Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

Hi, does anyone know when the mtb version is? And where? I can't find it. We are planning a few rides this weekend and don't want to clash with them. Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, AndreJvVZA said:

Hi, does anyone know when the mtb version is? And where? I can't find it. We are planning a few rides this weekend and don't want to clash with them. Thanks

Don’t worry, plan your rides , there won’t be a MTB version this year. Maybe next year

apprently (directly from CT Trust member) they are quite overwhelmed by the entry numbers and even more so but the little bite on the short route. 

27 minutes ago, babse said:

apprently (directly from CT Trust member) they are quite overwhelmed by the entry numbers and even more so but the little bite on the short route. 

109km entries stood at 23950 last night.

currently it’s 23876 for 109 and 2235 for 42 for a grand total of 26111.

this is considerably higher than any ctct post COVID 

Edited by DieselnDust

18 minutes ago, babse said:

Did the short route last year in stead of the 2nd lap, very uninspiring and boring, can't see the short route surviving in the long run if numbers on the long route pick up again.

59 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I am back to boost the number of entrants. Now that I live here fulltime I decided to enter this year. My last ride of CTCT was in 2005.

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

that's awesome, shows that the early bird entry system worked.

I thought the 42 would be a hit, but happy that people still want to hoopla all the way to cape point and back  rather

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Did the short route last year in stead of the 2nd lap, very uninspiring and boring, can't see the short route surviving in the long run if numbers on the long route pick up again.

I also did that and enjoyed the riders of all shapes and sizes and ages on a range as varied as the people looked like they were having a blast - I think there's a market for it. Most non- or very beginner riders think 109km is extremely far and the shorter distance feels like a more do-able challenge for them. I also enjoyed riding into CT down the M3 - not something a person gets to do often.

58 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

that's awesome, shows that the early bird entry system worked.

I thought the 42 would be a hit, but happy that people still want to hoopla all the way to cape point and back  rather

The 42 will take some time do grow. It’s only the 2nd year in a very bad economic climate. One could argue that since there are many ebikers in the 42 that maybe cost isn’t an issue we could take the view that with out the more economically active ebikers the 42 won’t have much of a market. I think the acid test is to reduce the entry fee for the 42 and see. …or just a survey

6 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I also did that and enjoyed the riders of all shapes and sizes and ages on a range as varied as the people looked like they were having a blast - I think there's a market for it. Most non- or very beginner riders think 109km is extremely far and the shorter distance feels like a more do-able challenge for them. I also enjoyed riding into CT down the M3 - not something a person gets to do often.

I cycled home on the M3 behind the 42 km riders. Its was very satisfying being able to use the road to just cruise home without some idiot in a steel cage polluting the environment with noise. I plan to do the same this year.

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Did you just roll back to the start line after your first lap and do the 42km route? Did you have any difficulty getting back into the start chutes after your first lap?

I did a second lap a couple of years ago. Is this still possible given the start time of the 42km route and the cutoff at the end of the M3?

5 minutes ago, ridearoundtheblock said:

Did you just roll back to the start line after your first lap and do the 42km route? Did you have any difficulty getting back into the start chutes after your first lap?

I did a second lap a couple of years ago. Is this still possible given the start time of the 42km route and the cutoff at the end of the M3?

After 10:30 the roads start opening from Steenberg and main. Only the M3 remains closed till 12:30. So if you cycle back to the start and just roll over the line down to the M3 the road is your oyster 

At the end of the M3 just turn left instead of right and head toward main if you want to ride a 2nd loop.

Edited by DieselnDust

11 minutes ago, ridearoundtheblock said:

Yes, entered both, made it back fairly comfortably but I did have a very early starting time for the full race.

Its not possible to do the second lap legally anymore as they use the beginning of the route for the short distance, but it should be possible if you want to risk doing it "unofficially", you just keep on going where the short route turns around at the blue route, sure one can find an excuse if a marshal is nosy..

32 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I started right at the back for the short route, was already late in the day when I got back from the "1st lap" so maybe that contributed to the anti-climax. For me the finish at the grand parade was also a bit of a downer, lacked the vibe of the cape town stadium.

But glad to see others had a positive experience 👍

5 hours ago, AndreJvVZA said:

When is it you ask? 

2018 maybe? 

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

When is it you ask? 

2018 maybe? 

Last was in 2020 in Banhoek (Pniel Primary was the start point)

6 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Todays long term  forecast 

IMG_0969.png

Headwind out always makes for bigger bunches and a more unsafe tour 😞 don’t feel like a repeat of last year