2023 Festive 500

The Ouzo

42 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

This is not a challenge, it’s a marketing campaign. If it was truly a challenge, there would be other requirements, such as minimum elevation, minimum speed, must be done in no more than x number of rides.

When you are feeling fit and good, set your own challenge, call it the Ouzo300/400/500/1000 or whatever you want, and go for it. No need to wait for the next marketing campaign 

They’re all marketing campaigns. 
but, it’s a challenge for me, my monthly average is 500km, so to do it in a week is my challenge. 

there is no other time in the year that is practical to take a week off work, primarily to do a cycling challenge disguised as taking leave for family 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

I hear you.

.. I however didn’t care that it was Rapha.. was more interested in taking on the challenge with my good mate and talking about it on here with the rest of the community.. I haven’t even redeemed the reward and will probably never purchase Rapha.. 

which is my point-do it because you want to challenge yourself. So many people get caught up in trying to get to the 500, they forget about having fun. It sounds like you remembered the fun aspect 

4 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

They’re all marketing campaigns. 
but, it’s a challenge for me, my monthly average is 500km, so to do it in a week is my challenge. 

there is no other time in the year that is practical to take a week off work, primarily to do a cycling challenge disguised as taking leave for family 

In a construed way, my message is supportive. For get about the rapha aspect. You could set yourself a challenge if 200km during a busy week work. The idea is to challenge yourself, motivate yourself. It doesn’t need to be a corporate’s idea of a challenge 

28 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

which is my point-do it because you want to challenge yourself. So many people get caught up in trying to get to the 500, they forget about having fun. It sounds like you remembered the fun aspect 

Yeah absolutely get where you coming from.. it was a fun challenge, not too tough that I was crying after every ride..🤣🤣 but tough enough to make me question a few things.. 🤣🤣 

I was mostly having a good time through it all..💪🏼🥳🤘🏻

1 hour ago, Meezo said:

What did i miss didn't the challenge on new years? 

Rapha ended, and Versus challenge started.

11 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Rapha ended, and Versus challenge started.

Get another thread going #notthesame

8 hours ago, sirmoun10goat said:

This is not a challenge, it’s a marketing campaign. If it was truly a challenge, there would be other requirements, such as minimum elevation, minimum speed, must be done in no more than x number of rides.

When you are feeling fit and good, set your own challenge, call it the Ouzo300/400/500/1000 or whatever you want, and go for it. No need to wait for the next marketing campaign 

It is what you see it as .... personally I see it as a challenge to keep motivated during that specific period else is to easy to just chill out because everyone else is. I have accomplished it many years, last year 2022 I couldn't and 2023 I only managed 370. I had as much fun doing that than all the other times I finished it 😎

And I know I'm not the only one that sees it like that

Edited by NotSoBigBen

6 hours ago, Sandro said:

That was the Festive 500 that ended on New Years, there is also the Versus Back to Base challenge thats running from 1 to 10 January to also rack up 500 riding km's. or 50 running km Personally I was only interested in the first challenge, when I have to start renaming activities to suit the sponsor then I couldn't be bothered.

ja. i know, i had to double think that one. Doing it with my wife so it is a positive outcome for both of us. But if it's a dealbreaker for you the rules state you have to put the XXXX words in your strava activity title.

so "I'm doing it for these overpriced footgloves XXXX" complies. non PG versions welcome too

5 hours ago, babse said:

Get another thread going #notthesame

see above. a new thread gives more oxygen to the "sponsors" that have hijacked your strava activity feed. one started, the other finished. you do have to give it to them for clever bandwagonning

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

50km in the feet done and dusted… now to wait for the mail for the free socks, that has a delivery fee attached to it, unless the order is above a min value 🤪

image.png.151d13e2fcc46a0c0859c046ecb4924d.png

i missed that. was the asterisk there when signing up?

image.png.6664377083a8ad3d210bca9f5e0e22cd.png

No, the socks can only be redeemed online using the provided code and will be shipped to your specified address.

Please note, participants only need to cover the shipping cost.

South African Shipping is R99. Our free shipping is on orders over R600 so you can fill up your basket to get free shipping.

For international shipping information, click here

38 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

image.png.6664377083a8ad3d210bca9f5e0e22cd.png

No, the socks can only be redeemed online using the provided code and will be shipped to your specified address.

Please note, participants only need to cover the shipping cost.

South African Shipping is R99. Our free shipping is on orders over R600 so you can fill up your basket to get free shipping.

For international shipping information, click here

was there from the start.

i recall another promo they ran about 2 or 3 years back where I picked up some stuff, items were free you had to pay for shipping.

seems to be standard practice. 

38 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Shipping has always been excluded when they’ve had “free socks” up for grabs. I completed previous challenges but declined to order as I had no need for more (at the time).

I’m fine with the shipping, really did it for something different and the socks are nice bonus for it. Would imagine covering the cost of product and shipping could be pretty detrimental to a small business. 
Hats (socks) off to them for kicking it off.

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

50km in the feet done and dusted… now to wait for the mail for the free socks, that has a delivery fee attached to it, unless the order is above a min value 🤪

image.png.151d13e2fcc46a0c0859c046ecb4924d.png

Nice Frosty, how are you feeling!? Finished mine this morning, just. Now any extra is just bonus mileage. Won’t lie, feeling a bit knackered!

22 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Nice Frosty, how are you feeling!? Finished mine this morning, just. Now any extra is just bonus mileage. Won’t lie, feeling a bit knackered!

I was away for three weeks (holiday), with a pre-planned goal of riding easy; every other day (distance not important), so I started reducing my training load from 947; I was quite well "rested" relative to the load going into 947. Can't say I'm not knackered, but I'd put the fatigue down to poor sleep (not used to a very hard bed).

Legs are a bit eina, as running is not my primary form of exercise. As you previously mentioned, the youthful mind thinks the older body is still capable of doing these things, without consequences. 

Now I can continue my "just ride" mentality until something else pops up on the radar. It's an easy year for me, this year, especially with one extra day in it.