[Event] Tour de PPA

Pedal Power Association

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed the Niner because I had to work. Entered this one. Need to rev the engine. 

image.png.d8c775a37fd5071836804279ecd0afc6.png

Bring your rain jacket, rain booties, checkers packet for your head, extra grease on your BB, headset bearings, throw on your 0.5mm used chain - this looks like a bath now ...

11 minutes ago, Kom said:

image.png.d8c775a37fd5071836804279ecd0afc6.png

Bring your rain jacket, rain booties, checkers packet for your head, extra grease on your BB, headset bearings, throw on your 0.5mm used chain - this looks like a bath now ...

Can barely read anything here but on my forecast it’s saying just heavy cloud cover but zero precipitation. I guess we’ll have to just see how it play out.

2 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Can barely read anything here but on my forecast it’s saying just heavy cloud cover but zero precipitation. I guess we’ll have to just see how it play out.

Maybe PDF is better. 

Windy, WindGuru and YR are saying rain, Apple Weather not - you never know.

Tour De PPA - Windy.pdf

I will look for the biggest former rugby player ruler type oke and stick to his rear wheel like bubble gum on a blanket from Voorpaardeberg onwards. The flags are gonna be dancing in the south easter.

14 minutes ago, throttles said:

@Kom don’t be so..

I’m nervous 🫣

people become dom in the wet 🤦🏻‍♂️

weather is actually looking good for tomorrow - bummed not to be riding

Well C batch was certainly on it today, crazy fast race. Our main goal was 2:55, ended up doing 2:50 😀

Hope the A group that went down are ok, looked like a big pile up 

Edited by MongooseMan

21 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

Well C batch was certainly on it today, crazy fast race. Our main goal was 2:55, ended up doing 2:50 😀

Hope the A group that went down are ok, looked like a big pile up 

Agreed. Pleased with my performance today. First time riding in C and definitely felt like a step up. Managed to finish with the main bunch at 2:50. Also had a cheeky dig at the bunch climb at the finish. Lead everyone out with an all out sprint only to lose out with 200m left 🤣

Seems there were lots of crashes in C. Had to chase back on after a crash caused a split after the turn off from the r44 then was sure I was going down in the crash at the back of C but by some miracle held it up... How I don't know because I felt that I was on the point of no return and somehow the bike straightened up under me... I'd claim it as superior bike handling but after the initial evasive swerve and hop, phase three of the process had nothing to do with me.

Three of us counted our lucky stars and time trialed the last 30. Very disappointed because a 2.50 was definitely on the cards. Drawing significant consolation from the fact that I am not sitting in A and E waiting for xrays and that my bike is in one piece.

The thrill is real and feeling all the training pay off because I can hold the wheel under pressure is really great but is it worth the risk? 

I did have a chuckle when Alex Miller (who was clearly caught up in the A group crash) came past C group and took about 8 people with him for about 10k (during which he did all the work on the front), then dropped them all solo and C caught the “breakaway” just before the silos.
I honestly thought we’d never see them again, but luckily (for me) Alex burned them all even when they were in his draft 😂