99er Cycle Tour 2024

K20Champ

10 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Hi Nick,

it’s my first 99er so I can t compare it to previous editions. I will suggest that the route through the residential area once turning off Adderly needs more careful consideration. I was in a race for the group win and got caught behind bakkies shlepping trailers and some hairy Whookie in a blue cycling shirt and peaked helmet who seemed to want to play chicken with the A+B group and cars. We need a clean run through to the finish climb for safety sake please. 
ride report to follow. Overall I thought the event was well run from start to finish. 

ps : the start herding to the pens needs to be smoothed out a bit. Lots of gravel to negotiate and many people hanging about in groups blocking the routes to the chutes 

PSs yes I was late

3 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

The problem we have is that there is NO OTHER WAY to get to the finish if we do not turn right off Adderly....

A venue change maybe 🤔

I personally enjoy that section (but didn't have any bakkie-encounters). It's a nice "breathe in and gather yourself" moment before Odendaal.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, tinmug said:

From an organisational standpoint it's difficult to see how it could be improved upon. Registration this morning a breeze, parking marshals fantastic, and route clear. A bit of a snarl-up where bicycles cross traffic at the Fisantekraal turnoff (bikes go right, some cars straight) but otherwise smooth sailing (oh, and a wider bridge down the line would be nice 😆).

Awesome event, deserves the praise and growth and honestly hats off to all organising folks and volunteers. It felt polished. 

Lol! I was stuck in that stupid snarl up at Fisantekraal. (In my official vehicle with orange light 🤣) Eventually got out of my car and spoke to the traffic dude. It is his 1st year and I explained what I thought he should do. He didn't take too well to that BUT 5 minutes later things were better. 

Also, bear in mind EVERY SINGLE PERSON OUT THERE is a parent volunteering, so yes, huge kudos to them 

7 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

The problem we have is that there is NO OTHER WAY to get to the finish if we do not turn right off Adderly....

A venue change maybe 🤔

Possibly block traffic in D'Urbanville for those few minutes that the lead racing bunch rolls through.

Sure, I lost a few seconds behind a bakkie there.  But we KNOW it is a PARTIAL road closure event.  Really not an issue.

I started in E and watching from the back it is clear most know the tight turns in the beginning ... it is part of the race.  Maybe just a cautionary note as part of the briefing at the start 👍

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

Fantastic race. Started in D and really happy with my personal performance. I do however feel that the group itself was really frustrating to ride in. There were a small handful of us at the front trying to get some momentum and pace line going but people just absolutely refusing to pull a turn. I kinda knew E would catch us quickly as there was definitely a lack of urgency. People just happy to suck wheel. When E caught us I think around the 40km mark it finally seemed like something would happen but bar a few of them who tried to get something going, the rest again just happy to suck wheel. What happened after that was possibly one of the biggest bunches in a non Argus event I’ve ever seen. And yeah once we hit kalbaskraal, again people would rather ride in oncoming traffic than spend a few seconds in the wind. 

Once we hit adderley, I tried multiple times to break free but with the wind was pretty much impossible. A couple of guys jumped on my wheel but refuse to pull a turn upfront so I felt like I towed the entire bunch up adderley. And then ofcourse the moment we hit the suburbs, everyone turned into super Saiyan 6 all of a sudden for the last 2k’s. Where was that energy before 🤦🏻‍♂️

Either way, a really enjoyable race and such a great attendance. Road cycling making a huge comeback 2024. Organisation also top marks today. Spare of thought for the poor guys on motor bikes today. We really made it difficult for them and can do better as cyclists. 

I started in N. 4 of us tore off to catch groups, and I think everything you've said here can be copy pasted to each group I joined along the way. 

I'll never understand why people pay for race entries and get all kitted up to freewheel and slam brakes for 3 hours, but to each their own. I nearly dislocated my elbow asking others to take a turn when we bridged gaps.

There were times along old Malmesbury where my entire group (bar the front 10 or so) was sitting in oncoming traffic. I was just left of the line with the whole lane, but getting windbeaten

1 minute ago, F@yino said:

Fantastic event, loved it. Very well organised.

Suggestions….. Bring back Vissershok 🫣

Vissershok is unusable due to local road authorities not fixing the road and we put safety over everything else. However, there is major roadworks coming to Vissers in February.....so who knows.....

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Maybe a few bike stands at the race cource ?

It was fun trying to walk with all the bikes on the ground.

You already have a large brick on the back of your bike, may as well ad a side-stand as well. 😉🤭🤙

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Maybe a few bike stands at the race cource ?

It was fun trying to walk with all the bikes on the ground.

Brilliant suggestion 👏👏

Definitely speak to ops about that

21 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

A venue change maybe 🤔

maybe just marshalling at every intersection. We just need a clean run in and not have a tanie in her 4tjunher pushing in a roundabout or past us to turn left in front( while we head straigh)to pick up her loaf of sourdoh at the woolies. Its One Saturday morning in a year and roads are back to normal by 10am

Edited by DieselnDust

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

maybe just marshalling at every intersection. We just need a clean run in and not have a tanie in her 4tjunher pushing in a roundabout or past us to turn left in front( while we head straigh)to pick up her loaf of sourdoh at the woolies. Its One Saturday morning in a year and roads are back to normal by 10am

Trust me, we fight the same fight 🙇 Some very intolerant residents in that middle area...

Edited by NicholasH

18 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

I personally enjoy that section (but didn't have any bakkie-encounters). It's a nice "breathe in and gather yourself" moment before Odendaal.

it is but we had a few small problems with motorists in A+B through that run in. Burned matches closing gaps as cars and bakkies got it the way

6 minutes ago, tinmug said:

You already have a large brick on the back of your bike, may as well ad a side-stand as well. 😉🤭🤙

I was thinking of all those plastic bikes 🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Mamil said:

This has to be the most slickly organised and executed event. The start is immaculate, enough porta pottys and toilets, parking a breeze, clear, precise and friendly marshalls organising people into start groups and all with a smile - very lekker.

Fast route, technical beginning and finish through the traffic circles which is all good. The absence of a large hill anywhere in the first quarter of the race makes for super large bunches and in the cross winds on the Old Malmesbury Road this made for some hairy moments and high risk riding. The bike Marshall looking after the main blob of D and some Es was excellent, firm, capable and vigilant but he had his hands full keeping people left of the line. I

'm amazed how many of us are willing to ride on the wrong side of the road on a blind rise just to hang on to an alphabet soup group. 

Somone came down directly in front of me as we crested one of the rollers, red kit - I rode over his back wheel - really thought I was going to join him for a lie down but by some fluke didn't - clipped back in and chased on.

Got dropped on the drag up to Adderly and then a burly gent by the name of Rudi towed me and some others back - what a beast Rudi is, clearly more than a 100kg of solid muscle - he didn't even look like he was trying but he must have been putting down some serious watts. 

Slower than last year thanks to the winds.

Lekker race - I enjoyed it - despite the risks

🙏🙏 We did have issues with cyclists living on the wrong side of the road. We will engage with ThinkBike to be stricter on that 

This was my 10th 99er. Loved! I did the 100km last year on my 26er MTB. Today it was the 29er on some gravel.

Next year I hope they have an option that included the scenic Wintervogel road to Kalbaskraal. 

IMG_20240210_071941.jpg.de405403f51da1edecca36ef2598d6a8.jpgIMG_20240210_083240.jpg.03d669714745762ba8bfed95df2c7166.jpgIMG_20240210_091544_stitch_c.jpg.15cc3e6ed92661ee95b228024808f6bf.jpgIMG_20240210_093207.jpg.68d2f96708d77505effd13151efde3c6.jpgIMG_20240210_095151.jpg.d2debda84443461b6ca6a20bee5597e6.jpg