Gravel friendly 29” tyres

Bub Marley

Never imported bike stuff before. But it's around R900 per tyre (tax incl) before shipping and handling. Not sure how much that would be. 

Maxxis are regularly R700-R900 per tyre. Vittoria as well. Hell, even Specialized tyres were under R900 last week. 

But I agree, it "could" be worth it to get the tyre you want. But I haven't tried that tyre before, I would like to still. But maybe I will give it a try when the exchange rate looks a bit better. 

I see some other cool stuff on the site as well. Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, figjam_sa said:

Never imported bike stuff before. But it's around R900 per tyre (tax incl) before shipping and handling. Not sure how much that would be. 

Maxxis are regularly R700-R900 per tyre. Vittoria as well. Hell, even Specialized tyres were under R900 last week. 

But I agree, it "could" be worth it to get the tyre you want. But I haven't tried that tyre before, I would like to still. But maybe I will give it a try when the exchange rate looks a bit better. 

It's not worth it.

You end up paying double.

Just buy tyres from the local bike shops, They are struggling at the moment.

Winter makes a big difference.

On 5/24/2023 at 6:31 AM, Cardio Goth said:

I've been investigating this and have decided to swap out my current 2.4s for Rene Herse Fleecer Ridge 2.2s. I don't think that they're particularly good MTB tyres, but they're apparently very fast rolling - see Bikepacking.com's review and road.cc's review 

I really would not waste money on the Rene Herse Fleecer Ridges. I have a few thousand Km's on a pair and they are ok but not worth the price. Overall the Mezcal is a better tyre. Just as fast, better grip, last way longer and they are about half the price if you get them on sale.

35 minutes ago, figjam_sa said:

Since you mentioned thee "S" .... :P

I have running their Sawtooth since February.  Nice and fast rolling on tar, and super stable when I do go on dirt..... both more so than the Gravel King I had before.

Good to know, thanks

Just looking for a fast tire that can be used on those Gravel days. Something like the Continental seems to fit the bill. Wanted to get some Aspens when they were on sale, but I understand the Continental Race Kings could be even better for this application. 

On 5/24/2023 at 4:48 PM, El Duderino said:

I just did the Ronde von Riebeek gravel race on my full suspension MTB. I don't have space, or a compliant wife for a third bike, so it had to do. I fitted a Panaracer GravelKing SK+ 700 x 50mm (2.0) on my 30mm ID 29er rim on the rear and a Maxxis Ikon 2.4 on the front. It was comfortable I found the combination rolled pretty nicely.  I will put the Panaracer on front and back for my next gravel outing. Great tyres...not cheap though. Go for between R890 and R1000.

would recommend them as gravel specific tyres on a 29er MTB.

I’ve also just done something similar for some long days out on Cederberg roads on my rigid mtb (Surly Karate Monkey). Replaced my Maxxis Aspen 29x2.25 tyres with Panaracer GravelKing 700x50 front and back. I’m on a set of American Classic wheels with 24mm internal width. Time will tell if I miss the squish and grip of the Aspen!

BUT, it’s worth noting that I did a multi-day bikepacking trip on the Aspens and didn’t have too much trouble keeping up with guys on 700x42 tyres…until we hit tar.

So, do you “need” it? Probably not. But where’s the fun in that? 🤪

3 hours ago, figjam_sa said:

Well here's a continental race king for 11eur, put that on randelas! https://www.bike24.com/p2344580.html

It's not the one you want, but there's a range of variations under every name like you said. If you want a tyre quickly and aren't to fussy, then go to the lbs. You said you've been looking for these locally since the beginning of the year, maybe time to broaden the search location.

I've bought tyres from here and CRC in the past. Has been considerably cheaper, and still looks that way.

3 hours ago, SSCC said:

I really would not waste money on the Rene Herse Fleecer Ridges. I have a few thousand Km's on a pair and they are ok but not worth the price. Overall the Mezcal is a better tyre. Just as fast, better grip, last way longer and they are about half the price if you get them on sale.

Yeah, I'll try the Mezcal next, seeing as I've already bought the Fleecer Ridges. Hopefully they last long enough to justify the price..

1 hour ago, V18 said:

Continental race king II in 2.2. Fastest mtb tyre I've ever ridden. Fair grip. 

Does it Last ?

14 hours ago, figjam_sa said:

Good to know, thanks

Just looking for a fast tire that can be used on those Gravel days. Something like the Continental seems to fit the bill. Wanted to get some Aspens when they were on sale, but I understand the Continental Race Kings could be even better for this application. 

don't google "nino schurter cape epic 2022 maxxis"!!!

@dasilvarsa They do. Better on gravel than tarmac. I rode the protection version for a year. Tarmac and glass cuts eventually killed it.

On a side note. Whilst Maxxis rubber is grippy and feels great on trials... It doesn't appreciate being on a commuter. The rekon race I put on the back of my commuter HT is about 30 rides old and close to being replaced.