Wahoo, am i being unreasonable?

Leith

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All our cycling tech is wahoo, their service has been nothing but amazing with the claims had over the years. Sent our Kickr to Specialized Tygerberg when had minor issues and needed service.

11 hours ago, Leith said:

It is exactly the fact that this is not a hugely complex piece of machinery, so maintenance and basic repairs should be readily and easily available - and i am sure that a belt and bearing would be found locally.

My real grip is the response from Wahoo - they dont even carry the belt in spares. I would have no problem if they said go to Midas and get belt XYZ1234 and here is a link to a video on how to replace it.
But no they say, you dont fix it, you buy a new one at pretty much the going price of R20k

https://wahoofitness.co.za/product/wahoo-kickr-belt-power-grip/

it is there and in stock supposedly.

Must also say i have had great service from Wahoo. I have a bolt and kickr. a bit more than a year ago my kickr stopped reading power. Messaged Wahoo who requested a send them details of my issue. 2 days later with no reply i received a new wahoo at my doorstep. 

21 minutes ago, Bira said:

Must also say i have had great service from Wahoo. I have a bolt and kickr. a bit more than a year ago my kickr stopped reading power. Messaged Wahoo who requested a send them details of my issue. 2 days later with no reply i received a new wahoo at my doorstep. 

Nice! how old was the kickr?

On 6/30/2023 at 3:11 PM, Leith said:

2. No spares at all - it is a belt drive.....do you throw away when the belt wears out?

Is it the belt listed here?

Wahoo.jpg

Hi Pieter

My excuse is limited time, so I don't do my own repairs, so was looking for someone to service/fix for me.

But Sean, from iKhambi said they don't even carry spare belts for the V2 Kickr!

I must say that is a  insane price for a simple belt. If I go that route I will go to a fan belt supplier and see if I can get an equivalent belt - it has a code on the belt and isn't a Wahoo manufactured belt

4 hours ago, Pieter-za said:

Is it the belt listed here?

Wahoo.jpg

I wonder if there is a generic equivalent - it may be a standard belt? When a car V Belt costs R500 for a long, German made item, this looks like blatant price gouging by wahoo. 

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

I wonder if there is a generic equivalent - it may be a standard belt? When a car V Belt costs R500 for a long, German made item, this looks like blatant price gouging by wahoo. 

Not sure if you Clicked on the RS Components link, the belt is like R247, R258 at BMG.

Had the same issue with a kicker 4, bought second hand. Emailed them when it made a noise and was told because it’s second hand they can’t do anything about it. Asked if I could buy the kit the CEO mentioned to DC Rainmaker when he acknowledged the K4 has design flaws and was told it’s not available. Managed to find the dimensions of the parts and sourced them independently.

Then had an issue with a Wahoo Climb - the “cam belt” snapped. Was replaced under warranty, but told they can’t be repaired at all so have to be thrown away.

I had made a complete transition to a Wahoo ecosystem from Tacx and look forward to going back. Had an 8 year old Tacx was repairable within a week  with no issues.

23 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Not sure if you Clicked on the RS Components link, the belt is like R247, R258 at BMG.

Missed your post. Daylight robbery from Wahoo - the ugly side of capitalism.

I think when the time comes, it's something I would try doing myself. If you do have a Kickr that does require a service, feel free to contact me and I will give it a go. Please note, if the unit is faulty, I can only make it worse OR get it right 🤣 

9 minutes ago, Edereese said:

I think when the time comes, it's something I would try doing myself. If you do have a Kickr that does require a service, feel free to contact me and I will give it a go. Please note, if the unit is faulty, I can only make it worse OR get it right 🤣 

Crash course on Youtube completed.