Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

Just now, throttles said:

its not the best, sometimes up to a 5min lag.

so not much worse than "find my" on iPhone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, throttles said:

This is what I suggested, highlevel road.

thanks, although I reside in Cape Town, the street names elude me. I know one or two, and that's about it.

11 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

so not much worse than "find my" on iPhone

Best app for tracking is Life360. Our whole family has it installed on various Samsung and Apple phones.

13 minutes ago, HOEKVLAG said:

Best app for tracking is Life360. Our whole family has it installed on various Samsung and Apple phones.

Man I hated that app, found it to be very intrusive. Don't want to know every time one of my family members strays a few meters from the house. Maybe there are some settings I misssed to make it less annoying but was just easier to delete it.

2 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Man I hated that app, found it to be very intrusive. Don't want to know every time one of my family members strays a few meters from the house. Maybe there are some settings I misssed to make it less annoying but was just easier to delete it.

Yeah, I've switched off the notifications, so not that annoying. Biggest worry is that the wife knows exactly where I am at all times...🤔

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

both with iphones makes it easier.

i was thinking of best option to track my mate in the race, i think whatsapp location sharing might just be the easiest.

Garmin connect has a Group event tracking feature - very easy to use, normaly about 100m off but you need phone to be paired the whole time.

Edited by Dexter-morgan

8 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Garmin connect has a Group event tracking feature - very easy to use, normaly about 100m off but you need phone to be paired the whole time.

if he was using garmin

Whatsapp is going to be the easiest. 

Guys, try this for tracking. It works awesome for me.

Safely Track Me.

You start by using the app but the tracking part for other people is via a web link. You can share the link on a group or to individuals via WhatsApp or any other way.

Edited by Gadgets
More info

2 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Garmin and whatsapp moer the battery when sharing. Apple not so much, it only looks for the person once the someone is looking for them.

5 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Surely you deserve a medal for all the planning & effort that went into beating the system, dispose of your timing chip, make your way back and get back onto the route, find your partner and then get that second finish? 

There is a medal, but we can't speak about such things on an open forum 😁

3 minutes ago, throttles said:

Garmin and whatsapp moer the battery when sharing. Apple not so much, it only looks for the person once the someone is looking for them.

my research today says that whatsapp will work much like Apple and only looks for the person when someone is looking for them

On 2/6/2024 at 4:00 PM, The Ouzo said:

my research today says that whatsapp will work much like Apple and only looks for the person when someone is looking for them

Google Maps also has location sharing. I have used it before during CTCT. You need cell phone data, reception and battery for it to do useful stuff. Setup is easy and the default settings are not too onerous - the sharing cancels automatically after an hour or day, depending on what you choose.

I use WhatsApp location sharing on my phone when I go cycling. >3 hours no problem. And that's on a Hauwei P30 from 2019 that is still going strong!

Sorry to derail the current hot topic, but I must just feel a bit sorry for myself. 

I WILL NOT BE DOING MY 20TH CONSECUTIVE ARGUS/CTCT THIS YEAR. (would have been my 21st was it not for the two cancelled years) My goal was to do 21 in a row, and then close the Argus/CTCT chapter. 

I had an emergency Laminectomy last week Tuesday after a bulging lumbar disc almost completely squashed my Sciatic nerve. (whilst doing my morning ablutions and getting comfy on the throne before my ride😪...) 

So I'm basically bedridden for three weeks, then rehab and only after about three months can I slowly get going on the trainer again.

But I must admit, the discomfort from the operation wound is a LOT better than that searing pain running from my glute all the way down to my calf. It was hell, I did not know how to sit, stand or lay down without the most excruciating pain.

But fear not, I'll be back for no. 20 next year......

57 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Sorry to derail the current hot topic, but I must just feel a bit sorry for myself. 

I WILL NOT BE DOING MY 20TH CONSECUTIVE ARGUS/CTCT THIS YEAR. (would have been my 21st was it not for the two cancelled years) My goal was to do 21 in a row, and then close the Argus/CTCT chapter. 

I had an emergency Laminectomy last week Tuesday after a bulging lumbar disc almost completely squashed my Sciatic nerve. (whilst doing my morning ablutions and getting comfy on the throne before my ride😪...) 

So I'm basically bedridden for three weeks, then rehab and only after about three months can I slowly get going on the trainer again.

But I must admit, the discomfort from the operation wound is a LOT better than that searing pain running from my glute all the way down to my calf. It was hell, I did not know how to sit, stand or lay down without the most excruciating pain.

But fear not, I'll be back for no. 20 next year......

That sucks ....

Speedy recovery.

Any chance of a very slow cruise on an ebike ?