[Event] PPA One Tonner

Pedal Power Association

5 minutes ago, Jbr said:

yeaaaah, to be honest, when road racing you shouldn't even need a starting mat / timing, because a road race isn't a time trial, it's the first guy on the line, so weather you start 1st wheel or 100th at the back of the peleton, your start time should be exactly the same.

But this only works if every group starts together, the minute parking causes delays and people are sent on a rolling start, everything falls appart.

That is a very good point re: the group start time, regardless of whether you are at the front or back of the group (assuming the event is properly organized and you can start together).ย ๐Ÿ˜…

I guess for the majority of us, individual time is all that really matters, as I am certainly not worried about what position I finish.ย ๐Ÿ˜‚ย And thus, it would be great if a timed event, you got an accurate time (without having to rely on your own GPS ๐Ÿ™‚).

I asked about running vs cycling and got this response:

Running and cycling events are timed differently. Running events are timed from Mat(start) toMat(finish). Cycling events are timed from Start Group to Finish. Time trials are timed from mat to mat .

RaceTec does/used to do mat to mat, so I don't think it's "sport" specific, but rather technology/implementation differences.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

that decide to join the race between the start and the first timing mat on course ?

you're right, maybe it's one of the reasons there's a timing mat at the start almost every race, probably not to set your start time (I hope not, pretty sure actually as most of the race time is correct at least in the elite batch). Then you can use this "check in" time to get the race time for all the other batches or in the event of a rolling start

11 minutes ago, mikkelz said:

RaceTec does/used to do mat to mat, so I don't think it's "sport" specific, but rather technology/implementation differences.

They did mat to mat during covid as they didn't want big bunches, but that's against how a road race goes, a road race is not a time trial, and the winner is the 1st over the finish line, not the guy with the shortest time between the start line and the finish line.

So many races start with a neutral section anyways, you have to set a start time that is the same for everyone (in the racing groups)

ย 

To be honest, even during covid, I doubt they ever actually did that for the racing batches. I never really noticed a penalty for starting first or last in the bunch

Edited by Jbr

4 minutes ago, Jbr said:

you're right, maybe it's one of the reasons there's a timing mat at the start almost every race, probably not to set your start time (I hope not, pretty sure actually as most of the race time is correct at least in the elite batch). Then you can use this "check in" time to get the race time for all the other batches or in the event of a rolling start

certain big races mix it up. First x amount of batches are gun to mat, there after they revert to mat to mat.

23 hours ago, Jbr said:

They did mat to mat during covid as they didn't want big bunches, but that's against how a road race goes, a road race is not a time trial, and the winner is the 1st over the finish line, not the guy with the shortest time between the start line and the finish line.

So many races start with a neutral section anyways, you have to set a start time that is the same for everyone (in the racing groups)

ย 

To be honest, even during covid, I doubt they ever actually did that for the racing batches. I never really noticed a penalty for starting first or last in the bunch

There are always timing mats at the start of the race but for a road race they dont use this. As you said its group start time to finish but the mat is still there. I assume the purpose of the start timing mat is more for verification purposes that everyone did indeed start from the correct spot and not jumped in afterwards like someone mentioned.

By the way, at the Durbie Dash loads of people got disqualified for jumping the line and starting earlier. So clearly there is a start mat that records your start time.ย 

ย 

Not sure what exactly happened at the One Tonner.

31 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

By the way, at the Durbie Dash loads of people got disqualified for jumping the line and starting earlier. So clearly there is a start mat that records your start time.ย 

ย 

Not sure what exactly happened at the One Tonner.

Not relevant to the point you are making but it seems most if not all of the people disqualified in the Durbie Dash were reinstated.

Not sure why the mat to mat thing is causing complications for Finishtime. Surely the starting time is fixed, (the first mat just confirm that you started). you record the finish time and the difference between that & the official start time is your racing time?

I see seedings have been updated on PPA's website (not on the Racetec site)

Proper Beta this year 1.66. Thats my Cycle Tour seeding sortedย ๐Ÿ‘

ย 

10 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

ย 

Yikes, maybe I should've taken it a little easier on Sunday.ย ๐Ÿ˜…ย And that's with the ~10 minute late start on my actual time.

Best seeding ever!

Edited by mikkelz

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Not relevant to the point you are making but it seems most if not all of the people disqualified in the Durbie Dash were reinstated.

Thatโ€™s a bit disappointing.ย 

39 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

ย 

What is the difference between the 2? ย 

ย 

Do they not use mtb events for seeding any more? The Old Hermon gravel ride was supposed to be seeded event for the Argus, but that event has not even been used for seeding. Same with the PPA Mtb Challenge. Itโ€™s not even listed on Racetec as an event I completed. This whole FinishTime /Racetec merger has just messed everything up now.

6 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

What is the difference between the 2? ย 

ย 

Do they not use mtb events for seeding any more? The Old Hermon gravel ride was supposed to be seeded event for the Argus, but that event has not even been used for seeding. Same with the PPA Mtb Challenge. Itโ€™s not even listed on Racetec as an event I completed. This whole FinishTime /Racetec merger has just messed everything up now.

Don't think there is really a difference between Racetec and PPA sites with regards to seeding, they just happened to update the one and not the other.

I hope the PPA MTB challenge and Old Hermon get updated before the CTCT, assume it is a manual process. Maybe send them a strongly worded email as extra motivation to get it done....

mmmmh, Old hermon was supposed to be a seeding event and is not counted, I see Durbie dash MTB is in there though... My best Index comes from tour du cap stage 4 where my result was average, so I wouldn't trust it yet

21 minutes ago, Jbr said:

mmmmh, Old hermon was supposed to be a seeding event and is not counted, I see Durbie dash MTB is in there though... My best Index comes from tour du cap stage 4 where my result was average, so I wouldn't trust it yet

must be nice...