GCN+ Closing

WIPEOUT 1000

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, michaelbiker said:

I don't think the location of the card matters, it's the address attached to it. Also on a UK account the price is a lot higher because you have to subscribe to the month-to-month option but "beggars can't be choosers".

<snip>

The first 6 digits of your card contain country information. Eurosport used to check that against the P address location and say 'yay or nay' if there was a match or not. That changed to jsut use the card/country of issue detail, and so for SA cards, it's been a 'nay since'

Similarly, Paypal is funded by a card, and that has a country of issue, and that's also checked. I tried Shyft, and that failed too.

Seems the Apple route is using a credit balance of a UK Itunes account (is that still a thing?) to pay the D+ subscription. That may apply to a Google Play/pay-type thing as well. 

Either that or get a mate in the UK to subscribe on my behalf. We all have one of those...

The upside of D+, is that it comes wth other sports too, notably the Olympics later this year, and Le Mans. I'll wait until MVDP starts racing... anything else is meaningless

15 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Ahh typical Apple...🤪Received my Android refund In January already. Sorry - one cannot miss and opportunity for a stab at Apple..🤣

It could be that they only process it at the anniversary date? Who knows. 😂😂😂

4 minutes ago, peepeekaitjie said:

Wow, look at Mr Bezos over here showing off his new-found wealth

Febuworry was a long month.

47 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

The first 6 digits of your card contain country information. Eurosport used to check that against the P address location and say 'yay or nay' if there was a match or not. That changed to jsut use the card/country of issue detail, and so for SA cards, it's been a 'nay since'

Similarly, Paypal is funded by a card, and that has a country of issue, and that's also checked. I tried Shyft, and that failed too.

Seems the Apple route is using a credit balance of a UK Itunes account (is that still a thing?) to pay the D+ subscription. That may apply to a Google Play/pay-type thing as well. 

Either that or get a mate in the UK to subscribe on my behalf. We all have one of those...

The upside of D+, is that it comes wth other sports too, notably the Olympics later this year, and Le Mans. I'll wait until MVDP starts racing... anything else is meaningless

Hmmm...giving me an idea here. If I use VPN (to UK) and open an Android/Google UK account - can one transfer a credit into that account and pay for a subscription via the credit balance (i.e. it is not charging your card,  but using the credit balance). Perhaps need to give that a bash. But can you transfer rands into a UK Google account? Can you even have a credit balance or is card payment the only allowed option. Sorry just my mind churning.  

20 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Hmmm...giving me an idea here. If I use VPN (to UK) and open an Android/Google UK account - can one transfer a credit into that account and pay for a subscription via the credit balance (i.e. it is not charging your card,  but using the credit balance). Perhaps need to give that a bash. But can you transfer rands into a UK Google account? Can you even have a credit balance or is card payment the only allowed option. Sorry just my mind churning.  

from their FAQ
"If you sign up for discovery+ at discoveryplus.com, you can pay for your subscription using any major credit card or PayPal. We currently do not accept prepaid credit cards.

If you sign up via the discovery+ app on a supported device, you can pay for your subscription using any payment method supported by your device."

Edited by lechatnoir
Edit - should have checked earlier - credit card or Paypal only. Or within an app, as above. Presumably with a valid credit card, not and SA one

1 minute ago, lechatnoir said:

from their FAQ
"If you sign up for discovery+ at discoveryplus.com, you can pay for your subscription using any major credit card or PayPal. We currently do not accept prepaid credit cards.

If you sign up via the discovery+ app on a supported device, you can pay for your subscription using any payment method supported by your device."

Tx - seems you will have to make your phone look like it's in the UK. VPN perhaps. 

1 minute ago, pedal menace said:

Tx - seems you will have to make your phone look like it's in the UK. VPN perhaps. 

i recall trying that with GCN+ on my phone with a VPN running, and it still said 'nope'. PC was fine though. Perhaps it's a phone thing?

48 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Not sure if Google is the same but on Apple when you add a credit card they ask for a billing address, which then becomes your country. There might be a way around this but I haven't figured it out yet. I have three accounts, US, SA and UK. SA is way cheaper for things like Spotify / Netflix etc. My UK account doesn't have a cc associated with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 4:34 PM, pedal menace said:

I think I got it! I see Eurosport 1 & 2 - Whoop whoop!!!!!! It is only SD (not sure if it streams in HD - I did select the HD channel) I assume this is where cycling will be shown? 

How's this working for you?

I went through the Kodi install process, got Eurosport running, but the feed constantly pauses as if buffering. It's basically unwatchable ☹️

Fibre line Speedtest on my phone while sitting next to the Android media box suggests I'm getting 50/50mbps over WiFi.

But running the speed test on Kodi under the Wizard menu shows only 14/18mbps. Ignoring the difference, according to the blurb on the Kodi Speedtest 10+ mbps should work perfectly.

Any ideas? @Frosty help please! MSR on Sunday!

IMG_20240315_125807047.jpg

Edited by NC_lurker
Added pic

51 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

How's this working for you?

I went through the Kodi install process, got Eurosport running, but the feed constantly pauses as if buffering. It's basically unwatchable ☹️

Fibre line Speedtest on my phone while sitting next to the Android media box suggests I'm getting 50/50mbps over WiFi.

But running the speed test on Kodi under the Wizard menu shows only 14/18mbps. Ignoring the difference, according to the blurb on the Kodi Speedtest 10+ mbps should work perfectly.

Any ideas? @Frosty help please! MSR on Sunday!

IMG_20240315_125807047.jpg

Best you change your plans for tomorrow, as MSR is on tomorrow (Saturday). 😂😂

I’m using Rai tomorrow.

https://forum.bikehub.co.za/topic/164472-the-classics/?do=findComment&comment=3954962

On 3/15/2024 at 1:56 PM, NC_lurker said:

Oops! Thanks for that!

Although it still doesn't solve my buffering problem. Going to try connect the media box via LAN cable to see if it helps.

Any chance your buffering problems/line speed are linked to the rare undersea cable damage, down West AND East coast of Africa, in last 48-72 hours?
Cheers, Chris

19 minutes ago, Zebra said:

Any chance your buffering problems/line speed are linked to the rare undersea cable damage, down West AND East coast of Africa, in last 48-72 hours?
Cheers, Chris

Thought of that, but it wouldn't explain why any SkySport channel streamed via Kodi works with no interruptions. It's literally only the Eurosport channels that seem affected....i.e. only the one I want!