• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/8/2024 at 7:05 PM, Max Headroom said:

Here is what I do ,

wrap a rag around screwdriver handle,

insert screwdriver in electric drill.

20 minutes to clean a very heavily packed tyre. No worries about chemicals like acetone effect on rubber etc.

Gave this a try ..... not sure what I am doing wrong, it was barely glossing the layer of sealant.

8 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Gave this a try ..... not sure what I am doing wrong, it was barely glossing the layer of sealant.

Jou boor is nog met vakansie

Busy doing a strip down and rebuild full service of my roadie-HT.

After redoing the bearings I noticed the front wheel was out of balance, and always stopping with a specific spot at the bottom.

It is a 700C50 Panaracer tyre, with about 5 000km on, still looks very GOOD.

Rear tyre suffered from glass cuts and was replaced a while back.  Mid last year I lost the new rear tyre with a side wall cut on a broken cat-eye ....  This is what it looks like after about 1 500km.  Already a small accumulation of sludge in one spot (did not take a photo of this)

Screenshot_20240112_111258_Gallery.jpg.6989beb90079d038efc55f602412c0c9.jpg

In stark contrast, the sludge (yellow bottle with the Rhino on it) in the front tyre was regularly topped up.  Every 6 months I would extract the remaining liquid with a syringe, and add new sludge.

THIS is what a few years worth of top ups look like .... :eek:

Screenshot_20240112_111325_Gallery.jpg.aa034825650513de9e13b62f041ee226.jpg

And the cause of the out of balance .....

Screenshot_20240112_111335_Gallery.jpg.fe15df45fe349d4260acb6ac0f95dd62.jpg

I tried the rag-on-a-screwdriver trick on a section with minimal sludge ..... not sure what I did wrong, but the rag barely buffed the sludge.

Out with the high pressure jet .... tyre over the chopping block ..... me in my best Rambo pose and going bos .... tyre was cleaned very quickly.  Removed the new rear tyre and also cleaned it with the pressure yet.

Will redo the tubeless tape, and replace the valves as part of the full service.

Edited by ChrisF

8 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Busy doing a strip down and rebuild full service of my roadie-HT.

After redoing the bearings I noticed the front wheel was out of balance, and always stopping with a specific spot at the bottom.

It is a 700C50 Panaracer tyre, with about 5 000km on, still looks very GOOD.

Rear tyre suffered from glass cuts and was replaced a while back.  Mid last year I lost the new rear tyre with a side wall cut on a broken cat-eye ....  This is what it looks like after about 1 500km.  Already a small accumulation of sludge in one spot (did not take a photo of this)

Screenshot_20240112_111258_Gallery.jpg.6989beb90079d038efc55f602412c0c9.jpg

In stark contrast, the sludge (yellow bottle with the Rhino on it) in the front tyre was regularly topped up.  Every 6 months I would extract the remaining liquid with a syringe, and add new sludge.

THIS is what a few years worth of top ups look like .... :eek:

Screenshot_20240112_111325_Gallery.jpg.aa034825650513de9e13b62f041ee226.jpg

And the cause of the out of balance .....

Screenshot_20240112_111335_Gallery.jpg.fe15df45fe349d4260acb6ac0f95dd62.jpg

I tried the rag-on-a-screwdriver trick on a section with minimal sludge ..... not sure what I did wrong, but the rag barely buffed the sludge.

Out with the high pressure jet .... tyre over the chopping block ..... me in my best Rambo pose and going bos .... tyre was cleaned very quickly.  Removed the new rear tyre and also cleaned it with the pressure yet.

Will redo the tubeless tape, and replace the valves as part of the full service.

Perhaps you rag was too synthetic / nylon - and slips. Try cotton rag. This process has never failed me. Actually, your sealant pic looks 'oily' ? I use Stans, Enduro or my home-made, all are/have latex that comes off with friction - which is why my method works for me.

Edited by Max Headroom

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Perhaps you rag was too synthetic / nylon - and slips. Try cotton rag. This process has never failed me. Actually, your sealant pic looks 'oily' ? I use Stans, Enduro or my home-made, all are/have latex that comes off with friction - which is why my method works for me.

That was the "Sludge" brand.

Busy switching over to Enduro. 

Will try cotton 👍

21 hours ago, ChrisF said:

That was the "Sludge" brand.

Busy switching over to Enduro. 

Will try cotton 👍

Not Sure You want to do That 

18 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

Not Sure You want to do That 

Please tell more ....

2 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Maybe I was Unlucky Six Bottles Later.

To be fair, i recall you saying you gooi maize meal in your sealant to help act as a grit….maybe thats part of the issue? Maybe Enduro seal doesnt make for good mieliepap?😅

4 hours ago, MORNE said:

To be fair, i recall you saying you gooi maize meal in your sealant to help act as a grit….maybe thats part of the issue? Maybe Enduro seal doesnt make for good mieliepap?😅

Its probably because Enduro seal is a South African brand and isnt made by Merida

18 hours ago, MORNE said:

Looks like one way of making doughnuts on a bicycle .......... 😎

Buy new tyres - the casings will be significantly reduced in flexibility by that stage as well unless you have had a sealant malfunction. Also add less sealant the next time when you top up.  All the time you spend screwing about with latex that sticks everywhere could be spent on the bike or dowining a pint with mates.

…I remember the days of fresh rubber, open the casing, with a little soft powder on the fingers, nudge her nicely into position, put it in the hole.. and boom, you got it hard,  up to 120… and off you went,… and ever she got pinched, I’d take her for a bath, and she would blow me bubbles. She would just ly there.. till I brought out my toolkit, and I’d patch her over my bench with the finest glue available, and squeeze her tight till she had no air in her…

I miss these intimate moments.

🤓🤭