Heart rate monitors

Hi guys I have been using a marvel heart rate monitor for the last year well about a year but it's not always consistent with readings and sometimes stalls 

Now I would like to get a better one but don't know what to get and also don't want to spend a leg and arm since I'm still in school any recommendations on what to buy 

Suspect I'm in a similar boat with a failing HRM.

From what I've seen:

Magene H003 R740

Wahoo Tickr 2 R999

Polar H9 R1299

Garmin Dual R1499

You may still be able get some lesser known brand for a little less.

38 minutes ago, Erik Breedt said:

Hi guys I have been using a marvel heart rate monitor for the last year well about a year but it's not always consistent with readings and sometimes stalls 

Now I would like to get a better one but don't know what to get and also don't want to spend a leg and arm since I'm still in school any recommendations on what to buy 

Garmin Duel rums like a metronome. Never had a single issue in years of use. 

I used to have the Garmin Duel, but at some point it died on me, and warranty couldn't help me (I think it was just outside warranty).

I now use the Wahoo Tickr 2, and it's brilliant. :thumbup:

Have been using a Polar H9 after my TICKR died. Solid device, just wish it had some sort of indicator it was on / off but never had an issue. 

Safe to say there are no guarantees.

All work well enough, but can just as easily fail.

What I forgot to add in earlier post was if able to, try the transponder (assuming it's detachable) with a different chest strap.

I have had failure in the past where only the strap was faulty and comparatively cheap to replace.

I have had problems with the little rubber gasket onntje Garmin HRM. Currently have wahoo tickr but have had the studs come loose on the strap.

Currently using tickr with a Forza strap which seems a winning combo.

Have had two TICKRs die on me and just gave up on the brand. Also never completely confident in the results, either small gaps/drops, or weird flat lines. The warranty seems to work well though. Two of my friends have had similar experiences. I would strongly recommend anything else.

I go through HR straps like a bergie  goes through underpants. It s shocking how poor these straps are. Most recent failure is the Garmon HRM dual. Fortunately I have so many from replced under warranty head units that I'm seldom without one.

get the cheapest one that link to your device and don't sweat the brand (pun intended)

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I go through HR straps like a bergie  goes through underpants. It s shocking how poor these straps are. Most recent failure is the Garmon HRM dual. Fortunately I have so many from replced under warranty head units that I'm seldom without one.

get the cheapest one that link to your device and don't sweat the brand (pun intended)

This☝🏻! Garmin transponder works like a charm, the strap on the other hand needs some rework for longevity. Breaks on the join where the stretchy straps and sensor pads meet🥺!

2 Tickrs failed on me - rust on contact points and inside. Use in the sea for paddling /surfski so that might be an issue. Garmin dual is great until you have to change batteries - screws are tiny and strip easily. Using Magene at the moment - cheaper and no issues yet.  Tickr and Magene easier to change batteriesn- just a coin to open back.

Always rinse and dry sensor /contact points - salt form seat and the sea is a killer 

I'm a POLAR believer...for life.

Chest straps last a very long time if rinsed and washed with mild soap in shower after ride. Hang vertically, don't bend otherwise rubber and takes strain (can crack over time).

Rinse the HRM device and wipe the metal connectors dry. Never seen any rust and they are considered the most accurate HRM.

THE H10 unit can connect to two devices simultaneously so its handy on a smart trainer when you also want to record the ride on your watch.

Battery changing is also simple.

In 7 years I've only gone through one belt that has a crack in it. Although it still works I feel I can't rely on it 100%.

Good luck with your choice.

Edited by robbybzgo
Added content

19 minutes ago, robbybzgo said:

I'm a POLAR believer...for life.

Chest straps last a very long time if rinsed and washed with mild soap in shower after ride. Hang vertically, don't bend otherwise rubber and takes strain (can crack over time).

Rinse the HRM device and wipe the metal connectors dry. Never seen any rust and they are considered the most accurate HRM.

THE H10 unit can connect to two devices simultaneously so its handy on a smart trainer when you also want to record the ride on your watch.

Battery changing is also simple.

In 7 years I've only gone through one belt that has a crack in it. Although it still works I feel I can't rely on it 100%.

Good luck with your choice.

Same here. Polar h10 = gold standard as far as I am concerned.  Im nearing 5 years on mine too. Only 1 battery swop.

Edited by MORNE

Polar H10 if you can. H9 is supposedly great too. as @MORNE  says, its the gold standard.

The likes of GPLama and DCrainmaker have done loads of tests, and the Polar stuff always passes with flying colours.

i have read and heard a lot of negatives on the wahoo unit.