Riding alone most of the time, do you?

NotSoBigBen

2 minutes ago, Pandatron said:

I have a question? Since i primarily ride in groups and the burden of an incident is a shared burden.

When you do have an incident? Who is coming to get you? Has this happened yet?

Why I ask, is that ive had a few rides where a lone rider has gone down and our group has had to stop our ride and help with the situation, often severly impacting our ride from enjoyment to the dealing with a trauma event.

The rider generally has vague recollection of who is waiting for them (often what happens when you go over the bars) and the ICE phone contact is generally out of reach.

Feels like a lot of people are just taking a chance and claiming they are super prepared.

/Let the mob assault begin

This is why I have 2 ICE contacts listed, on my phone (no need to unlock it) and on the 2 ICE tags that I wear (one on wrist and one on helmet).

Also have med aid details listed on ICE tags, so in case of emergency there should hopefully be no questions at the ER regarding who will pay before they admit me.

Touch wood I've not had to put it to the test yet.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pandatron said:

I have a question? Since i primarily ride in groups and the burden of an incident is a shared burden.

Why I ask, is that ive had a few rides where a lone rider has gone down and our group has had to stop our ride and help with the situation, often severly impacting our ride from enjoyment to the dealing with a trauma event.

The rider generally has vague recollection of who is waiting for them (often what happens when you go over the bars) and the ICE phone contact is generally out of reach.

Feels like a lot of people are just taking a chance and claiming they are super prepared.

Happened to me 2 years ago.

Started my ride, felt some back pain and woke up in an ambulance.

Turned out to be a kidney stone (drink lots when you ride peeps)

Luckily he was nice enough to get my phone out and call the wife.

I now have crash detection enabled on my phone and have an ICE ID.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

This is why I have 2 ICE contacts listed, on my phone (no need to unlock it) and on the 2 ICE tags that I wear (one on wrist and one on helmet).

Also have med aid details listed on ICE tags, so in case of emergency there should hopefully be no questions at the ER regarding who will pay before they admit me.

I should of put some clarity here, road dynamics is a slightly different kettle of fish to MTB dynamics.

I was referring to MTB inclined routes and the occasisions we've happened upon broken bones, dehydration etc in the Lanseria, Cradle, Krugersdorp outlying areas.

Example 1.. We came across somebody who had clipped an anthill and broken his shoulder, think it was near the Just send it segement (IYKYK). We stopped the ride, triaged the situation, no details blah blah ,called our on call support and transported the rider to Fourways Life.

In the midst of the ride to the hospital, the comment was " so lucky, I normally ride by myself as i dont like groups".

Example 2..Dehydrated rider whose AXS battery had malfunctioned and then proceeded to bonk into the darkest dehydration hole trying to ride home in the hardest gear.

Yet again the group stopped and we sorted the situation.

TLDR; People like to ride their MTB alone (increased risk) and not prepare, then rely on the groups they detest for all the help.

6 minutes ago, Pandatron said:

I should of put some clarity here, road dynamics is a slightly different kettle of fish to MTB dynamics.

I was referring to MTB inclined routes and the occasisions we've happened upon broken bones, dehydration etc in the Lanseria, Cradle, Krugersdorp outlying areas.

Example 1.. We came across somebody who had clipped an anthill and broken his shoulder, think it was near the Just send it segement (IYKYK). We stopped the ride, triaged the situation, no details blah blah ,called our on call support and transported the rider to Fourways Life.

In the midst of the ride to the hospital, the comment was " so lucky, I normally ride by myself as i dont like groups".

Example 2..Dehydrated rider whose AXS battery had malfunctioned and then proceeded to bonk into the darkest dehydration hole trying to ride home in the hardest gear.

TLDR; People like to ride their MTB alone (increased risk) and not prepare, then rely on the groups they detest for all the help.

If helping others is such a hassle just go on your merry way! Also why does the entire group need to stop? As a solo rider it's the risk I take... In the Cape we also have wilderness rescue, so phone them, it's their job. 

17 minutes ago, Pandatron said:

yes, MTB vs road, different risks involved and different accessibility constraints.

One of the reasons I dont ride Suikerbos Rand on my own is due to cell signal in the area. Should I need help I cant rely on cellphone working.

2 hours ago, Pandatron said:

Very good question

I've had the OTB event once riding a technical downhill trail in a forest on my own after work i.e. early evening, my first thought while lying on the ground spluttering, was that no one knows where I am…. iPhone was in my backpack which would probably been my saving grace, luckily I recovered enough to make it home under my own steam.

Despite this I’m still happy to ride mtb or road on my own

1 hour ago, Pandatron said:

I don’t think anyone detests groups

Providing help where it’s needed is a good thing, more people should do this. If it messes up your ride then so be it, it’s only a ride and in the big scheme of things won’t effect your Argust or 94.7 finishing time 🤟

Since my life (and its been a fair long time) it's the first time I've ever heard that kind of sentiment .... maybe the riders of all kinds are just a different breed here in the souf

On the 2 occasions that I've had serious falls in the last year stranger's (in one case it was trail runners) that came along called the contact on my ICE bracelet and in one instance the ambulance

I know the risks and as mentioned I have decided for myself that it is acceptable, whatever will be will be. At the same time I do whatever I can to be safe and get home to my family

7 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Since my life (and its been a fair long time) it's the first time I've ever heard that kind of sentiment .... maybe the riders of all kinds are just a different breed here in the souf

On the 2 occasions that I've had serious falls in the last year stranger's (in one case it was trail runners) that came along called the contact on my ICE bracelet and in one instance the ambulance

I know the risks and as mentioned I have decided for myself that it is acceptable, whatever will be will be. At the same time I do whatever I can to be safe and get home to my family

quoting your post because this happened in the souf

Around this time of year, a few year back, my dad got taken down in a hit and run close to the fire station on Swartkoppies. He managed to get up, and was folded over the bike trying to orientate himself and recover when my moms yoga teacher happened to be driving past, recognised someone in destress and turned around to go and help him. 

3 hours ago, Pandatron said:

ICE tag on my helmet strap.  From medical aid information, to contact numbers.

Home - ICE-TAGS

They deliver to your home, or to your nearest Cycle Lab (couple of other options as well)

I think some of you are missing Panda's point.

Riding alone is risky for YOU but in the event of a fall you are often relying on strangers for help. Strangers who didn't sign up to spend their day assisting people who don't ride in groups because it doesn't suit them, but then rely on a group to get out in tact.

It's a tricky one because although most solo's acknowledge the risk is theirs, if people ride past them and say 'not my problem' while they bleed to death in the bushes there will be a level of un met expectancy of help

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

After my tumble at a MTB event in Ashton I briefly passed out, while at the medics.  It was comforting to know they have access to all my ICE details, if it got to that.  Took almost 2 hours before I was a-okay again.

Much rather have those tags on my helmet straps and not need it, than be in a position where it is needed without it.

4 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I think some of you are missing Panda's point.

Riding alone is risky for YOU but in the event of a fall you are often relying on strangers for help. Strangers who didn't sign up to spend their day assisting people who don't ride in groups because it doesn't suit them, but then rely on a group to get out in tact.

It's a tricky one because although most solo's acknowledge the risk is theirs, if people ride past them and say 'not my problem' while they bleed to death in the bushes there will be a level of un met expectancy of help

I do get his point and I know I'm going to get flack for this but I would consider it normal decency to help someone out whatever the circumstance but hey that's probably just me

4 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I do get his point and I know I'm going to get flack for this but I would consider it normal decency to help someone out whatever the circumstance but hey that's probably just me

Same, I'd also rather bleed out than have some oak lecturing me about how I've inconvenienced his ride :D 

16 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Absolutely

Panda has also helped out MANY people

I guess the point is that while there are measures in place, most of them still rely on others/strangers to implement in dire situations. 

Which is ironic 

It is not fun assisting people who have crashed, run into trouble and rely on you to cancel your plans, miss the wedding of your best mate or an important work meeting (real life things I have missed due to loners crashing/getting into trouble) etc

While I don't regret helping those people, I am severely annoyed that they affected my life in a less than pleasing way at the time

EDIT: avoidable in many cases

Edit2: I run and ride alone a LOT and would also be reliant on someone to assist me if I got into trouble. It is just interesting raising the point that while you accept the risk, you also expect assistance. 

I had never actually thought about it like that

Edited by Jewbacca