Which brand do you use as a chamois cream and does it actually have a decent smell?

Razor1972

7 minutes ago, Razor1972 said:

So which Assos bib do you use? I see there's prices range from R3k to R6k 😳

I’ve used 2 so far.

Campionissimo. This is an older model which is now discontinued. By far the best bib I have ever worn. This one retailed for like 7k. I picked it up at 50% off when they were clearing stock. This one has 2 independent chamois working together. It’s pretty sick.

I also have the Mille GT. This one is the entry level one and is more than sufficient for most people. Also get no discomfort at all. My only small gripe with the Mille is the leg grippers tend to shift up. I think it’s because the cut is supposed to be more relaxed and not suited to my body shape. So I think next time I would rather go for the Equipe range as its more fitting. It is a minor issue though and doesn’t really affect the chamois/bum area at all.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also just wrt to Assos pricing. I see them on sale regularly either on Onedayonly, Cyclelab, Solomons. So just be patient and wait for the sale. You should be able to get a Mille for 2.5k sometimes even less.

7 minutes ago, Nancy Drew said:

Milking cream. Technically for cows but works like magic as bum cream. IMG_20230921_164557.jpg.657798ac5e00db6366910c0b30681fb1.jpg

I never considered using this as a bum cream but will give it a try. We use it in 3 phase cross country evening for the horses legs. Can pickup a 5L bucket for around 350 bux at most feed/co op / equestrian shops

1 minute ago, Barry said:

I never considered using this as a bum cream but will give it a try. We use it in 3 phase cross country evening for the horses legs. Can pickup a 5L bucket for around 350 bux at most feed/co op / equestrian shops

Horse legs... who would've thought?

It works well for breastfeeding moms too 😄

1 minute ago, Nancy Drew said:

Horse legs... who would've thought?

It works well for breastfeeding moms too 😄

Yea makes them slippery when jumping fast and flat clipping a log or brush. Hopefully preventing a cut or injury. 

18 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Well thankfully I’m not crazy enough to attempt over 200km on a mtb. My limit is 100 miles. That’s it. Not a smidge more thank you very much.

what makes longer rides worse(and even worse if you are an adventure racer) is that you usually end up carrying more, which leads to heavier packs and more weight into the saddle...

On 9/20/2023 at 2:10 PM, Razor1972 said:

I have only ever used Ass Magic, but hate the smell... and no it's not my ass that smells like that. Do any brand actually have a bearable smell?

The scent/smell is from the Tea Tree oil which has great anti bacterial properties, noted on your preference, it is however something that we generally receive good feedback on. Perhaps we can look at another version of this in the future.

On 9/20/2023 at 2:27 PM, El Duderino said:

I use Arse Magic (can't bring myself to say Ass Magic because of the donkey connotations) and it does not have an unpleasant smell pre-ride.

c'mon we all like ASS!

On 9/20/2023 at 2:46 PM, Razor1972 said:

Really? You use Vaseline? Didn't know that would work

vaseline would have good anti chafe properties, longer term use may not be good for your chamois.

On 9/20/2023 at 5:29 PM, splat said:

I've never smelt Ass Magic, so cant compare.
(I also don't like the idea of double dipping in a tub)

R120 @ Dischem and Sportsman's Warehouse

Thanks for the feedback - a tube is on our radar for the future. We do also have the Travel Packs which come with 10 snap sachets

On 9/20/2023 at 5:43 PM, cadenceblur said:

while on this topic, can anyone recommend a product similar to the Assos Skin Repair gel by chance?

This stuff is really brilliant, but oh so pricey at close to R500 a tube!

https://www.cyclelab.com/product/4011673-suncare-assos-skin-repair-gel-75ml

Hi Cadenceblur, we have recently developed a Skin Repair cream, it is a cream like consistency rather than a gel and can be used on any chafed or irratated skin, sun burn, blisters - preferably not on open wounds, let them close first and then can be applied.

More info here: https://assmagic.co.za/products/ass-magic-skin-repair-cream

spacer.png

Couple posts/questions on Speen salf/milking cream and baby bum cream. Definitely some pro's and cons to the each of them.

When we developed ASS MAGIC, we used what we thought were the best elements of each product and combined them into ours along with a couple of other key ingredients.

Speen salf/milking cream - typically this would use Lanolin which is the oil/wax that is derived from sheep's wool. It has fantastic anti chafe properties and if used at the right concentration, will last long enough, but still be able to wash easily out of your chamois at less than 40 degrees centigrade - typically you don't want to wash technical apparel at too high temperature

Baby bum cream - such as a Bennets for example has Zinc Oxide in it, this is what gives it the white colour and almost 'pastey' texture. This can help form a protective film over the skin whilst still allowing the skin to 'breath' and also has good healing properties.