[Event] King Price Race to the Sea

Faces Advendurance

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Really well organised event, and glad the weather gods blessed us.
Those finishing kilometers though! 💀

Don't want to complain because overall the event was really good, but yes the finishing kilometers... Why??? Can only think the traffic authorities intervened and spoiled our fun there because I cannot imagine the organisers thought it was a brilliant upgrade to the perfectly normal gravel road the race ended on last year. 

9 hours ago, Mamil said:

I see Matt Beers posted his ride to Strava - with power data - 366 average power - which I note coincidentally is 2 watts LOWER than the VO2 max 1 minute interval that spices my 6 minutes of sweet spot tomorrow evening ..........

Weighted ave of 399... 

🥺

A friend came down from JHB and we did our first gravel 100 miler together. This was an awesome idea. We got caught by the leading ladies after the Franshoek Pass downhill, and we decided to stick with them for a while (this was a bad idea). We felt really good so even tried getting away from them a couple of times, but come the first gravel climb they dropped us like stones (and ended up taking something like 1.5 hours by the end - they were clearly sandbagging on the flats and laughing at our attempts).

I had a minor fall around 50km, and my back and hands hurt quite a bit up to about 90km - glad to have a friend pull me through. After that I started feeling good again and we made good time until those double hemel and aarde tar climbs (which is where we realised our Silver dreams were smashed). Good spirits at the 15km to go water point, but wow those last 5km's were brutal on the hands - we stopped to watch people slipping down the muddy grass field bit. Came home with a solid Bronze time.

The organisation was perfect, water points were amazing and the route is spectacular (95% of it at least).

The race was epic, and not only will we be back next year, we will find some other events to do as well. Call me another gravel convert :)