Vest, Pack or Hip Bag

michaelbiker

…and I will end off with this; WHEREVER POSSIBLE, let the Donkey (bicycle) carry the weight…..

Posted before, and copied here:

”In 2006, during the second of 3 Cape Epics, my riding partner and I stopped to help two Spanish pro’s with our chain-breaker, since they were riding without one…

whilst chatting, we innocently asked them WHERE theirCamelbacks were, since the were ‘direguer’ at the time…

…they in turn asked us…”why are you wearing them?”…

QUICKLY followed with, in their poor English: Let the DONKEY (read: bicycle) carry the load, not the rider…

they went on to site low C.O.G., a cool back, no temptation to ‘fill space around the bladder’, and better movement on the bike…,

well, for that Epic and again in 2007, we never used a Camelback again, nor have since!
LET THE DONKEY CARRY THE WATER !!!
Chris

As someone who uses all three options you mentioned, I’ll take my trail running vest. I like my hip pack, but for really long ride I take a backpack. And I haven’t touched my backpack ever since I started riding with my trail running vest. So much more comfortable. 
For your scenario I’ll load the bike with as much water as possible, and then add soft flasks or a bladder in the bag to make up the rest. 

The only issue with the trail running vest is that it is not as robust as a Camelbak,  there is nothing worse than stressing about water when you are dehydrating, go with a decent size bladder and as little other space as you can so you do not fill it.

I have a love-hate relationship with my Camelbak, but there is a lot to be said for being able to sip on long descents and climbs when you would not normally be able to drink.

Also freezing a half-full bladder and then topping it up with water in the morning results in decadent ice water far into the day 😉 

2 hours ago, Milosh said:

The only issue with the trail running vest is that it is not as robust as a Camelbak,  there is nothing worse than stressing about water when you are dehydrating, go with a decent size bladder and as little other space as you can so you do not fill it.

I have a love-hate relationship with my Camelbak, but there is a lot to be said for being able to sip on long descents and climbs when you would not normally be able to drink.

Also freezing a half-full bladder and then topping it up with water in the morning results in decadent ice water far into the day 😉 

You should  look at the Camelbak Chase bike vest. MTB robustness with trail running stability. Or the USWE backpacks. 👌

Edited by PhilipV

Thanks everyone who commented. Ended up pulling the trigger on an Uswe hydro pack which was on a 40% off sale. Will see how it goes.

I had a look at frame bags but having something bouncing around in front of me on a rough singletrack wouldn’t work. Also taping something to the frame seemed a little too much of a bodge and might end up being a headache if it fails. 

I really like my Camelbak Repack (hip pack) has a 1.5litre bladder, and nice pockets to hold some far/fast bars and I keep some mushroom plugs and tyre levers in it, in my opinion, it is very comfortable, and I know that I will always have enough water with me

Go with the USWE or the Apidura vest. The USWE vests are super-minimal, but very light and comfy and allows access to jersey pockets. With a 1.5L bladder you don't even know it's there, and, along with 2 bottles, you have 3L of water which is plenty for what you're trying to do. I haven't used the Apidura vest, but a friend of mine swears by it.

Edited by Cardio Goth

2 hours ago, michaelbiker said:

Thanks everyone who commented. Ended up pulling the trigger on an Uswe hydro pack which was on a 40% off sale. Will see how it goes.

I had a look at frame bags but having something bouncing around in front of me on a rough singletrack wouldn’t work. Also taping something to the frame seemed a little too much of a bodge and might end up being a headache if it fails. 

Good choice!

Don't forget to post some pics from your ride

3 hours ago, michaelbiker said:

ENJOY !

I DO agree with @Zebra ... as as possible on the bike.  But when the frame limits you, these backpacks are the next best option.

I am now so used to the hydration drink in the frame and the water in the backpack.... short trail rides I only take water in the bottle (frame), and find myself looking for the sip-tube ...