the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

3 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

I can just hear the background cash-register noise of the organizers laughing "ka ching"

where would you think they save money from now on with people falling out?

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Seems a lot of money for 2 days of riding. 

I don’t understand why sponsors allow this. I guess the social media likes outweighs the lost entry fee. I’d love to have a sponsored entry and respect it for the privilege it is. Yet there are so many who take the entrt, talk up a big game, attend”training camps” and then play Russian roulette with the cut off each day. Maybe it makes for a great story. I don’t get it

19 minutes ago, Carmichael said:

Good question. Food is already booked and paid for. The have a demand curve based on previous events so they already know how the meals demand tapers off after day2. No saving there.

tents are already bought and paid for. man hours is covered by volunteers, who pay to be there if I recall correctly.

i think it’s just about maintaining the #untamed epicness mystique 

Edited by DieselnDust

17 minutes ago, Carmichael said:

Food/water which they need to estimate slightly less and logistics spring to mind first 

But I'm sure there's tons of other stuff I'm not thinking of 

Just now, DieselnDust said:

Good question. Food is already booked and paid for. The have a demand curve based on previous events so they already know how the means tapers off after day2. No saving there.

tents are already bought and paid for. man hours is covered by volunteers, who pay to be there if I recall correctly.

i think it’s just about maintaining the #untamed epicness mystique 

100% i agree, Def not on food or showers etc, everythig alreayd setup in wellington and bosch, and alot of people already not staying in tents and eating at BB etc... 

17 minutes ago, Carmichael said:

I'll take a stab...

They can forecast ahead based on trends of how many meals, staff, medics, nutrition etc they need from 1st day to last. 

If the trend over 20 years show, 2% drop-out day 1, 5% day 2 etc, they can actually increase the entry fee, but knowing they will not need to spend the same to run the full event. 

42 minutes ago, tux26 said:

I've gone and looked and this is what I have found:

727 teams were registered; I can't see how many actually started

710 teams finished the prologue

659 teams finished stage 1

599 teams finished stage 2

So possibly 128 teams have not finished after 3 days.  I didn't check individual finishers, so I don't know how many teams have both riders out.

Just got sent this image.jpeg.077bd2a35addc36b7b3343b7d3143745.jpeg

1 minute ago, karma said:

I'll take a stab...

They can forecast ahead based on trends of how many meals, staff, medics, nutrition etc they need from 1st day to last. 

If the trend over 20 years show, 2% drop-out day 1, 5% day 2 etc, they can actually increase the entry fee, but knowing they will not need to spend the same to run the full event. 

But inflation is real and it affects the event as well so they will increase the entry fee to ensure they can cover those costs. Sponsors will have a contracted escalation built into their agreement with the event. The entry fee is essentially the event organisers covering their initial risk I.e salary increases, rent increases for offices, warehousing, asset depreciation, taxes, events license fees, media fees, helicopter rental, drone rental, generator rental catering etc etc. Everything increases in price as does food. If yo lu count how far R5000 in groceries goes you’d lose weight just by the fact you can’t eat as much in 2024 as you could in 2022.

sunk costs are sunk. There is no saving from having less clients to cater for. You paid for everything upfront not on pay as you eat basis.

Just now, DieselnDust said:

But inflation is real and it affects the event as well so they will increase the entry fee to ensure they can cover those costs. Sponsors will have a contracted escalation built into their agreement with the event. The entry fee is essentially the event organisers covering their initial risk I.e salary increases, rent increases for offices, warehousing, asset depreciation, taxes, events license fees, media fees, helicopter rental, drone rental, generator rental catering etc etc. Everything increases in price as does food. If yo lu count how far R5000 in groceries goes you’d lose weight just by the fact you can’t eat as much in 2024 as you could in 2022.

sunk costs are sunk. There is no saving from having less clients to cater for. You paid for everything upfront not on pay as you eat basis.

Agree, I meant for coming years and events.

Def no saving on current event cost.

so basically they have made =/- R 13 200 000 for a 3-day stage race with only 120 participants

Yoh, I have PTSD from that descent on the gravel bike in the mudd at Old Hermon

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Don’t complain 😂

I'm not complaining about the live stream 🤣 I'm complaining about the broadcast being about 0% live  for 2.5 hours, now it's great 😜

Edited by Jbr

Just now, Jbr said:

Yoh, I have PTSD from that descent on the gravel bike in the mudd at Old Hermon

I have ptsd from 2018.

buff megamo are looking like the real deal this year