Tienie Maree to Ride the Munga Again for the Cape of Good Hope SPCA

News bot

In 2022, Tienie Maree embarked on a remarkable journey, one that would test not only his physical endurance but also his determination to make a difference in the lives of animals. He made a significant decision to purchase an entry for the gruelling Munga MTB race, fully aware that this challenge would be among the most demanding experiences of his life. However, Tienie had a purpose beyond personal achievement; he wanted his efforts to count for something more. Tienie drew inspiration from his faithful animal companions, who had been his solace during a difficult period in his life. Motivated by […]

View full article

1 hour ago, News bot said:

In 2022, Tienie Maree embarked on a remarkable journey, one that would test not only his physical endurance but also his determination to make a difference in the lives of animals. He made a significant decision to purchase an entry for the gruelling Munga MTB race, fully aware that this challenge would be among the most demanding experiences of his life. However, Tienie had a purpose beyond personal achievement; he wanted his efforts to count for something more. Tienie drew inspiration from his faithful animal companions, who had been his solace during a difficult period in his life. Motivated by […]

View full article

Thank you for sharing our story admins! I look forward to another exciting event and hopefully I can shave off a couple of hours by coming in on Sunday so that friends and family can share the experience. 

well I hope they gave him a complimentary entry then. I have a huge bias against people doing "charity races" when the numbers often don't add up to anything significant but raising awareness for the race itself in the end. This is more a rant to the practice in general, @gemmerbal if you really want to go chase the heat shimmers across the karoo in december again then all strength to you!

43 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

well I hope they gave him a complimentary entry then. I have a huge bias against people doing "charity races" when the numbers often don't add up to anything significant but raising awareness for the race itself in the end. This is more a rant to the practice in general, @gemmerbal if you really want to go chase the heat shimmers across the karoo in december again then all strength to you!

I am happy to say that every penny raised for the SPCA goes towards them and them alone. I stated from the off that I didn’t want to reduce the success of my campaign by having the SPCA cover any of my costs. That was the case last year and it is the same for this year. Last year I entered out of my own pocket and only after having entered did I approach the SPCA to ask if we could collaborate, so in other words I was going to do the Munga last year anyways but I thought maybe I could do some good for a change by riding for a good cause.

My dogs are literally my life as I am a divorcee of 10 yrs and having them around through that time as well as my father’s passing and being retrenched several times really kept me sane and motivated to keep on trucking. I did try drinking but that didn’t work out, fortunately.

That kind of seemed to be in line with what it must be like to do a 1000km bike ride and that was/is still my motivation for going at it again. Just keep on trucking. 

Lastly, I am happy to report that this year I approached the race directors for a special entry and I am blessed in that they have granted me with one. So that still means that every penny raised goes towards the SPCA and I am still covering all of my own costs: kit, travel, the works. 

I hope that gives some background to your valid comments Shebeen my old mate. 

PS: the cricket chat between us has died down completely… (understandably, let’s not go there…😉)

Edited by gemmerbal

I forgot to add that we managed to raise just over R51000 last year. The tech wizzes at the SPCA informed me that on top of the actual funds raised, my campaign raised over R260000 through the media exposure. I’m too dumb to understand how that works but that’s what I was told by their marketing gurus. 

Keep on trucking

I hooked you up a follow on insta. Looking forward to the updates and race report. (hopefully the report doesnt take so long this time :)

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Keep on trucking

I hooked you up a follow on insta. Looking forward to the updates and race report. (hopefully the report doesnt take so long this time :)

Jaaaaa…. I know the race report has been on my to do list since forever, work and things got in the way but i will wrap the old one up at some point, the draft essay is there. Sorry okes!

thanks for the follow on insta, i only joined insta because that seems to be where the action is in the world of endurance cycling events like Silk Road, AMR and so on. So all i post on insta is things related to my cycling endeavours, no twerking twak 😛

14 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

I am happy to say that every penny raised for the SPCA goes towards them and them alone. I stated from the off that I didn’t want to reduce the success of my campaign by having the SPCA cover any of my costs. That was the case last year and it is the same for this year. Last year I entered out of my own pocket and only after having entered did I approach the SPCA to ask if we could collaborate, so in other words I was going to do the Munga last year anyways but I thought maybe I could do some good for a change by riding for a good cause.

My dogs are literally my life as I am a divorcee of 10 yrs and having them around through that time as well as my father’s passing and being retrenched several times really kept me sane and motivated to keep on trucking. I did try drinking but that didn’t work out, fortunately.

That kind of seemed to be in line with what it must be like to do a 1000km bike ride and that was/is still my motivation for going at it again. Just keep on trucking. 

Lastly, I am happy to report that this year I approached the race directors for a special entry and I am blessed in that they have granted me with one. So that still means that every penny raised goes towards the SPCA and I am still covering all of my own costs: kit, travel, the works. 

I hope that gives some background to your valid comments Shebeen my old mate. 

PS: the cricket chat between us has died down completely… (understandably, let’s not go there…😉)

That is awesome on both sides.

I know it happens that people do events for "charity" and then they pay the entry fees out of what is raised. That's not ayoba in my mind.

pps. ja, blerrie hell, it is very hard to get excited about SA cricket currently, you called it.