[Event] Velddrif 222 Velddrif

City Cycling  Athletic Club

13 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm thinking of doing it again.... It's flat and rolling. You will be fine.

I will definitely take food and drink this time. I bonked harder than Borris Becker in a closet last year after running out of food/fuel at about 120km

yeah but how much better did that garage pies taste afterwards, I guess anything will go down a treat after a proper bonk

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, milky4130 said:

yeah but how much better did that garage pies taste afterwards, I guess anything will go down a treat after a proper bonk

You, Waldo and I bought ALL the food from the Velddrif petrol station!

17 hours ago, City Cycling Athletic Club said:

We don't have the manpower to have a separate 'side of the road' feeding zone where riders are fed by 'back up' as well as a dedicated waterpoint where participants can stop and refuel. to have both in the same location will be chaos

Thanks for the consideration.

1. I'm unsure why you would need manpower. By definition road side support from back-up is providing their own manpower.

2. Regarding chaos - I'd say look at the tour with it's 22 teams and 176 riders doing bottles from soigneurs at dozens of locations on every stage, but let's stick closer to home. There were no issues allowing feeding at Western Cape provincial champs.

3. Banning feeding from cars for equality of racing is a good idea. Implied in that idea is that fair racing is important, so feeding of some sort needs to be possible. It would be terribly disappointing if the organisers do not learn from the first edition of this race and puts unenforceable rules in place that guarantees an unfair outcome.

21 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Will this feed zone be off-route?
Has a decision been made about mobile supported feeding from road side helpers vs having to stop, and if this will have to also be off-route?

Last year the rules were very restrictive but then not enforced when broken by half the bunch to the detriment off the rule abiders...

it will on the route 

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I have entered. I'm sure I will be seeded in the snail group off at 2am or whatever, so see some of you briefly when you come zooming past me

Nobody here will fall for this so called plonker act of yours mr. Some People here know, and have witnessed you smashing the CTCT on a bmx around 4 hours🤣

wish i was fitter, bit honeslty cant see how i’ll make it past 160 without anal bleeding.

Edited by MORNE

17 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Nobody here will fall for this so called plonker act of yours mr. Some People here know, and have witnessed you smashing the CTCT on a bmx around 4 hours🤣

wish i was fitter, bit honeslty cant see how i’ll make it past 160 without anal bleeding.

Anal bleeding from bike riding is rad!

Some people did it on Mountain bikes with full on pannier bags and stuff last year. It took them until after dark!

Very nice ride, I did this last year. Sadly, it is on the same weekend as a couple of other rides and while I am in the area it is for the Aurora Om Die Berg ride that is on the 26th. Will be cheering you guys on when we head back home from Dwarskersbos.

I think I was the first mountain bike to finish last year, set the bar low at 9h15.

I did this event last year and failed to finish it.  In my defence, last year I only had 4 months of cycling experience under my belt, now I have close to 18 months and a lot more fitness behind me.

I do have a few questions:

1. Last year, I started in the first batch (super slow group), I remember it was FREEZING.  Do we know when and how the new groups will be selected?  (Racetek results etc?)

2. Those of you from Cape Town, are you planning to sleep over the Saturday, or are you just going to hit the road early on a Sunday morning?  (I guess it depends on your start time too?)

3. I read a lot about the fuelling stations etc.  Last year, I was fortunate enough to have a support vehicle (after all, it was my first race ever) so everybody was excited.  This year, the family is just like, "Oh, not another race, you go have fun, don't crash, phone me when you are done... we are going shopping".  Do I need to bribe another group who is fortunate enough to have a backup vehicle to perhaps chuck in a bottle or two extra for me or will there be enough drinks/water at the stops?

4. Mamil, I watched the youtube video again you made last year.  Brought back so many memories.  The one thing that I've noticed was just how much "alone" time there is on that road.  Do we know more or less how many cyclists entered for this year?

Edited by Denis Dell

4 hours ago, Denis Dell said:

I did this event last year and failed to finish it.  In my defence, last year I only had 4 months of cycling experience under my belt, now I have close to 18 months and a lot more fitness behind me.

1. Last year, I started in the first batch (super slow group), I remember it was FREEZING.  Do we know when and how the new groups will be selected?  (Racetek results etc?)

2. Those of you from Cape Town, are you planning to sleep over the Saturday, or are you just going to hit the road early on a Sunday morning?  (I guess it depends on your start time too?)

3. I read a lot about the fuelling stations etc.  Last year, I was fortunate enough to have a support vehicle (after all, it was my first race ever) so everybody was excited.  This year, the family is just like, "Oh, not another race, you go have fun, don't crash, phone me when you are done... we are going shopping".  Do I need to bribe another group who is fortunate enough to have a backup vehicle to perhaps chuck in a bottle or two extra for me or will there be enough drinks/water at the stops?

4. Mamil, I watched the youtube video again you made last year.  Brought back so many memories.  The one thing that I've noticed was just how much "alone" time there is on that road.  Do we know more or less how many cyclists entered for this year?

I had a a lot of alone time ... Careful or I'll start bending everyone's ear about how I was off the front of my group for the first time ever when ... Blah blah sob story, long solo ride with lots of time to think....

On 8/14/2023 at 2:40 PM, Denis Dell said:

1.last year - we went according to Racetec results , we were thrown out by there being a dearth of up to date results / events due to Covid - i am also familiar with a lot of the names from WP Road League so if there were riders who competed in the league we went along with those as well. Another curve ball are those entrants that only have Mtb results , their average speed is difficult to assimilate to a RR.

2. it's entirely up to you

3.We were let down las year wrt water points - there will be three WPoints for those who do not have back up. there will also be a separate 'feeding zone' for those who want to take on refreshments without stopping.

4.to date , we are ahead of where we were last year.

Edited by City Cycling Athletic Club

1 hour ago, City Cycling Athletic Club said:

there will also be a separate 'feeding zone' for those who want to take on refreshments without stopping.

Can we have full clarity on feeding rules please.

Last year feeds from cars and moving feeds from road side was not allowed. Seems road side moving feeds are back, but only in one location on route? What about car feeds?

More importantly, when does seeding come out so I can complain about it, what will the weather be doing and most importantly, will action Action Photo SA be there so I can decline buying the pictures?!

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

More importantly, when does seeding come out so I can complain about it, what will the weather be doing and most importantly, will action Action Photo SA be there so I can decline buying the pictures?!

It's the Weskus... Plan on there being wind. If it's a northerly, it'll probably blow the whole day, so plan on a later arrival in Elands, but tailwind from there. If it's a S/SE-er, plan on it appearing later on - perfect for a headwind on the trundle back to Velddrif. Easterlies and westerlies only crop up later afternoon, so shouldn't bother you

I will take your photo, but only if you smile nicely