Second hand bike market in 2024

ChrisO

Looking at buying a second eMTB bike for enduro riding. Ive been scanning the Hub for a few weeks now for a good used bike, and see that bikes are moving veeeeery sloooowly, but the prices remain stubbornly static. 

What is going on? Is it worth waiting a bit more till the prices adjust to the current market dynamics?

Are used bikes overpriced, is there an excess in supply, are manufacturers discounting older models and giving specials on new bikes right after launch? 

I see that Giant are offering reduced pricing, already, on some of the 2024 models eg the Reign 2 and 3. Surely this brings the new vs older prices closer together, creating a more stagnant used market? Especially with eMTB, where a warrantee on electrics is a big deal. Add to that 0% financing offers in other parts of the world, stronger competition with an increasing amount of models, more smaller manufacturers coming into the country, more spec value for your buck, the bigger guys not wanting to lose market share, etc.

Maybe this is an overdue correction in pricing. Any thoughts?

Search a bit ....

Couple of bike shops are moving the last of their 2022 stock .... at 2020 prices.

A secondhand deal would need to be VERY good to make it worth it while these specials are around ....

48 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Search a bit ....

Couple of bike shops are moving the last of their 2022 stock .... at 2020 prices.

A secondhand deal would need to be VERY good to make it worth it while these specials are around ....

Looking with keen eyes!

Just want a fair, market related deal. No more, no less. 

Depends on how desperate the seller is - I think the low end of the market is very busy I just sold a 26er for 3K on market place - had 5 people fighting over it

Have another full carbon TREK 26er hardtail XO equipped  i was thinking of flipping for 6K, but then i rode it again and thought mmmm naaaa its a fun bike to still ride.

On the high end people don't have spare money laying around so its very quiet - I have 4 road bikes - Collectors models - i been trying to flip and even with 2 price drops they just not moving. I may do another price drop or just keep them.  

45 minutes ago, ChrisO said:

Looking with keen eyes!

Just want a fair, market related deal. No more, no less. 

Some eye candy .....

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/giant-stance-e-1-pro-2022?_pos=3&_sid=ec2a5dd47&_ss=r&_fid=5c8f00b95

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/giant-trance-x-e-3-pro-2022?_pos=7&_sid=ec2a5dd47&_ss=r&_fid=5c8f00b95

Starting prices are lower than in 2019 .....

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/giant-talon-e-3-2022?_pos=1&_sid=ec2a5dd47&_ss=r&_fid=5c8f00b95

Similar situation at Solomons cycles, and a few other outlets ....

2 hours ago, ChrisO said:

but the prices remain stubbornly static. 

What is going on? Is it worth waiting a bit more till the prices adjust to the current market

It’s simple: The market has already adjusted, the sticky prices you’re seeing are from sellers who are too stubborn to accept this. Hence sticky, because their bikes aren’t selling.

Look, I can empathise. If you’ve spent R200k on an EB and ridden it lightly for a year, your brain will have trouble accepting an R80k-R100k depreciation knock, but that’s just the way it is.

I am under no illusion about how much money I’d lose on the R180k cost of my latest Levo (which I’ve only had since May), but many people are…

3 hours ago, ChrisO said:

Looking at buying a second eMTB bike for enduro riding. Ive been scanning the Hub for a few weeks now for a good used bike, and see that bikes are moving veeeeery sloooowly, but the prices remain stubbornly static. 

What is going on? Is it worth waiting a bit more till the prices adjust to the current market dynamics?

Are used bikes overpriced, is there an excess in supply, are manufacturers discounting older models and giving specials on new bikes right after launch? 

I see that Giant are offering reduced pricing, already, on some of the 2024 models eg the Reign 2 and 3. Surely this brings the new vs older prices closer together, creating a more stagnant used market? Especially with eMTB, where a warrantee on electrics is a big deal. Add to that 0% financing offers in other parts of the world, stronger competition with an increasing amount of models, more smaller manufacturers coming into the country, more spec value for your buck, the bigger guys not wanting to lose market share, etc.

Maybe this is an overdue correction in pricing. Any thoughts?

I'd be super scared to buy a used e-bike....imagine having to fork big bucks on a new battery soon after? Are warrantys transferable? I doubt batteries get more than minimal cover? These days warrantys are against "manufacturing defects" which is such a grey area and difficult to prove.

9 minutes ago, love2fly said:

I'd be super scared to buy a used e-bike....imagine having to fork big bucks on a new battery soon after? Are warrantys transferable? I doubt batteries get more than minimal cover? These days warrantys are against "manufacturing defects" which is such a grey area and difficult to prove.

Most ebikes link to an app.

You can see the bikes full history !!  Number of charge cycles, battery health, etc

Probably safer than buying another bike second hand.

Edited by ChrisF

11 minutes ago, love2fly said:

…the batterys GENERALLY last, and last well, mine is 6+ years old (the battery), still going strong; your apprehension is SOMEWHAT misplaced…

5 minutes ago, Zebra said:

…the batterys GENERALLY last, and last well, mine is 6+ years old (the battery), still going strong; your apprehension is SOMEWHAT misplaced…

And you know how you've treated it vs the great unknown but I hear you.

2 minutes ago, love2fly said:

And you know how you've treated it vs the great unknown but I hear you.

Very valid point.

I do my bit to treat my batteries good.  12 000km split between two bikes, and my batteries are still in good nick.

Can only wonder if "bad habits" would significantly reduce its life expectancy.

More importantly .... I hope the battery health checker on the app is reasonably accurate.

12 minutes ago, love2fly said:

There's plenty of kilometres to cover on a battery. (Thousands) The only thing worth keeping an eye on is the drivetrain, specifically the chain and cassette. Occasionally, you might run into some motor issues, but personally, I've owned four second-hand e-bikes without any problems. Plus, there are more workshops available now that can handle motor repairs if needed.

The only hiccups I've encountered, fingers crossed, involve cable and wire connections. They tend to get dirty, but a good cleaning usually does the trick to get everything back in smooth working order.

The 50k to 70k ebike market got some super deals. 

11 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Haha - thanks!  
I already own the 22 Stance e Pro, exactly as in the pic, for the family, and 22 Trance Xe Pro +2 for myself.  
Looking for an enduro, preferably the 22 Reign e+1. 
So if you know about one 🤞Must be XL, maybe L. 
Anyone?

11 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

It’s simple: The market has already adjusted, the sticky prices you’re seeing are from sellers who are too stubborn to accept this. Hence sticky, because their bikes aren’t selling.

Look, I can empathise. If you’ve spent R200k on an EB and ridden it lightly for a year, your brain will have trouble accepting an R80k-R100k depreciation knock, but that’s just the way it is.

I am under no illusion about how much money I’d lose on the R180k cost of my latest Levo (which I’ve only had since May), but many people are…

I’m completely with you on this, I feel for those guys. 
In end you’ll lose the money, and time, by being too optimistic. 
But, it must be painful.
Then again, you’ve had the joy of riding a premium product, albeit at a premium price.
I can only imagine what it must feel like to have your first ride on your new 250k piece of dream kit.

Surely life’s too short not to do that at least once?

Regardless of market conditions….ive always sold things at roughly 50-60% new value. They always sell fast in that bracket. Like already mentioned by others….if im selling it, i had my joy and im selling it to offset the costs of something new i want…not to necessarily make maximum profit or recoup money.

its the guys listing stuff for 75% ish of the new price who are in for a rude awakening imo. There will be outliers of course and someone might think your warranty-less ~25% off new discount is a good deal. But not me. You have to consider all these things.

there are people on here selling used stuff for more than what you can land it here new using the grey stuff between your ears😅

46 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Regardless of market conditions….ive always sold things at roughly 50-60% new value. They always sell fast in that bracket. Like already mentioned by others….if im selling it, i had my joy and im selling it to offset the costs of something new i want…not to necessarily make maximum profit or recoup money.

its the guys listing stuff for 75% ish of the new price who are in for a rude awakening imo. There will be outliers of course and someone might think your warranty-less ~25% off new discount is a good deal. But not me. You have to consider all these things.

there are people on here selling used stuff for more than what you can land it here new using the grey stuff between your ears😅

Spot on. 

I think this post should be on page 1 of Bike Hub 👌