Dropper Post

JJDT

So I'm fairly new in this tech to diagnose possible issues so I need help from the community.

My wife's e-bike do have a dropper post and yesterday afternoon we decided to go for a quick ride and what she usually do is drop the post start riding and then let the post up again. So yesterday after the ride when we stopped she told me that the post will not go down all the way and it does not return when the she engages the lever, but with some help it returns to the up position. I thought it was just sticky and quickly searched on the net for a possible solution.

The solution was if you are on the trail just use some chain lube or silicone spray, but if you are at home/workshop you need to loosen the cap clean around the post and re-grease with suspension grease.

I unscrewed the cap and saw that it was clean with no dirt and screwed the cap on again. I then noticed oil beneath the bike, about 50ml is my guess.

Questions:

I searched again for the working of this mechanism and noted it uses the same oil as the front and rear suspensions, is the post also subjected to a certain period of maintenance?

The most important question how do I fix this issue (will most likely take it to the LBS)?

Maybe check the cable tension at the lever to make sure its pulling properly. 
Sometimes they get loose. 
Turn the barrel adjust a couple rotations. 

What make of post? What's the service history? Has the saddle been adjusted recently?

Chain lube or silicone spray are not solutions, neither is grease under the topcap. It either needs service or adjustment, both of which are easy enough if you're mechanically inclined - if not, LBS.

20 minutes ago, Jaytriathlon said:

Maybe check the cable tension at the lever to make sure its pulling properly. 
Sometimes they get loose. 
Turn the barrel adjust a couple rotations. 

Thanks for your input, but my concern is the oil that was found. If the cable tension was not correct it would've started noticeably during rides that it is problem?

34 minutes ago, JJDT said:

Thanks for your input, but my concern is the oil that was found. If the cable tension was not correct it would've started noticeably during rides that it is problem?

Correct - cable tension can change on a ride. Mine actually increased in tension which would activate the release lever ever so slightly and would cause the seat post to sag gently over a 500m distance. 

By the sounds of it, your cable sleeve it dirty which is fouling up the needed travel, or the sleeve has gone south (which makes the cable length longer) which then prevents the lever from going the full travel. 

I'd change the sleeve and cable to start with, give the dropper post and top cap a good clean as Droo suggests, or take it to your LBS so that can do it

Recently had the same issue with the dropper (Syncros) on my wife's Scott. Noticed a puddle of oil on the floor under the bottom bracket and the post was stuck in the up position. Turned out a small piece (not sure what it's called) on the cartridge in the dropper had broken off resulting in all the oil dumping out. Since it was a sealed unit the whole cartridge had to be replaced. LBS sorted it out with no issues.

3 minutes ago, droo said:

What make of post? What's the service history? Has the saddle been adjusted recently?

Chain lube or silicone spray are not solutions, neither is grease under the topcap. It either needs service or adjustment, both of which are easy enough if you're mechanically inclined - if not, LBS.

The seat post is a Merida Comp TR. No adjustments were made by us, and thanks for the confirmation about grease, lube and spray.

I must add that last year after a year of ownership the bike was booked with Cycle Lab for a major service stating that both the suspensions needs to looked at and assumed that the dropper post will also be looked at.

The mechanic contacted my wife stating that a major service was not needed and the both the suspensions looked fine. At found it strange at the time but left it there seeing that they know what to look for. I have made it my mission to aquire much knowledge as possible over the past year of what is true and what is not true.

It seems now that the post is dire need of a proper service and adjustment.

4 hours ago, JJDT said:

The seat post is a Merida Comp TR. No adjustments were made by us, and thanks for the confirmation about grease, lube and spray.

I must add that last year after a year of ownership the bike was booked with Cycle Lab for a major service stating that both the suspensions needs to looked at and assumed that the dropper post will also be looked at.

The mechanic contacted my wife stating that a major service was not needed and the both the suspensions looked fine. At found it strange at the time but left it there seeing that they know what to look for. I have made it my mission to aquire much knowledge as possible over the past year of what is true and what is not true.

It seems now that the post is dire need of a proper service and adjustment.

Go to a real bike shop. 

2 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Go to a real bike shop. 

The only reason I took it to Cyclelab is because there are no shops in our area that do know e-bikes. The only place that have some knowledge of e-bikes is West Rand Cycles, but they only know Specialized E-Bikes.

Back on topic tried to adjust the cable but the more I fiddle the more oil is seeping out. I also tried to remove the entire seat post but it seems to be stuck with the cable. To replace the cable it seems that you need to remove the entire motor as the housing is running between the motor and the frame to the bottom of the seat tube.

Searched for maintenance on these posts I found a manual and there is no mention of oil in this post, now even more confused about the source of the oil.

Sounds like your cartridge has popped. Service and new cartridge and you're good to go, hopefully someone will be along with a recommendation for a decent mechanic in your area. I don't know the Woesrand well at all.

34 minutes ago, JJDT said:

The only reason I took it to Cyclelab is because there are no shops in our area that do know e-bikes. The only place that have some knowledge of e-bikes is West Rand Cycles, but they only know Specialized E-Bikes.

Back on topic tried to adjust the cable but the more I fiddle the more oil is seeping out. I also tried to remove the entire seat post but it seems to be stuck with the cable. To replace the cable it seems that you need to remove the entire motor as the housing is running between the motor and the frame to the bottom of the seat tube.

Searched for maintenance on these posts I found a manual and there is no mention of oil in this post, now even more confused about the source of the oil.

If your E bike uses the same motor and battery system as a spez E bike, why not take it to west rand cycles?

Also most shops know E bikes. They really are no different when it comes to non E bike specific jobs. For example, servicing suspension, setting gears, bleeding brakes etc. is exactly the same.

Also servicing suspension is something you can do at home if you have some mechanical inclination (pretty much every other bike related service can be done at home if you have the tools and knowledge)

It sounds like you are quite confused, so rather watch a video if you are comfortable to keep on trying, or better yet, take it to a bikeshop before you damage something.

If you have oil leaking out of a dropper post, then the cartridge needs servicing or replacing - end of discussion.

I would only deal with people who have experience with suspension and dropper posts - there are a few on the hub or call RBC (Robbies Bicycle concept) in PE

From what i see on the net the merida cartridge is not a serviceable item and would probably need replacing

Here is a video to give you some insight to what you are dealing with

Either Replace the Cartridge or if She does not need a dropper.

Put in a standard Seat Post. (That's What I did on my Merida 120)