Gravel Bike - 1 x or 2 x Groupset

Johan1983

14 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

For my MTB equivalent gear ratio you would need a 28x42 for the last 3km of Swartberg. 

Having said that, I've done Swartberg many, many times on a MTB, but never with a gravel bike, so not sure how the 1x gravel crowd manages their gears for the race.  They most likely use a 50 cassette?

my anecdotal evidence, i have a converted old giant escape, running fsa omega (48/32) and an 11-32 cassette. i did PA to Die Hel and back and didnt suffer (too hard).
the 1:1 ratio on Swartberg was fine, but it would have been nice to have a little extra in some parts.

i've never done the full swartberg, so don't know if it heads steeper from there

Edited by RossTopher

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigger gear ratio jumps on a 1x…, it depends what floats your boat. Best to try out both and make a choice..

31 minutes ago, RossTopher said:

my anecdotal evidence, i have a converted old giant escape, running fsa omega (48/32) and an 11-32 cassette. i did PA to Die Hel and back and didnt suffer (too hard).
the 1:1 ratio on Swartberg was fine, but it would have been nice to have a little extra in some parts.

i've never done the full swartberg, so don't know if it heads steeper from there

Wow, ok, the portion from Malvadraai to the top of the switchbacks many times exceeds the steepness from the other side, so to do that on a 1:1 ratio take some doing!!!  Hats off!!

Bearing in mind that for the GF you will already have a far bit off riding in the legs...

I've ridden up the whole of swartberg pass on the gran fondo with a 1:1 ratio (or 42 chainring and 11-42 cassette)

I've also ridden up most of it 40/20 with a SS gravel bike the year before. It's probably better having something easier but it's definitely not impossible. It's also silly to gear a bike for a race you will ride at most once a year, but probably not even that often.

Gear for what you ride all the time. That 45 minutes a year isn't the rule, it's the exception.

Gear ratios mean nothing on swartberg if you don't have an entry. A 1400 ZAR  entry rider for anyone on a bike for 1000. 

I feel for event organisers. If it's this hard to give someone who wants to ride the event a 400 ZAR discount ..... 

That's for the swartberg granfondo BTW 

Edited by Mamil

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I've ridden up the whole of swartberg pass on the gran fondo with a 1:1 ratio (or 42 chainring and 11-42 cassette)

I've also ridden up most of it 40/20 with a SS gravel bike the year before. It's probably better having something easier but it's definitely not impossible. It's also silly to gear a bike for a race you will ride at most once a year, but probably not even that often.

Gear for what you ride all the time. That 45 minutes a year isn't the rule, it's the exception.

I was told by the fastest guy up there last year that 46-52 was a bit hard up there and that he'd go smaller chainring this year, so although you've done it and it's possible, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone (unless you're in it for the street cred).

It is the one time in the year I'm planning to use a smaller chainring. Otherwise rest of the year, honestly the 46/10-50 does it all for me, from the chappies ride with the roadies, to the 40:20s, torque sessions, etc etc. Yes the gaps are a bit bigger, but never too much that it's a problem to follow a workout, or in a race, and it's probably good to change from slightly slower/standing to slightly higher/seating during a ride anyways. But like someone said, most important part is what you can get your hands on at the price you're willing to pay, I will always go for the 1x option 1st on the gravel bike, but either option works just fine, Venter won boland 100 miler on a 2x, if it's good for him, it's good for you 

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

You don't count, being immortal and all...

What about two wheels sets, gravel with 10-50 and a road with whatever makes sens for you. 

10 minutes ago, Pandatron said:

What about two wheels sets, gravel with 10-50 and a road with whatever makes sens for you. 

Depending how different those are doesn't chain length become an issue .... just wondering if it would affect shifting

3 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Depending how different those are doesn't chain length become an issue .... just wondering if it would affect shifting

It's what I saw on YouTube, think the Explorer from sram and 10 52 work. Maybe I don't know

4 hours ago, RossTopher said:

1x gearing really depends on your preferred cadence, or your power.

Yup. In my experience, the biggest issue with a 1x is often matching the speed of a bunch. Then I'm either over or undergeared, forcing me to ride at a cadence that's just out of the comfort zone. Its not hard, but its just one more thing you don't want or need to consciously be paying attention to. This is only an issue racing and in the bunch.

But overall, my bigger question to you guys is what about component durability? Having only ridden 8, 10 and 12 speed, I am just not impressed with the limited lifespan of 12x components. 10 speed (and therefore 2x10) feels like the sweet spot between durability, cost and gear range.

7 hours ago, Vaultboy said:

Yup. In my experience, the biggest issue with a 1x is often matching the speed of a bunch. Then I'm either over or undergeared, forcing me to ride at a cadence that's just out of the comfort zone. Its not hard, but its just one more thing you don't want or need to consciously be paying attention to. This is only an issue racing and in the bunch.

But overall, my bigger question to you guys is what about component durability? Having only ridden 8, 10 and 12 speed, I am just not impressed with the limited lifespan of 12x components. 10 speed (and therefore 2x10) feels like the sweet spot between durability, cost and gear range.

Some more fuel on the fire ....

After two bikes with 1x12 GX I went back to 1x11.

Very durable 👍

Much more affordable cost of ownership.

Set and forget.

As for 1x vs 2x ....2x has its advantages, for your stated use

I faced a similar dilemma when building my gravel bike a few years ago: looking for gearing that suits both gravel and road - the ability to get my 90kgs up the Swartberg pass as well as stay with the roadies on the Argus loop on Sunday mornings, without needing to cash-in the pension to purchase a 10-52 cassette. Spent hours searching and looking that gearing comparison webpages.

Decided on 2x and initially went for: 36/52 on the front and a 11-34 cassette.  I battled on some really steep climbs in the mountains and when I accidentally trashed the large chain ring, I changed to 50/32 and a 11-34 cassette. With that combination, I can get up any gravel / jeep track as well as stay with the roadies on Sundays. Not lead them, but you can stay with a pelaton or train of guys.

I bought mine as GRX was coming out and the Ultegra was on a super special, especially the Ultegra RX derailleur (with a clutch which you have to have for gravel). After looking at costs vs weight vs robustness, I bought:

• Ultegra disk brakes
  • Ultegra 11 speed RX derailleur, 11-34 casette and chain - the 11 speed ultegra chain is the same as an XT mtb chain. I haven't had the best experience mixing non-shimano chains and cassettes, they work but seem to be rough. The full ultegra combo is silky smooth.
  • 105 crank set with 50/32. The Ultegra crankset cost significantly more for a minimal weight benefit and I see they have since had a recall on them. The 105 crank and chainrings are good and strong.

I bought it all from Merlin. If you patient and keep an eye on their specials, one can get a bargain, but also look at the SA online stores, they are also providing good deals. I assume one would need to get a GRX derailleur instead of the RX and just check for ultegra / rx compatibility. I don't think it will be an issue, but worth checking.

Edited by Baracuda

20 hours ago, Johan1983 said:

Hi All

Im building myself a Gravel Bike

I will be riding on the Road and Gravel and do some Gravel Races

What Groupset to buy?

I am very happy with my 1 x setup for Gravel. Running 42T with 11-42 cassette. Though, somedays I do wish I had a 44 or 46 in the cassette for the steep hills, but forget about this once I reach the top. However, been day-dreaming of a new bike... if I do eventually pull the trigger, I may go for a 2 x setup only such that the bike is more versatile for both Road and Gravel... so more of an all rounder than just Gravel (though I do use my current setup on the Road as well, but it has its limitations, e.g. cadence).

Just adding my 2c:

My favorite gravel bike groupset is actually the GRX 2x10 (the 400 series, I think?). 30/45 in the front and 11-36 cassette. I was able to join the roadies without running out of gears too often, and that 30/36 granny gear allowed me to carry a pretty heavy load up a few passes (Franschhoek, etc) for a local bikepacking trip (including tent, clothes, sleeping bag, some food). And it was cheaper than the other GRX options.

So it suited my needs as a "do it all" groupset. My only complaint is the gap between the two chainrings is quite big, but it's necessary to give the spread of gears that it has.

19 hours ago, Furbz said:

having had both. really once you start riding its not the biggest issue.

its a ratios thing and if you are happy you are riding a cadence maybe a bit above or below what you normally would.

if that does not bother you then go for the 1x. its simple and looks great.

if cadence is a bug bear then go 2x 

Interesting thread this, and the consensus is that you ride whatever floats your boat. There are way too many permutations and personal preferences to start a bar fight over this topic.

My experience - built a gravel monster on a 26er hardtail Gary Fisher platform because I am a poor scrooge and love the challenge of doing something when everybody tells me I'm crazy. I had the bike since 94 and simply could not let go of it. Original cantilever rim brakes with a 3x8 Shimano group+Claris 8 Spd STI's. Chromo steel frame hence weight was never going to be an issue for me. This thing is as heavy as they come, BUT probably my best ride ever.

I have seen gezillion video and/or written analysis on 3x, 2x and 1x groups. The bottom line is personal preference, since neither one of them ticks every block you might ever encounter or wish for.

My 2 cents' worth