbike will again adjust the resistance automatically to follow the workout or climb you have selected.

Edited by Pieter-za

When it comes to motivation, having an option at home is best if that's most convenient to you. I've trained for big days and weeks out using nothing but a Concept2 bike erg because that's what I have at home and it's convenient during a European winter and even when I have to go to the office, it's easy to fit a 60 min Zwift session in at 5am. But then again, I enjoy suffering and I don't like people, so..