Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Right, so my mate is doing his 21st CTCT in March. We started riding together many years back, somehwere along the line I skipped one that he did, so my 21st is next year.

Anyway, he is very unfit and refuses to have me ride slowly with him, but I think it would be awesome if we cross the line together.

So what I'm thinking of doing is riding my race, then cycle back to somewhere along the route, for instance Camps Bay or somewhere else easily accessible, and then ride with him to the end.

My question is 2 fold

a) other than doing the entire route a second time, where would be the easiest place to cycle back to ? I dont really want to be that guy cycling in the opposite direction to everyone else, so somewhere with an alternative route to get to.

b) what will happen with my timing when I cross the finish line a second time an hour or 2 after I crossed it the first time ?

I’ve hypothetically done this a few times to Finnish with my wife. I would First remove timing chip then choose a Route depending on where he is when you’re done and taking into account how long it will take you to a point where you’ll meet up.

So i would track my wife, check where she is when I’m done and “surprise” her.

The first time I hypothetically met her in Hout bay at the bottom of chappies- via constantia neck.

Hypothetical Second time on top of suiker, also constantia neck but took the first circle right so I skipped little suiker.

Hypothetical Third time and quickest is to go over high level road and drop down into Campsbay.

So best would be to check where your friend is and meet up at a point where he will be about 30min after you finish.

Note: Marshals will not allow you to ride against the flow of the cyclists coming to the finish. They’re  not really phased that you finishing again. But then again they don’t know it’s you’re second time.

8 hours ago, throttles said:

I’ve hypothetically done this a few times to Finnish with my wife. I would First remove timing chip then choose a Route depending on where he is when you’re done and taking into account how long it will take you to a point where you’ll meet up.

The first time I hypothetically met her in Hout bay at the bottom of chappies- via constantia neck.

Hypothetical Second time on top of suiker, also constantia neck but took the first circle right so I skipped little suiker.

Hypothetical Third time and quickest is to go over high level road and drop down into Campsbay.

So best would be to check where your friend is and meet up at a point where he will be about 30min after you finish.

Note: Marshals will not allow you to ride against the flow of the cyclists coming to the finish. They’re  not really phased that you finishing again. But then again they don’t know it’s you’re second time.

Hypothetically, how would you track your wife ?

Thanks for the input folks, looks like my thoughts of over Kloofnek down to Camps bay is the best option.

We park at the waterfront, so I'll drop my chip off at the car and then head back.

8 hours ago, throttles said:

Does the hypothetical second coke taste better? 

Do you hypothetically get double finish photos? 

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

Thanks for the input folks, looks like my thoughts of over Kloofnek down to Camps bay is the best option.

We park at the waterfront, so I'll drop my chip off at the car and then head back.

This route, which I forgot about, is much less of a climb, and you can easily navigate back to Camps Bay from the Stadium.

image.png.ed65444e28cca657a235df8ccc7a1069.png

14 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

This route, which I forgot about, is much less of a climb, and you can easily navigate back to Camps Bay from the Stadium.

Thanks, that looks like a good option too.

22 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for this but in theory organisers might not react too kindly to someone crossing the line twice

Hypothetically if you cross the line a second time, you will have to go through the chutes again and the Rotary lady will give you another medal?

Maybe choose a different chute.🤔

28 minutes ago, i24 said:

Hypothetically if you cross the line a second time, you will have to go through the chutes again and the Rotary lady will give you another medal?

Maybe choose a different chute.🤔

Surely you deserve a medal for all the planning & effort that went into beating the system, dispose of your timing chip, make your way back and get back onto the route, find your partner and then get that second finish? 

22 hours ago, 'Dale said:

No tandem outing for me and Jonah this year.

He is navigating a new school environment, going for hip-hop classes on Saturdays and my workflow is quite high. I didn't roll the Argus in 2023 as I was in SwissLand and Germany with work. So, I will be in the chute doing my thing.

IMG_2981.jpeg

The race isn’t going anywhere. The seed is planted, it will happen when the stars and moon align. 

25 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Surely you deserve a medal for all the planning & effort that went into beating the system, dispose of your timing chip, make your way back and get back onto the route, find your partner and then get that second finish? 

its the second warm No Sugar Coke that I'm after :) 

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Hypothetically, how would you track your wife ?

Trackyourwife.co.za or 

trackyourneighborswife.co.za ..

hahaha.. we both have iPhones 😉

1 minute ago, throttles said:

Trackyourwife.co.za or 

trackyourneighborswife.co.za ..

hahaha.. we both have iPhones 😉

both with iphones makes it easier.

i was thinking of best option to track my mate in the race, i think whatsapp location sharing might just be the easiest.

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Does the hypothetical second coke taste better? 

Do you hypothetically get double finish photos? 

Yes and yes

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

This is what I suggested, highlevel road.

7 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

both with iphones makes it easier.

i was thinking of best option to track my mate in the race, i think whatsapp location sharing might just be the easiest.

You can share location via WhatsApp as well

its not the best, sometimes up to a 5min lag.