What hydration pack do you use?

Mamil

I have an ancient 2.5l camelbak classic (circa 2015) that I use on my MTB 'cos I only have one bottle cage and I also like being able to drink without having to take my hand off the bars and fiddle with the bottle on the trails.

It's on its second bladder - the first having burst after I accidentaly sat on it.

I'm considering https://www.takealot.com/camelbak-m-u-l-e-12-black-hydration-back-pack/PLID92861481

What do you use? Does anyone use a hip pack? If so how do you find it?

Competitors to Camelbak? 

20 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I have an ancient 2.5l camelbak classic (circa 2015) that I use on my MTB 'cos I only have one bottle cage and I also like being able to drink without having to take my hand off the bars and fiddle with the bottle on the trails.

It's on its second bladder - the first having burst after I accidentaly sat on it.

I'm considering https://www.takealot.com/camelbak-m-u-l-e-12-black-hydration-back-pack/PLID92861481

Competitors to Camelbak? 

I use the Classic 2 liter version.

Enough water for my rides, but change of season I am looking for the extra packing space of the Mule when removing layers.

Agreed on the benefits of water without the hassle of a bottle.

My bottle has my gummy berrie juice, used on the easier sections

Edited by ChrisF

45 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Competitors to Camelbak? 

I use a Camelbak 2.5L museum peice too.Think it's called the Lobo On my 2nd or 3rd bladder. Very happy with it.

Edited by love2fly

Use a big bottle on bike and small bottle in hip pack.

Haven't done a ride to justify a bladder in years.

Will likely just get a bladder for the hip paco if need arises, hip pack just works much better for me 

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

Competitors to Camelbak? 

I have one I can loan you. it's not a Camelbak competitor, because it IS a Camelbak... you'll look like a hipster though... you'll love it. 🤣

There's one thing for me on camelbak ( the brand )

they last 

Like I've seen mules that people around me use that are part of the first few generations, I have a 2013 HAWG where the bladder has long gone but the pack itself is still in pristine condition.

Its like thule , even though you're paying a solid premium for the name , the product atleast backs it up.

I have a nice MTB hydration pack (Source,) a nice trail running hydration vest (Salomon,) and a hip pack (inov8.) For riding I’ll grab the hip pack first, the vest second and only the hydration pack when I have to. The best can take the same as the backpack, but stays put. 

The hip pack does move a bit, but it’s still way better than the  mtb hydration pack. On the hip pack I can pack a bottle, phone, keys, bars and gels, lightweight warm top and a first aid kit. If I take out the top I can add a second 500ml soft flask. But usually it only has a bottle, pump, phone and keys in it. 

try the hip pack, it might surprise you.

I used a Maxed hydration pack (cheap) when I started riding mountain bikes and after 2 months I swore newer to use a hydration pack again.  It was a pain to use.

After a couple of years when I really needed one, I go a 1.5l Camelbak and I use it constantly, no problems.

Moral of the story, sometimes buying better and more expensive is worth it.  I got the Camelbak on some sort of special.

49 minutes ago, Jacques Joubert WC said:

Has anyone tried the Marvel version of the Uswe-type backbacks?

https://www.cyclelab.com/product/4004473-hydrpod-marvel-asset-hydration-pack-2l

At R799 the price is appealing. I tried it on in store an it seemed quite nice. Less ventilation on straps and back than Uswe perhaps, but the way it fastens and adjusts seems the same

The USWE concept is good. 
But with the cheaper packs, bear in mind that most of the cost saving is in the bladder and the valve. Which is an easy swap…

Camelbak mule user here,

I use the mule when I do moto trips, as it has a lot of packing space over & above the water.

In winter I sometimes ride with the Mule for when the missus and I have to strip layers.

It’s many years old, and is still in perfect condition, although a little faded.